Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Those lovely blue eyes

Author: C. Suresh

Author Introduction: Erstwhile engineer and MBA from IIM-Bangalore and worked for IFFCO in the area of fertilizer subsidies. Currently a 'gentleman of leisure' as a friend puts it. Trekker, Lover of books and music. Desultory blogger in 2009, non-blogger through 2010-2011, and furious blogger since February 2012. I blog at Life is Like This mostly on humor, travel, treks and occasional fiction.

The Story:
It was that pair of lovely blue eyes, again! Glistening with tears that did not conceal the deep hurt that lay behind them! The eyes that had tormented me in my sleep for many days! The eyes, that I had thought I was free of for many weeks now, had come back to haunt my sleep again.
I tossed and turned in my pallet tormented by guilt that I knew no reason for feeling. Why should a hooker’s eyes pierce my soul with guilt? A hooker who I loved; a hooker who had professed love for me and a hooker who had betrayed me! A hooker who had cared so little for me that she had given me the worst disease mankind has ever known!
Acquired Immuno-Deficiency Syndrome! A word she could not even know but a disease that she could acquire and pass on. And I, Bruce Tracy - the erstwhile wunderkind of the world of investments, was now on death row awaiting execution for her murder. But what did imminent death mean but a release to someone who had nothing else to look forward to but a long and painful slide to oblivion?
In the tormented realm of half-sleep I could imagine the wonder and disgust of the people who had known me in my past if they only knew where I was today. Immured within these dark walls, in an atmosphere stinking of urine and feces and surrounded by the dregs of humanity, I would appear a very unlikely candidate for the bright young executive juggling funds for millionaires. But all that was in the long-distant past.
One mistake was all it took when you played brashly with millions! One mistake had brought all my dreams crashing down; had caused friends of yesterday to turn their backs on me; had my dewy-eyed girlfriend spew contempt; had shattered my self-confidence and left my sense of self-worth in tatters. The long spiral down laced with alcohol and drugs had laid me low in the gutter till this whore had taken me in. How I had loved and trusted her then!
My mind shied away from exploring my feelings for her any further. Sleep had completely departed and I swung my feet down and sat up. Why was I feeling all this so strongly now when, for so long, I had been quite content to await my scheduled execution? Was it the conversation that I had overheard in the exercise yard yesterday?
* * *
“The Brawler is pissed with you, you b******!”
 “Ain’t got a choice, have I? Steve called in sick and Iron-Ass put me in here with the walking dead”, said the guard.
“Dontcha know how Billy loves his mother, you mother-f****er? Word has come that she’s sick and Billy gotta go to her. Mess this up, asshole, and your life ain’t worth rat’s piss.”
“Trust me!”
“Tomorrow night is the time! You oughta have let the Brawler know some way”
“It’s all laid on. The getaway car will be on the road near where the tunnel opens.”
“Shh! You got shit for brains, man, shouting it all over the place”, muttered the trusty, looking around with apprehensive eyes.
He saw me leaning against the wall looking incuriously at the soccer game in progress. No one else was in ear-shot.
“It’s only the Scholar – and he ain’t close enough to listen” said the guard ingratiatingly. There must have been something about the acoustics of that area, since even their whispers carried clearly to me.
“Awright! Cannya trust the driver?”
“It’s my son! He will be there before midnight tomorrow”
“He better be!”
The menace in the words was unmistakable. I could see the guard tremble visibly as the trusty walked away.
* * *
Billy – The Brawler! How I had hungered to avenge myself on him. That hulking ugly brute of a boxer had filled my nights with fear and fury for almost all the days I had spent as an under-trial in this prison. Had I not been sentenced to death and segregated from the rest of the prison population, I’d probably have killed him or died trying. So! He was planning an escape! Now I had my chance to avenge myself.
I was surprised at the vehemence of my thoughts. Less than forty-eight hours from death and here I was hungering for revenge. For the past few weeks, I had assumed that I was resigned to death and indifferent to the emotional storms that comprise life. I had declined any attempts to appeal my sentence and counted the days to my death placidly.
Now, all of a sudden, the haunting eyes were back in my dreams and my hunger for revenge burned as hot as ever. It seemed like I had not accepted my fate and moved on but had merely been caught in one moment of apathy like a fly in amber due to lack of choice. The first opportunity of revenge that arose had broken through my fugue and my emotions had got the better of me.
Billy! The man, who had destroyed my fragile self-respect in one uncaring brutal act, was now at my mercy. One word from me and his plans of escape would evaporate like a dewdrop in the desert sun.
* * *
