Sunday, 2 December 2012

A cruel twist of fate

Author Name: Deepa Duraisamy
Author Introduction: For Deepa Duraisamy, Indian classical music and her love for writing are two interests that have stayed with her through the years. A huge fan of the blogosphere and the plethora of perspectives it has exposed her to, she hopes that her writing would have a deeper purpose eventually. She blogs at Deepa's Kaleidoscope.

The story:

Trickling in through the thinly veiled windows, the warm rays of the morning sun illuminated the soft curls that cupped her face. Curled up in a foetal position, resting her head on her palm, with a shadow of a smile on her face, she represented a picture of tranquility. I realized I spoke too soon as the prevalent calm was suddenly interrupted by the chirping of wild birds outside our window. Straightening my tie one last time in the mirror, I caught her reflection mumble something unintelligently, like she was trying to hold on to the remnants of a dream, before she dove in further into the sheets. I yearned for these first few minutes of the day, when I could watch her sleep like a baby, without a worry in the world. Giving her a soft kiss, I caressed her hair and soothed her back to sleep, pulled the windows shut and drew the shades before turning my attention to my cell phone vibrating on the side table. 

Stumbling out of our bedroom, I sighed as the caller ID flashed the name Riya Abbas, my campaign manager. Contrary to how the media sensationalized us, contrary to the general view that politicians lived the high-life in huge mansions with dozens of servants and cars, ours too was a life that required truck loads of hard work, bucket loads of patience and a sane balanced mind to put on a cheery front for the cameras, no matter how bad your day was going. And then there was the general misconception, that most politicians are dirty. It was a tough life, I mused as I flipped my cell phone open.

“Good morning Riya. So, what’s today’s schedule look like?”

***

I waited for the telltale jingle of keys in the lock, signaling his departure and mentally counted down two more minutes before opening my eyes. The first couple of days had been easy but as we were nearing the big day it was getting way more difficult to pretend. Sometimes I wondered if my thudding heartbeats would give away the charade. Throwing the covers aside, I jumped up and peered through the blinds just in time to see his silhouette in the back seat of our Lexus as it rounded the corner and disappeared from view. Rubbing my hands with excitement, I pulled out the canvass along with my art supplies from under the bed. For the past week, I had been meticulously working on completing the portrait and now I could see it all come together. Gingerly tracing the contours on the canvas, my fingertips tingled at the prospect of his delight when he would view the finished piece. I could visualize the spark in his eyes, imagine him happy. Happy Second Anniversary sweetheart, I sang as I gave in to oblivion, my brush racing across the canvass, vivid yellows and burning crimsons playing havoc on the palette.

The shrill rings of the telephone felt jarring to my ears. Blocking my ears to the sound, I thought of letting it go to voicemail, tried to force the interruption out of my mind, willed myself to refocus on the portrait, but the spell had been broken. Wiping my colored hands on the dirt rag, I walked toward the living room where the telephone was still making its presence felt. Answering the call with grubby purple fingers, I unconsciously glanced at the wall clock only to realize with a start that a good three hours had passed. Lunch time was coming up soon and I had other appointments to keep. 

“Bhanushali Residence. Sandhya here.” I answered.
“Hello darling! How are you doing today?” The booming voice on the other end reminding me of the genie from the movie Aladdin, sending me into a fit of giggles that I struggled to keep a secret from the caller. Mr. Kurien was always making me laugh. The last two times that I had met him, I had to stuff my handkerchief into my mouth to stop myself from the silliness. But Mr. Kurien was a good sort, always making me feel at ease.
“Am good Mr. Kurien. How are you?” I asked.
“How many times have I told you to call me Marwan dear? He said intending to appear cross, but the warmth in his voice giving him away. I could almost visualize him wagging his fat little finger at me. It made me smile.
“Marwan. I know what you’re calling about. I’ll be there at 1. Just as planned.” I said.
“Excellent. I’ll get Coco too! I know you love having her around.” He said. We exchanged pleasantries, discussed a couple of changes that I had wanted to introduce and hung up. Calculating backwards from 1 PM, I figured that if the trip downtown would take me about forty minutes I had an hour at most to dress up.

***

Looking around me, I could feel the change in landscape as tall office buildings gave way to smaller rundown homes and trailers. There were no pretty lines of trees or shrubs, only long unbending dirt roads. The temperatures had steadily risen, leaving us feeling hot and humid and our speeding car left a trail of dirt smog in its wake. Loosening my tie, I ordered the driver to up the air conditioning. Beside me, Riya sat patiently wording and re-wording my speech, no doubt mulling the lines over and over in her mind. Just looking at her decked up from head to toe in black, with the hijab covering even her face, I sweat some more. I wondered how she could appear so relaxed when even with my sleeves rolled up, I couldn’t wait to switch to something more comfortable. She must have sensed my gaze because the very next second she looked up at me and smiled, the warmth of her smile reflecting in her eyes. It reminded me of Sandhya instantly, the way her eyes would dance when she was happy. But that was the extent of similarity between the two ladies. While Riya was an extrovert, gung-ho and raring to go, confident and extremely assertive, my wife Sandhya was more soft-spoken yet poised. She rarely put herself in the limelight, preferring to stay by the sidelines and silently support my ventures instead.