When I had been diagnosed with AIDS and, almost immediately after, been arrested for the murder of my girlfriend I had sunk into apathetic indifference. Death was, anyway, a stone’s throw away and it had not mattered to me that it would come by execution rather than by a long-drawn process of illness. I thought that I might as well live the rest of my days in prison instead of the rat-infested tenement that I had shared with Violet.
It was Billy who shattered my sense of relative security in one brutal hour in the prison showers. I was chivvied along with the rest of the naked, sweaty, hairy and stinking mass of humanity into the showers and had just stood under the icy water for a second when there was a rush of men behind me and someone rabbit-punched me.
I fell to the floor and, at once, there was a hand pressing my face into the grime on the floor. Fingernails pierced my hands and legs as I was spread-eagled. Rough fingers dug into buttocks and spread them. Then there was the pain and the burning and the pounding as my anus was penetrated.
All the physical pain was insignificant compared to the bitter bile of humiliation and the impotent raging of inexpressible fury that burnt my being. It is difficult to express the utter shame that engulfs your soul when your body is violated and you are helpless. I felt soiled and, for days after, I could hardly see myself in the mirror for fear that I would see my shame branded on my face.
“Enough man! We don’t want to kill him” said a voice.
“He is walking dead, anyway!” said another.
“What?” roared a gravelly voice close to my ear.
Suddenly the pressure on my body was off me and I was being lifted up. For the first time I saw my molester. He was a monster of a man with a flattened nose, a cauliflower ear and brutal piggish eyes.
“What do you mean – walking dead?” he said.
One of the others said nervously, “He is in for Murder one, Billy! Word is he is almost certain to get the chop”
“Asshole! Why didntcha tell me before? Let’s get the hell outa here”
I scrubbed myself over and over again as though the soap would wash the shame away. The pain and weakness in my body and the dizziness in my head was such that I would have probably laid myself down in the showers and curled up but for a brutal whack on my back.
“Get going, you scum”
Every single step and every small act was an ordeal but, somehow, I dressed up and went on to the dining hall, picked up my meal and staggered to a table and slumped on the seat. As I was squirming uncomfortably to find a position that would lessen the pain, a couple of jerks came over to the table where I was seated.
One of them smirked at me and said, “So, how’s the day, girl?”
I was too far gone in pain and exhaustion to even feel a spark of anger and uncaringly bent to my plate.
Suddenly, a presence loomed in front of me and someone said, “Bugger off!” There was a clatter of plates and a patter of feet rapidly making their way away.
“You are under Billy’s protection, now” said the man. I raised my head and saw one of the others who had held me down in the showers.
“Why?” I asked apprehensively. My last few years had been with the scum of the world and I knew enough to know that being under someone’s protection in prison could mean that you were his paramour while there.
“Not that, Scholar! Billy is gay, alright, but he don’t want no truck with you walking dead.”
“Yeah! Right!” I muttered.
He lingered on as though waiting for something and then slowly moved away. Like he expected me to be grateful to Billy after all that had happened in the morning!
I had met this sort of sudden respect for the near-dead before. It was as though they either thought that death was something catching or that the near-dead would shortly be whispering tales about them in the ears of the Maker.
For the rest of the period as an under-trial I took far less interest in the progress of my own trial and far more in trying to come up with a way to get my back on Billy. Whether we were in the showers or the dining hall or the exercise yard, he always had his three cellmates tagging along like shadows and I could see no way of getting to him to shove a knife in his back.
Then my trial came to an end and I was sentenced to death. As one of the walking dead - officially now - I was shifted to the death row and segregated from the rest with no chance to get at Billy.
* * *
The clatter of a plate interrupted my reverie. I looked up to see the guard of yesterday’s conversation outside the cell.
“I need to talk to you”
“I got no time for scumbags”
“You got some for this one, pig! I need to talk about tonight and Billy. Come to my cell after you are done”
 “Awright” he mumbled fearfully and walked on.
It was an hour before he sidled into my cell wringing his hands and face white with apprehension.
“Whaddya want with me, Scholar?”
“I want to meet Billy ASAP”
“More than my job is worth, Scholar! I gotta wife and kids”, he whined.
“You don’t want your son in jail for abetting an escape, do you?” I was merciless. “Billy is on cleaning duty, right? Get him here with his mop and pail to clean up”
“I’ll try my best, Scholar”
“Try doesn’t cut it. Get him”
He slunk out like a whipped dog.
For the first time in prison I felt like I had some power and it felt good. I was savoring the idea of telling off Billy and watching his impotent rage when I told him that I was about to squeal on his escape plans. It was not enough for me to merely destroy his hopes – I wanted to see him squirm!
A sudden thought crossed my mind. Had I not got my revenge on Billy already? After all I was HIV positive and he had sodomized me! In the very act that birthed my desire for revenge, my revenge would also have been accomplished. It was very likely that he was infected too.
Why not join his escape plan and get out? That man outside, who I had considered safe from me, was no longer safe if I could get out. He, more than Billy, was a target for vengeance and only the fact that I had assumed him out of my reach had kept him off my mind.
I laughed bitterly and almost hysterically. It was ironic that the man who humiliated me was now going to be the reason why I could gain vengeance on that devil on earth – Vince Galliano!
* * *
It was impossible to think of Vince without remembering Violet. The Pimp and the Whore! Violet took me in on one snowy night upon seeing me shivering on the footpath outside her tenement. Hard-bitten though she normally was, she had these sudden queer impulses and, on that cold day, I was glad of being the recipient of her impulsive kindness.
What it was about me that made her keep me around I will never know. It is a fact that within a week, we were lovers and within the month everyone, including Vince knew me to be her boyfriend. Vince was indifferent to the whole matter as long as it did not interfere with business.
I must have I had about six months with Violet when my entire world came crashing down again. She had never tired of telling me how much she loved me. In the initial days, I had slept with her more for comfort and in gratitude but slowly I had come to love her as well. She was brassy, foul-mouthed, slovenly and amoral but there was this peculiar vulnerability about her that made me want to protect her. Above all, she had those lovely blue eyes which still reflected an innocence that was totally at odds with her coarse, ravaged and world-weary face.
At long last I thought I had found someone who cared for me without a thought for the use she could make of me. My complacency was abruptly shattered when I came back one day to see her sobbing into her hands.
“What’s the matter, honey?” I asked her.
“I am sorry, baby, I am so sorry”, she said embracing me and burying her face in my chest.
“What’s it?” I said irritably.
“I..I..I got AIDS”, she said. “I’ll never forgive my sorry ass if I have given it to you”
I thrust her away abruptly. Unreasoning anger and fear overwhelmed my mind.
“What the f***?:” I yelled. “You mean all the while you have been telling me how much you love me, you did not bother to check yourself up before sleeping with me? Even though you know what you do for a living?”
“I didn’t think….”
“You did not care, you mean, as long as you got what you wanted”
I started to go out of the house. As I was opening the door, she asked, “Where you going, Bruce?”
“To check if I got AIDS too.” A gust of fury blew through my mind. “If I have got it, I swear I will come back and kill you” I yelled and stormed down the stairs.
For three days after it was confirmed that I was indeed HIV positive I drowned my sorrows in various dives. At least, bleary-eyed and stinking of whisky and vomit I made my way to Violet’s pad for want of a place to call home.
Vince’s bully boys were outside the tenement as was his car. I waved at them and started up the stairs to the third floor. Just as I was climbing up the last flight of stairs, I could hear Vince’s voice through the thin plywood that served as the door.
“Since when d’ya think of them as men. They are just tricks, you c***, so you better get your ass out on the street. So, what if ya have AIDS?”
Violet’s voice was a soft murmur following which was the sound of a slap. By the time I reached the door, there was a sharp bump as if something had fallen and the Vince’s voice rose to a thin falsetto.
“I’ll teach you to raise a hand at me, b****”
I fumbled for the key when a shrill scream split the silence of the night. In near panic and range I groped with the key for the keyhole when another inhuman scream of pain drilled through my brain. By the time I had the door opened, there was a third scream which abruptly died down into a gurgle.
Vince came rushing out and I side-stepped him as he rushed past me and clattered down the stairs. I rushed in to find Violet lying down with a pleading look in her eyes that died as the light in them died. There was a horrid slash across her face, one more across her left breast and her throat was slit. Blood had spattered all over the room. The sickly-sweet smell of it abruptly caught my throat and I gagged, rushed to the bathroom and was sick.
A cold, murderous rage spawned in my brain and with an animal shriek I jumped up and ran to the door to destroy that devil of a pimp…and ran into the arms of the police.
There were witnesses enough to my threat to kill Violet; to the shrieks and to Vince having been on the other side of town in a poker game. Of course, even the rats in the tenement know enough not to hear anything to the detriment of the local Mafia Don’s nephew.
If ever there was someone I wanted to hurt and kill, it was Vince. He was safe, however, from the impotent rage of a jail-bird.
* * *