Without warning, the brick-walled twin towers of the State Womens’ Correctional Facilities loomed up in front of me. Adjoining it was a smaller building, the John Hopkins Mental Health Rehabilitation Center simply referred to as the MHRC, the venue of my speech and outreach activities this morning. 

Once inside, since the matron had been expecting us and everything had been set up well in advance, we breezed through the customary security checks and the necessary paperwork. As a lead volunteer with a charitable organization, I had been visiting the MHRC twice every year for the past five years and had built a good working rapport with the center and its inmates as a whole, but this was the first time I was here in the capacity of a politician. As we got nearer to the auditorium, we could hear a faint mingling of voices far away, a buzz that steadily garnered volume and culminated in an uproar as we made an entry center stage. Packed to capacity with 900 inmates, the auditorium erupted in a heady applause. But the only sound that my mind registered was the thudding of my heart. Everything else around me had transformed into a mind numbing silence. 

From the ceiling at regular intervals were hung black-and-white photograph enlargements of the MHRC success stories. Some that I was familiar with and some new ones. Beside me, I heard a gasp and from the corner of my eye, I saw Riya suck in her breath. Up ahead, Sandhya’s serene face smiled back at us from one of the photograph enlargements.

***

“Finalized the menu dear?” Mr. Kurien asked me as I stopped by his office.
“Yes Marwan I did.” I said, as Coco skittered around at my ankles. She was a cute little Maltese and had taken an instant liking to me when we had first met. Taking a seat as Mr. Kurien beckoned me over, I took out the folders containing flyers and pictures that he had asked for on the phone and handed them over to him. We went over the seating again, rearranging names and tables, making changes to the linen and flower arrangements. That Deepak was slated to get voted in as the Minister for State for Human Resources for huge in itself. The polls were set to close tomorrow and the estimated results so far looked extremely promising. The fact that the swearing in day coincided with our anniversary made the day all the more special and I wanted everything to be perfect. With Mr. Kurien’s help I was putting together a small dinner celebration for Deepak, his campaign team and his close associates, many of whom already knew about my plans but had promised to keep it a secret from Deepak.

“He’s the first Asian to become a Minister isn’t he?” Mr. Kurien’s voice interrupted my musings.
“Yes. He is.” I gushed feeling proud.
“He’ll make a fine minister, you just see! ” He said. I smiled in response.  We discussed banners and welcome speeches, drinks and appetizer handouts for twenty more minutes and then decided to wrap up for the day. Mr. Kurien promised to keep me updated with the progress and call me the minute a hitch came up. 

The drive back home was extremely uneventful except for an accident on the E24 freeway that held up traffic for a while. I was looking forward to complete the grandiose painting and walking up the stairs, my mind had already started conjuring up shades and hues. My feet came to a stop as my eyes settled in on a white manila envelope left by our door with my name on it. With the recent polls, we had received a few threats but they had  all been directed toward Deepak. I did not remember the last time I had gotten mail. 

I ripped apart the envelope expecting to read a threat letter but was surprised when a Polaroid fell out of it. The ground under my feet gave away as my eyes recognized the subjects. My heart bled as I found Deepak in a compromising position with a female, a redhead. I knew that it was too intimate to be misunderstood, that there had to be some truth to the picture. But my mind refused to acknowledge the interpretation. I tore open the envelope to see if it had an accompanying letter, but it was empty. My eyes welled up as I flipped the picture over and read the inscription on the back. ‘I love you Anna. Always will. 2011’. Sinking to my knees, I held the picture close to my heart and sobbed. Dozens of questions tormented my mind. Who was Anna? Why was she with my husband? What did it mean? We had been married in 2010. How could I believe that Deepak was unfaithful? But how else would you explain the picture? 

***

The past seven months had been a blur. The incessant rhythm of working nights and weekends for the campaign, contemplating on funding, managing inter-cultural ties, attending black tie dinners which were more business than pleasure, meetings with state representatives, media consultants and the like was taking a toll on me, much more than I had expected it would. Two days to go for the poll results to be declared and the homestretch was already beginning to seem like Mt. Everest. And now I had come face to face with the biggest shock of my life. How could Sandhya be a success story of MHRC? It couldn’t be possible. I knew her entire past. But could she have held this back from me? I couldn’t imagine doubting her integrity for even a second. With every passing minute, the exasperation of not knowing was killing me. In my anxiety, I pulled out thread after thread from the worn chair in the matron’s office as I waited for her and Dr. Matthews to join us. Dr. Matthews was the intake doctor, the man who handled new patients. Through the thin slates of glass in the door, I could make out Riya pacing the floor making calls.   

Suddenly I felt so tired of it all. I could manage political problems thrown at me. I could fend off security issues, financial worries, threats and more but when something like this hit so close to home, I wasn’t sure how to proceed. I heard footsteps as Dr. Matthews walked in followed by the matron. We shook hands curtly, I was not in the mood for niceties. I was driven by the need to know what success story #3 had been treated for. What had she been suffering from? When had she been incarcerated here? When had she been released? But both the matron and Dr. Matthews seemed to be dragging their feet. 

“Why wouldn’t you tell me? I know its my wife.” I begged.
“With all due respect Sir, All you see is a face who looks like your wife. You do not have a confirmation that the woman in the picture is indeed your wife. We only use pictures, no names and only after obtaining all the requisite permissions.” The matron said.
“Mr. Bhanushali.” Dr. Matthews started, his voice calm yet his tone firm, leaving no room for discussion. “I know all about your campaigns. I know you run a clean show, you do not cut corners, you do not accept or offer anything under the table, you are a people’s man. You genuinely work for us.” I didn’t know where he was going with this, but considering that I was the one at his mercy here, I decided to let him finish what he had started.
“I know you genuinely value your profession.” Dr. Matthews said and a pregnant pause followed. I could sense the wall around him go higher as he continued. “Which is why I expect the same kind of courtesy from you. You don’t want to do this Deepak. You wouldn’t want me to dishonor doctor-patient privileges. Do you? Talk to your wife. If there’s any truth to it, you should be hearing it from her.”

***

Seeing Deepak’s name flash on my cell phone, I smiled. Lately he had taken to calling at all hours of the day, just to murmur sweet nothings. I pushed the picture of Anna out of my mind. It had to be a misunderstanding and nothing else. I could rely on Deepak to tide me through tough times. I was sure Deepak would be able to explain it away. He had been there for me before and I knew he would be there for me now. 

“Hi there! Miss me already?” I said as I flipped it open.
“Sandhya.” He said. The single word spoken without emotion scared me. Why didn’t he seem happy to hear my voice? Anna came alive before my eyes again. I couldn’t respond.
“Sandhya. We need to talk.” He sounded sad.
“What happened Deepak? Is everything okay?” I asked, mustering as much courage as I could.
“There is something I need to talk to you about. I am sending a car for you. Roger will drive you here.”
“What happened? Why can’t we talk tonight?” I asked, hoping to delay the inevitable. Maybe if I could pretend the problem it doesn’t exist, it would go away.
“No. It cannot wait. There’s something we have to talk about. Right now. Just trust me and come.”

His words stayed with me long after he had disconnected. Right now. Before Tuesday. Before our anniversary. He didn’t want to go through another one with me. He was choosing Anna over me. He had made his decision. 

***

Sandhya would be here in an hour, I surmised looking at my watch. I needed to know her side of the story. I was willing to believe her, help her wade through whatever problems she had been facing alone till now. We had dreamed of a life together, of having children, of growing old together. All this while I had slept by her side and I never known how much she had been hurting.

I heard Riya’s heels click in fast succession on the tiled floor before I saw her sprint in my direction. Through the veil, I saw fear in her eyes.  And an emotion I couldn’t quite discern. She skidded to a halt in front of me and said in a single breath, spoken in a way that knocked the wind out of me. 

“Its Riya. She .. she cut herself.” 

***

Watching the warm red liquid gush out in trinkets gave me a comfort I hadn’t experienced in a long time. The pain permeating throughout my body like a thousand pinpricks made me feel giddy and light headed. One minute I was floating high up in the clouds looking down to see Deepak smile up at me. The very next minute, I was running up and down the beach, the wind in my hair and the waves lashing at my feet. I could feel my migraine fade away, could feel the sliced up skin on my wrist close up magically healing me inside out. 

There was a tinge of saltiness to it. I had never tasted it before, never knew that it could be salty. Were these tears? Why was I crying? I wanted to be alone on the beach. Who were all these people? Why was it so noisy? More needle pricks on my arm. Strange, I don’t remember holding a razor blade. My eyes traversed down to the gash on my skin. When did it turn white? Was that gauze? In the distance I could hear a cacophony of voices, above me lights flashed in regular intervals. Intermittently a lady donning a white coat materialized by my side. She reminded me of Anna. Beautiful Anna. Prettier than me, more confident looking. And Deepak loved her. More tears flowed down my cheeks. He loved Anna. He wanted to be with her always. I had found comfort and love after such a long time. Why do you look so familiar Anna? What is it about you that reminds me of someone? Coco is playfully nipping at my ankles. He loves the beach too. I am happy with Coco. Deepak will be happy with Anna. He loves her. Not me. He doesn’t want me. The tears don’t stop. 

***

She lay there like a zombie, her face covered with an oxygen mask, myriad wires streaming out from her body and hooked to different machines that beeped intermittently. She had been slipping in and out of consciousness. Deepak sat by her side, crying, confused, unable to comprehend what had happened. Her charts, opened to her previous medical history lay next to him but the words didn’t register. The chart had listed it all. Schizophrenia, prone to hallucinations, prone to depression, three prior suicide attempts. How had he lived with her, loved her all this time and yet missed the signs? The anti-depressants that she had popping every night, passing them off as multi-vitamins. The heavy pill-induced sleep that she succumbed to every night. He had simply assumed it to be tension-free comfortable sleeping. The sounds that she had always claimed to hear, which he had laughed off as silly dreams. The excited manner in which she would flit from topic to topic, with no links or logical connections. The way she would be happy one moment and sad the next. How had he not put it together? How had he never given it even a second thought? 

As her eyes fluttered open, she saw Deepak sitting by her side. A final sliver of hope wanted her to fight against her weakness, wanted her to stay alive. She uncurled her fingers and beckoned him near. 

“Sandhya. Stay with me baby.” His voice broke, as he struggled with emotion.
“I love you Deepak. Always have.” She whispered, the few words taking up all her energy.
“Shhh .. Shhh ... You don’t have to say anything. Just hang in there baby. It’ll be alright.”

Standing beside Deepak, through the slits in her hijab Riya’s eyes met Sandhya’s over the rim of the hospital bed. And suddenly it all clicked into place. Those eyes, Sandhya realized. So that’s what had niggled at her memory. She had known something about Anna was familiar. It should have been obvious. Deepak spent every moment of his day with her. She should have known. 