I had never understood why I felt such rage and desire for vengeance. Violet had callously used me for her purposes without caring for me and I, after knowing about my condition, had no particular desire to live. So, why should Vince evoke so much rage in me? Every time I had tried to think about it I had felt an unreasoning panic and despair. It was no different now.
Billy should be coming any time now. Abruptly, my entire plan for escape and vengeance against Vince seemed foolish. Even if I managed to make my way to Billy’s cell – which was the logical place for the tunnel to start – why should Billy not just knock me out and escape? Even if he did take me along what made me think that I could evade recapture and prove able to kill Vince? Billy was a dead man walking anyway. I felt melancholy and had almost decided to do nothing when a glimmer of an idea sparked in my mind.
Billy walked in.
“Whaddya want, Scholar?”
“Listen, Billy! You know what I can do to your escape plans.”
His hands clenched and he glared at me impotently.
“I need you to kill a man, Billy!”
“Don’t ask me that, man! I never done no murder”
“Your choice, Billy! I am a dead man tomorrow and I have only you to rely upon. Either you swear to me on your mother’s soul that you will kill him or I shall squeal the moment you go out that door”
There was a look of pleading in his eyes and his mouth opened and closed soundlessly.
“Billy! This guy always has at least twenty-five grand in his safe. You could beat the combination out of him easy. You will need the money for your mom. So, why don’t you just promise me? He just has two bully boys with him. You and your friends could handle them all”
After much hesitation, Billy agreed and swore as I had wanted. I gave him the directions to Vince’s apartment and he left.
* * *
It was a restless night for me. I knew that, even if I had been mistaken in Billy’s superstition about promises to a dying man and his love for his mother, he would go after the money. Vince was bound to threaten him with his uncle and even Billy’s pea-brain would realize that killing Vince was his only way to keep the mob off his back. I found myself in the surprising position of desperately wanting Billy to escape.
Sirens hooting and people running here and there in the morning heralded the success of the escape. My execution, however, could not be postponed. A harried Warden came to my cell to seek my last wishes and was surprised when I asked him to be able to watch TV.
Billy may not succeed, may not succeed today or may not succeed in time for me to get the news. I was still on tenterhooks wishing to see whether my plans had succeeded. While waiting nervously for the news I wanted, my mind wandered over to my days with Violet.
She had been much the same as she used to be before she met me when we first started sleeping together. Over the weeks, she had started taking pains to make her face – not the garish come-hither make-up she used for street-walking but the softer make-up that a girl adopts for her man. She could never really be clean – but her attempts to stop being slovenly and sudden tears when she failed were so endearing. As a cook, she was a disaster but she would never stop making dishes for me. The memory of the look of bright expectation on her face which turned to crumpled disappointment suddenly moved me now and I felt the prickling of tears in my eyes.
Abruptly, my mind was dragged to the news. “Is this the start of another gangland war? Mafia Don Galliano’s nephew was found sodomized, brutally tortured and battered to death with two other people..” The excited voice of the TV anchor receded to background murmur to me as a tremendous wave of satisfaction roared through my entire soul. Vince was dead and Billy’s goose was cooked. Whether the AIDS or the police or the mob got him was immaterial. I had succeeded beyond all dreams.
All the anger and hate in my being were wiped clean – and left me face to face with my guilt and shame. All that anger at Violet and fury at Vince was only a camouflage for my own guilt. Guilt that my accusation of callously passing on AIDS had lead to her confrontation with Vince and her death! Guilt that I had not been with her to protect her! And guilt that I may have been the one to give her AIDS and not the other way round! Had I not been a drug addict and given to indiscriminate use of needles? How was I sure that I did not pass on the HIV to Violet?
I realized that I had been in love with Violet all along and she had loved me more than I deserved. A love so sublime that, in the face of a sentence of death, her only thought had been about putting me in danger and not fear for herself! And I? I loved her with all the love that was there in me but all the love that I could lavish could not even rise to offer comfort to her in her time of need. It shamed me to see myself so clearly.
I grieved for Violet for the first time. All that I had to show for my life was Violet’s love for me. Somehow, at that time, it seemed enough to justify my life.
The warden came in with his cohorts to escort me to the execution chamber.
I was strapped to the seat. I closed my eyes.
Maybe there is a life hereafter
There was a needle prick.
Maybe I shall meet her again
There was fire in my veins.
Maybe I shall look into those lovely blue eyes. And wipe out the hurt.
Maybe.....