The revelation drew all hope out of her. She no longer had any desire to live. She had loved him with every fibre of her being and her memories of the love she had received in return were enough for her. She was content to leave.

“All you had to was ask.” She whispered, her eyes revealing a deep sadness. her voice sounding resigned just as the machines starting beeping incessantly. 

Doctors and nurses came running in and started shooting orders arounds. Crash carts were pulled in, Deepak and Riya ushered out of the room curtly and asked to stay out. But their best efforts seemed futile. The ECG had started registering a flatline. 

Standing behind Deepak, Riyanna Abbas wiped her false tears and smiled subtly. Life had dealt her a lousy set but she had played her cards well. All through her life, she had been the wretched one. Second hand clothes, second hand toys, second hand fathers, even second hand boyfriends. Her own mother had bailed on her. And then when she had finally set her eyes on Deepak, the dashing debonair slated to reach the top position in Australian politics, she had been robbed of that dream too. But Lady Luck had finally smiled at her. 

Who had known that as part of the campaign, in an attempt to ensure that there were no skeletons in the Bhanushali’s closet, she would come face to face with the chilling reality of Sandhya having been an inmate at the MHRC? Exposing Sandhya’s reality to Deepak had only been a part of it. She had backed up her plan by getting the morphed picture of her and Deepak delivered to Sandhya. One way or the other, she knew they would get separated. She chuckled at the thought of her ex-boyfriend. He would have thrown a fit if he had known what the picture would be used for. Beside her, Roger cuddled his $100 bills, his reward for procuring the picture from the Bhanushali’s house before it caught anybody’s attention and keeping quiet about it. Riyanna smiled. It was a small price to pay for what was to follow. 

Spotting Deepak sobbing in the corner, she moved towards him. She would be his crutch during the upcoming result declarations. Sandhya had even made it easier by dying on him. Sympathy votes could do wonders for his career. It was time to lend a shoulder, time to play the supportive colleague, time to show that she was a friend in need, more than a friend if he needed one. She had paved the path for her entry into the life of politics, for a glamorous life ahead. She gave one final mocking salute in her head to the people who had always downplayed her and took Deepak’s hand in hers. Time to get to work. 

39 comments:

  1. Oops I did it again! Na na, not the Britney Spears one!
    "Gush out in trinkets" should have been "gushing out" or "trickle out"!
    I don't know why I end up mis-typing words! Did that in edition 1 too - Stumble had become stumped!!!! Its like I start typing the word and after the first 3-4 letters it becomes something else! Big time proof reading needed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I have so many typos! Machines started beeping NOT starting beeping! Orders around NOT arounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please read “Its Sandhya. She .. she cut herself.” instead of “Its Riya. She .. she cut herself.”

      Delete
  3. I read a similar plot by TF. Deepa, I saw many typos too :). And, it is it's not its. The ending was terrific. I found the story a bit dijointed. I don't know why. I mean the transitions were rapid. I need to read it again :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachna! Thank you for the comment! :)
      Yes, the plot would be the same because that's the intent of this workshop :) We all write on the same plot but do it in our own writing styles and narratives. Reviews can be anything related to writing styles, narratives, language, punctuation, anything and everything! The plot for this edition can be accessed here. I didn't see it initially but now when you pointed it out I am starting to feel the same way too :( Especially after I read TF's entry where he's done part of the scenes from both views. Perfect vantage point style! I think I tried to club a few hours timeline into a quick story and the timeline didn't quite fit well. Will need to work more on transitions. I have received that weak-transition comment earlier too on one of my stories :( Thank you for letting me know!

      Delete
    2. Spot on about the its and it's and typos! I need to work on my editing!

      Delete
  4. I know, it is tough to write on other people's conception and I know it is tough to write on such a topic. So proud of you girl, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ghazala! Yeah it does become a little tough but the workshop helps keep up the writing momentum and helps me explore more than a few angles to a plot :D Its nice to get perspective also reading all others' posts! Thank you for the vote of confidence! :D

      Delete
  5. Very well conceived! Taut pacy and a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the vote of confidence Magiceye! I am glad you liked it!

      Delete
  6. You did a good job Deepa. Specially writing on an already conceived plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jas! Am glad you liked it! Yes, writing on someone else's plot does make it a tad different than usual, but its fun! :D

      Delete
  7. Incredible!!!Mindblowing!! I can't write half as good as this....You are freaking amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're either overestimating me or underestimating yourself :) Because, I do see that your story got selected too for the Fablery anthology! :) So first let me convey my Congratulations !!! And now - thank you for the appreciation! :) Those were extremely kind words!

      Delete
  8. very very very well written......

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, Deepa - the strongest aspect of your narrative is how you work on small mundane details, describe them with visual impact and weave them into the mood of the character. That kind of reflects the confidence of the writer and the story reads like it is written by a pro. It also makes the story feel more real and alive to the reader. That is something I need to learn. I usually focus more on the things relevant to the bigger picture.