37 comments:

  1. Wow!! A wonderful attempt, CS and a very good one at that!

    Bouquets:
    You made the entire narration through one character and still managed to cover every important aspect of the story.

    The dark nature of the story was slightly nullified with the element of love and guilt on the part of Billy on realization that Bruce was on death-row, which is a good way to go about the story.

    It's not new knowledge that your command over the English language is impeccable!

    Brick-bats:

    Some factual errors, such as death row prisoners aren't sent to penitentiaries unless they are convicted, and are separated from the others right from the beginning. But they are just technicalities and easily overlooked.

    Descriptions are a bit vague. For instance, we do not know how either Billy or Bruce or any other character looks like. It's easier to picture a story if the characters are visible.

    Your general English is awesome, but you have to work on your "prison slang"/colloquial English.
    "I gotta..." means "I got to..." ;)

    And one last thing, the very first thing that Billy does after he's out is commit a murder? And his first murder at that? Seems a bit too far-fetched, to me. And he got convinced pretty easily too.

    All these are meant to be taken in the good way. And, now I know how hard it is to judge people's writings, especially when I'm forced to judge greats like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing specifically great about me! Not when it comes to this sort of writing.

      I am afraid that your plot had those technical holes in it. You want Bruce raped by Billy and also segregated from other prisoners from the beginning. I do not know how else you thought that could be worked in! Previous conviction for Bruce with Billy around??

      With that segregation in place how does he learn of the escape plan, learn of Billy's involvement and credibly think of a possibility of joining the escape - within 48 hours? I just put in a minor assumption that an under-trial was in the penitentiary and the segregation between under-trials and regular prisoners was not maintained by the prison staff.

      Yes, I know about the descriptions. Not really my strength - though Billy is described, except for the skin color which I deliberately left out. I, myself, follow the mind and behavior of characters and forget the physical descriptions - so it carries over into my writing as well.