    The comparison between Riya and Sandhya was a good touch. In general narrative was pacy. The similes and metaphors were appropriate Mostly the emotions were well managed. The ending had a wow effect. Most people like a surprise ending and you gave the readers a real shocker that would have thrilled the readers. I purposely avoided doing anything of that sort because in general I am good at plots. Narrative is my weakness. So I had decided from now on, in these exercises I shall try and carry the story through the strength of narrative and not use a strong plot line to shield a weaker narrative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honest to God, I saw this in Radha's comments too about the work on the detail - but I don't do those intentionally. I'm still trying to understand from these reviews - which part of the extract is considered as detail and which one's not :) Most of the time the words just flow :D But I feel honored by the appreciation! Somehow my stories keep getting converted into suspense kinds or thrillers kinds. While it is definitely good as you say that people like surprise endings, I need to work on the other kind too! :) And about the criticism comment of yours, you had to save the best for the last didn't you! :D

      Delete
    2. The details are the ones that do not make a material difference to the story. Whether accident occurred or not, whether a vase was yellow or blue,whether Kurien was fat or thin, it makes no difference to the story. In real life, we see so many things that do not make any difference to out life. So by describing these kind of irrelevant things, you make it look real. But you run a great risk of boring the reader. So it requires a very mature writer to pull it off with finesse.

      Delete
    3. I feel like I am having the Wren and Martin conversation all over again, when I know that something fits or doesn't, when I probably know how to work my way around it to a decent extent but I don't know the technical term for it. Thank you for that piece of enlightenment TF! Yes, its a risk :( Too much of anything can be harmful.

      Delete
  10. Now the tough part: the criticism. And I am not going to go easy on you. It is not without reason I was known in blog-o-sphere more for my criticism than my writing.

    To start with, the character of Riya. Though you mention Hijab, what you have described is actually a Burqa. And tough to imagine a woman in burqa being a campaign manager in a western county, having boy friend and letting explicit photos be shot etc. Also Anna sounds like a western name while Riya is middle Eastern. And why would Riya send her own photo to Sandhya, creating risk of discovery of her plot, when she could have sent that of a random woman?

    In the first section the line "Contrary to .. " seems rather abrupt and disrupts the smooth serene flow of the narrative.

    I find it strange that Sandhya wakes up just as soon as Deepak leaves. She could either have woken up in time to see him and say goodbye or if it is the drugs, slept on till much later.

    I feel the discovery of the photo did not have the desired effect. It went too rapidly in my opinion. It should have been longer and more gradual letting the whole shock sink into the reader as well.

    Similarly I felt Deepak's discovery of Sandhya's past was kind of hazy and confused beating around the bush and not so smooth flowing.

    In the final scene, I feel the discovery of Riya's treachery did not have that clap of thunder it should have had. You should have made it more dramatic like say a scene of Riya giving orders to Roger on phone before you describe her history.

    And of course the transitions. I think it would have worked better if you had followed same scheme throughout -either every alternate scene starts at same point and run parallel from each POV or alternate scenes end at same point like mine or,the next scene begins where the previous one ends. You did not maintain consistency different things for different transitions confusing the reader a bit about the timelines.

    Hope my points made sense and did not seem like needless nitpicking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "And I am not going to go easy on you." made me smile and then brave myself for an onslaught! :) I'll go point by point.

      1. Riya's Hijab: I thought so too initially, but then was reading The Imam’s Daughter around the time I was working on the post and the female kept saying hijab there - to cover her face, head and arms - so I got confused. Bad research, my fault! I should have confirmed.

      2. Campaign manager: My thought was that it would be difficult to imagine her as a campaign manager for a presidential campaign, but this is pretty low in the hierarchy. Plus its the first time Deepak, an Asian is becoming a Minister, so I thought maybe he had his campaign being led by an Asian too? I don’t know. If it wasn’t convincing, guess I should have it made it more!

      3. Boyfriend: If she’s a campaign manager, then she can have a boyfriend too right? :) But no explicit photos there. The photo with her boyfriend was a private one (that’s why its an intimate photo) which she has morphed. But if I had to explain this, then this character just falls flat on her face :( Guess, will have to work on character convictions some more!

      4. Anna: True. But the only thing she was trying to do is not tie herself back to the photo. Because Sandhya has not seen Riya, she thought she could get away with a fake name. Again, too many open questions from my end not good!

      5. Why send her photo: Because if Sandhya knows its Riya and Deepak, in her fragile state she may like leave Deepak or even if she doesn’t she will confront him and he will deny it (Roger’s already picked up the photo, so there’s no evidence anymore), so they will fight and the relationship would crack. Bad bad bad on my part if there’s so much explaining I have to do after the fact!

      6. Contrary to - Accepted!

      7. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. She was pretending!!!! “The first couple of days had been easy but as we were nearing the big day it was getting way more difficult to pretend. Sometimes I wondered if my thudding heartbeats would give away the charade.” Was that not evident then? :( Should I have reworded it?

      8. Discoveries - All 3 - Sandhya-photo, Deepak-Sandhya’s mental, Riya’s treachery - I have a bad habit of running too fast, running away with the storyline when I try to throw a twist. With all three scenes that’s what happened. Was trying to make it a high-voltage suspense end for that scene but didn’t have the intended effect. in my opinion, elaborating on it would dilute the effect right, so more build up? What do you suggest? Or maybe the Sandhya-photo scene could be elaborated and drawn out but the other two needed more buildup?

      9. Transitions. Yep, got that from Rachna. Need to work on those. I liked how you had done yours from Scene 1 to Scene 2 - overlaying part of the scene! That was cool.

      Thank you for the detailed review TF!

      Delete
    2. 2. A Muslim woman in Hijab would have been fine. But campaign manager is all about communication. Can't imagine a woman in burqa doing something like that. It just does not fit. If she is taking up an un-islamic profession, why does she have to wear such conservative garments?

      5. Yeah. But too much left to chance. It could have easily fallen into wrong hands. Would have been safer to send pic of a random woman.

      7. Why is she pretending? Guess I did not understand why she was pretending. Usually if something does not fit, I skip over those lines.

      8. I don't think all 3 twists were similar. Sandya discovering photo, I feel you could have worked a bit more on the emotions and made reader feel her sadness more deeply. For Deepak's discovery, you brought it on nicely. But the conversation with the doctor got too stilted and in between you talked about something else also. So I felt it went off all over the place. You could have managed that with more discipline. The last one - you brought it on too casually. You missed the chance to shock the reader.

      Delete
    3. 2. Got it! That last question of yours hit the nail on the head.
      3. Or if I could have justified her reason for sending it leaving no room for something going wrong, then it might have worked.
      4. Because she wanted to wait till he leaves to paint because it's a surprise. But then you'll ask why can't she just start once he leaves? And to that I have no answer! My bad!
      8. Yep. Agreed. Will need to try some rewrites with those scenes.

      Delete
  11. Amazing narrative Deepa! You've taken what we thought to be a love story and turned it into a sinister thriller. Good job!

    The beginning was very nicely done. I love the way you introduce the readers to Deepak, the doting husband and the precious bond he shares with his wife. As he quits the bedroom, you gave us a glimpse of his devotion to his profession.

    The second scene continues just as sweetly, with Sandhya planning a surprise for her loving husband. Here you introduce us to a couple of new characters- Mr. Kurien and Coco. I make a mental note to myself to watch out for these characters later as you may have wound them in a sub-plot. The physical description of Mr. Kurien is intelligently done.

    The next scene takes us to Riya Abbas- Deepak's campaign manager. A thought though- why isn't Sandhya accompanying Deepak to these campaigns? I think it is a popular practice to take wives and kids along in election campaigns- to connect better with the people in your constituency and present that 'dependable-family-guy' image.

    Coming back to Riya, her physical description is perfect. You can almost see her sketched in front of your eyes- the hijab, the cool demeanor, business-like. You begin to wonder if there is something more to her relationship with Deepak, especially when he mentally compares her with his wife. Another thought here, wouldn't the general public be obsessing over this possibility too? Wouldn't his political adversaries be trying to create a scandal out of the whole scenario?
    I am also a little confused about the timelines here- is the election done and over with? Has he been declared the winner? If that is the case, why is he still campaigning around?

    The next scene takes us back to Sandhya and her preparations. Mr. Kurien turns out to be nothing more than a party planner. Did the story really need his character? Similarly, the accident on the way back- did it have any significance?
    Sandhya's discovery of the photograph and her ruminations over it's possible implications has been very nicely written. Readers love suspense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Medha. Can I say I am in love with thrillers :D Unfortunately with Mr. Kurien and Coco - I introduced Coco later but that was the only way I could have done it. There are no stray dogs here, had to belong to someone :) Plus, initially when I had thought of Mr. Kurien, I had thought of showing the now-happy-now-sad side of Sandhya with Mr. Kurien but I couldn't get it to fit.

      Sandhya has always been a behind-the-scenes as Deepak puts it "She rarely put herself in the limelight, preferring to stay by the sidelines and silently support my ventures instead.". But I wanted to show Sandhya's POV there as to her fear that she might break in the public eye, but I missed out on that too.

      No no; the election will come to an end soon. That's why I have mentioned "The polls were set to close tomorrow and the estimated results so far looked extremely promising. " Was it not sufficient?

      The accident yeah - nothing as much, just a mundane detail.

      Delete
  12. The next scene- back at the MHRC- should have begun where the last had been left off- Deepak's shocked and confused self. The talk about the last few months of his political career distracts the reader away from the main issue- the shocking discovery of Sandhya's illness.

    The phone call between Sandhya and Deepak has been immaculately done. One can sense the urgency, the feeling of dread and the impatience on either side.
    [I] “Sandhya.” He said. The single word spoken without emotion scared me. [/I]
    Wow.

    I honestly did not see the end coming. I pride myself in figuring out plots in mystery novels but this one shocked me. It is one of those 'eyes-popping- out-of-sockets' endings. And it fit perfectly into the story. Unconventional and very smart, Deepa.
    You have done good research on Sandhya's illness and described the symptoms well.
    Another thought here- if Riya's motive was to wake Sandhya to the possibility of an affair between her and Deepak, why was the photograph carrying Anna's name?

    Everything aside, you've done a great job. Your diction and descriptions are perfect. Your writing style, we all know, is splendid.
    Thank you for a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, already got beaten up about the transitions! You're right. That talk about the career was ill-placed. The shocking discovery's flow gets broken. I should be placed it elsewhere!

      I am glad you liked Riya's character sketch and specially the ending! About the possibility of a scandal - why should there be? All around the world there are females - not only as campaign managers but in various roles that need them to be together long hours of the day. Also, Deepak is only mentally comparing to his wife - not in a bad or suggestive way too. There's no public unprofessional relationship shown.

      You probably didn't figure it out only because you weren't looking for a thriller. As you said, you were expecting a love story, something that I am lousy at writing!

      To your question about the photograph carrying Anna's name: Since you're the second person asking this, am convinced I should have factored this into Riya's thought process. I just typed Riya's 'thought' about using the name Anna in TF's comment response. And I don't have it saved :( I just hit Publish, so will wait for him to moderate!

      Thank you for your review Medha! :)

      Delete
  13. It's the way you have written, is what made me ask you to be included in this group. What else can I say? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it Janaki! Welcome to IFW! It's a great place to be!

      Delete
  14. What can I say? You are getting better with each post just like wine!! I am awed by the way you wove the story; so much to learn from you!!! Thanks for a wonderful wonderful read!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Naba! That's some really beautiful praise indeed :) I'm glad you liked the story! Makes the fact that I am getting chewed up about my weak points, a little easier to digest :)

      Delete
  15. Hi Deepa, I will be doing this in sections.

    I loved the scene you have created in the first paragraph. I can imagine the bedroom, a sleeping Sandhya murmuring into the sheets and a doting Deepak. I wish you hadn't talked about the birds chirping at all, because it takes me away from the scene but doesn't serve any purpose.

    Similarly, the ‘contrary to...’ statement in the second paragraph sounds out of place. You should probably place it somewhere else in the narrative, its nice :-)

    The next scene, where you describe Sandhya's portrait plans is written very well. The line 'Happy Second Anniversary sweetheart, I sang as I gave in to oblivion, my brush racing across the canvass, vivid yellows and burning crimsons playing havoc on the palette' is really nice.

    The sentence 'The shrill rings felt jarring to my ears' doesn't sound right, the word 'felt' doesn't convey the break in the thoughts. Maybe 'the shrill rings of the telephone broke my reverie, the noise jarring my ears' might work better.

    ‘Answering the call with grubby purple fingers, I unconsciously glanced at the wall clock only to realize with a start that a good three hours had passed. Lunch time was coming up soon and I had other appointments to keep.
    “Bhanushali Residence. Sandhya here.” I answered.’
    I like the way you include the minute details like looking at the wall clock and the purple fingers. But here, this detail disconnects the reader from the flow of events. When you say ‘answering the call with grubby purple fingers…’ and then go on to convey how much time has passed, I feel that call has already been answered and maybe you will tell me about it later. But then, the conversation starts.

    Moving on, I loved the way you have written the telephonic conversation and sketched Mr. Kurien. I can imagine his jolly voice and his stubby fingers. And I wonder who or what is Coco.

    In the next section,
    ‘There were no pretty lines of trees or shrubs, only long unbending dirt roads. The temperatures had steadily risen, leaving us feeling hot and humid and our speeding car left a trail of dirt smog in its wake. Loosening my tie, I ordered the driver to up the air conditioning.'
    Can we change the squence of thoughts here?
    ‘There were no pretty lines of trees or shrubs, only long unbending dirt roads. Our speeding car left a trail of dirt smog in its wake. The temperatures had steadily risen, leaving us feeling hot and humid. Loosening my tie, I ordered the driver to up the air conditioning.'
    Thing is, in the first case, you mention the roads, then the temperature, then the people in the car, then the roads again, and then the people again. Maybe its just me. What do you think?

    After that, you tell us more about Sandhya through Deepak, who thinks that she is the silent supportive wife. But the Sandhya you have created is a naughty person, always excited about things around her. Was this intentional?

    The build up as they walk towards the auditorium is really good. The use of climax is very effective. Again, I wish you hadn't added the 'but the only sound . . . mind numbing silence' lines at all. Instead, you could continue with some more description of the ambience of the auditorium - probably build a climax, and end the scene at Sandhya's face. The way it is right now, it comes too abruptly and its gravity doesn't sink in. Having said that, I like the way you introduce Sandhya's problem - at a very testing time, in such a public way, must have been really hard on Deepak. Also, the sentence 'Up ahead...' has a very good effect. Once it sinks in, I start feeling really really helpless.

    You cannot help describing the detail, can you? :-) It is evident from the way you take the pains to tell us about the accident, though it isn't of direct relevance to the plot. This reflects your maturity as a writer. It will be your strength when you move on to bigger narratives with larger word limits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the detailed review Sandhya! Will respond in the same way.

      1. Thank you :) About the chirping - I needed to get Sandhya to murmur something unintelligently and then dive into her sheets. In my mind, that would happen if her sleep was disturbed - and hence the chirping. I had to have her convince Deepak she was sleeping because its only in the second scene that we come to know she was pretending. However, point noted - everything else was a visual effect, the auditory intro here interrupted the flow! Will keep in mind :)

      2. Contrary to - TF said it too! Got it :D

      3. Yeah now that you say it, it doesn't feel right to me either. I should probably reword that!

      4. Oh. Hmm. The glance at the wall clock should probably have in between the conversation or right before she hangs up because she sees the time and remembers she's got to get ready? That sort. Yep.

      5. If you had simply reworded it, I wouldn't have understood. But its nice how you gave the explanation with people/roads/temperature! Thank you! Very helpful.

      6. Yes. Intentional. Because I was trying to show different shades of Sandhya. I wanted to do some more of that in the conversation with Mr. Kurien - that and Coco were the reason for his existence in my story - but ran out of ideas and word limits!

      7. Yeah - more build up definitely needed. I wrote in response to TF too - when trying to introduce suspense, I tend to run too fast in my story. Need to give effective buildup! Thank you for the rest of it!

      8. I have no idea that I do it so much :D Its not intentional. The words just flow. I am hoping it would be of help when I move to novel length stories :D

      Delete
  16. Anyway, moving on, the words 'compromising position' seem to be coming from a reporter, not from the wife. Similarly, people generally write the year and month on a picture. Only the year makes it look phoney.

    In the next section, the description of the past seven months sounds out of place and breaks the flow of the story.

    'Suddenly I felt so tired of it all. I could manage political problems thrown at me. I could fend off security issues, financial worries, threats and more but when something like this hit so close to home, I wasn’t sure how to proceed.' Nice. Gives us an insight into Deepak's phyche.

    I loved the conversation between Dr. Matthews and Deepak. It gives the doc a set of very valid, irrefutable arguments and also sketches a picture of Deepak's campaign without Deepak telling us about it. Smart!!

    In the next section, the conversation between Sandhya and Deepak has been written very well.
    'The single word spoken without emotion scared me. Why didn’t he seem happy to hear my voice? Anna came alive before my eyes again.'
    '. . . hoping to delay the inevitable. Maybe if I could pretend the problem it doesn’t exist, it would go away.'
    Excellent portrayal of her fear. I can imagine her to be on the verge of tears, her voice trembling slightly...

    'Right now. Before Tuesday. Before our anniversary. He didn’t want to go through another one with me. He was choosing Anna over me. He had made his decision.' Awesome.

    In the next section, the paragraph 'I heard . . . knocked the wind out of me' has a very thrilling effect. I find myself in the moment with Riya's heels and the look in her eyes. And citing the effect before the cause also creates a thrill here.


    The entire section that follows is brilliant! The beach, the voices, the lady in a white coat - wow. 'Coco is playfully nipping at my ankles. He loves the beach too. I am happy with Coco. Deepak will be happy with Anna. He loves her. Not me. He doesn’t want me. The tears don’t stop.' Absolutely wonderful.

    I also liked the way you have described the symptoms of schizophrenia and made Deepak connect the dots from the past. But there seems to be a disconnection between the first and second paragraphs of this section, as you move from Deepak to Sandhya.

    However, the unfolding of facts at every stage, as you move from Deepak to Sandhya and from Sandhya to Riya is very well executed. The Riyanna suspense is amazing. And the lines 'Standing behind Deepak, Riyanna Abbas wiped her false tears and smiled subtly. Life had dealt her a lousy set but she had played her cards well.' are very nice! The way you tell us her full name has a very different effect. The sentence about second hand stuff peaks volumes about Riyanna, her character and her past. You have added another layer to her character by making her think of sympathy votes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. :) Yep, compromising position seems impersonal :D
      2. Year.month.date - Details Deepa Details - sometimes too many details, sometimes too less!
      3. Career description - Yep, acknowledged. Got that from Medha too :(
      4. Thank you for your appreciation on Deepak's state of mind, conversation with doctor and Sandhya! I'm glad they had the intended effect! Atleast the one with Sandhya. And the conversation with the doctor was an outcome of my first edition's review by TF where I had been told to "Show not tell". I'm glad its working! :)
      5. Thank you for the whole mental state of Sandhya part. In the third person POV, I probably didn't even need Sandhya there. Don't know why I added those lines! Had to show her losing hope somehow!
      6. Yeah I guess the suspense played out its intended effect! :)

      Delete
  17. But having said that, all this makes Riya a very prominent character. You have created a better, more complete character sketch of Riya than that of Sandhya and Deepak. It is probably fine if this were an independent story, but keeping the intent of the workshop in mind, it might not be a good idea.

    Also, the challenge of this edition was using two different povs and connecting them. That conection is missing. The two narratives on their own are very good, but together they fail to create an equally beautiful picture.

    Overall, I like how you have started with a lazy, idyllic scene and ended it on a note of suspense. Your narration is very good and you help the reader be in the moment and imagine the surroundings. Sandhya's thoughts as she is rushed to the hospital are wonderfully written. There is good detail about her illness. The narrative is despersed with some very good lines which simply cannot be read just once. However, at times, the narration of minute details takes the reader away from the main scene, which works against you a bit. The character sketch of Sandhya and Deepak and their relationship is kinda hazy, especially from Sandhya's pov.

    This is all from my side. Please do take everything in the right spirit, and let me know what you feel about this feedback.

    Radha

    (The feedback might sound disconnected because I have used 'the reader', 'me' and 'us' intermittently. Please don't mind.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. I originally had no intentions of doing a character sketch for Riya at all. But then I thought it might lead to too many questions on motive. And at the last minute, in order to justify motive, I ended up showing her background. Which I haven't done for either of my two primary characters. From a workshop perspective, that's a huge one. From a plain reader point of view, it won't even show!

      2. I heard that complaint from others too about the transition. I am still a little clueless on how I could handle those transitions. Need help :) Any suggestions co-writers?

      3. With the hospital scene, would you please be able to tell me which ones are details? I am still trying to understand the part which dilutes the main scene.

      4. Completely accept the fault of character sketches of Sandhya and Deepak.

      Thank you for your detailed review Radha!

      Delete

We love polite people but it is not necessary to be so polite that you will not even point out where we go wrong :) Please feel free to voice your constructive criticism.