      That gotta is a typo - intended 'got a' :)

      The point about Billy getting convinced readily is not really valid. Nor is it true that he necessarily went out to murder. If you see, Bruce thinks that Billy is likely to go for the money and get sucked into the murder once he realizes that he was robbing a Mafia Don's nephew. That Billy, having just escaped prison and needing money for his mom's treatment, should go to rob Vince asap seemed credible to me. Bruce being in prison does not know why Billy did kill Vince and, thus, the story leaves the motive for Vince's murder open. (What is not explicit in the story is the fact that had Bruce merely called on Billy to tell him about Vince's money, Billy would have suspected a trap. Swearing him to kill Vince was what suckered Billy into attempting a robbery)

      Delete
    2. They are segregated but only during yard time and cell positioning. During other activities like PI (Prison Industries) and church is where he could've been raped and Bruce could've heard it from a guard who thinks of Bruce as a good friend or during visitation or like you wrote eavesdropping on some conflict within the ranks of Billy's escape crew during any of the aforementioned places.

      And about the murder part. I get it, that Billy needs the money quick, but risking a crime right after breaking out is something that I just can't wrap my head around. Most convicts try to lie low for at least 24 hours before attempting a crime. It's just my opinion.

      Delete
    3. 'raped in prison showers' is how the plot goes, II! So that means on the communal bath when segregation is normally in place.

      As for committing a crime immediately, it is a question of need. When Billy is escaping specifically because his mother is sick, I am afraid your normal expectations of prisoners lying low for 24 hours cannot necessarily be expected to hold.

      To be frank the plot, for me, was not very credible. To work in an option of Bruce actually thinking of escaping one needs an incredible set of coincidences in the tale. First that he overhears the escape plot by chance; next that the escape plot is to fructify within 24 hours (got to be escape at night. Considering that 24 hours before execution the prisoner gets a medical visit, a priest etc. he is hardly likely to be free to plan escapes) and third that Bruce actually thinks he can plan his escape from his cell to wherever the tunnel begins within those 24 hours. More Hollywood movie than realistic tale :)

      Delete
    4. Oops, Sorry, for both the rape thing and the plot thing. Actually the plot is all Sandy, so I should probably wait for his take.

      And the rape thing was my bad, so really sorry about that. :)

      Delete
    5. The problem lies in giving too much detail in the plot, II! It leaves no leeway for the author sometimes to work a credible plot. I only pointed the plot lacuna to tell you that if you objected to Vince's murder on the grounds of its being too dramatic you would have to throw out of the window any entry that comes in where Bruce escapes!

      Delete
  2. Ah! Looks like you did not get that '...almost certain to get the chop', the mentions of being an under-trial in that portion and the fact that only at the end of that portion is his conviction mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no. :D I got that part. What I meant by prison lingo is that no convict dares to come down hard on the cops. Because their entire well being, in the duration of the sentence, depends on the behavior of the cops to them. It's just a bit odd, that's all.

      Delete
    2. When a guard has taken money from a prisoner to abet an escape, he puts himself in the other's power. As for Bruce, he is to be executed within 48 hours - so what does he have to fear? Looks to me like this is too nit-picking, II!

      Delete
    3. Whoa!! calm down CS :) It's just a suggestion. It's just that I think when one is in a prison, the guards have control over everything. The guard could just take the money and ask the prisoner to go to hell. There's nothing much a prisoner can do when he is inside. And as for Bruce, there's only so much time left for him. He'll probably not want to be spending it eating bad food or maybe in solitary, ergo, he'll be good to the guards in the final days.

      Again, it's just a suggestion. It's only what I feel.

      Delete
    4. I really don't want to go on doing this, II! When I called it nit-picking it is because you seem not to allow any leeway for different people being different. Nor do you indeed have reason to know from the story whether Billy had any mob connections. There is a certain relationship being portrayed and you object to it on general principles. For eg. who paid the guard? Someone outside? If so, who was he and what hold does he have over the guard? The story does not say nor can it without making it a novella.
      As for ill-treating Bruce, there is a medical examination the next day and if Bruce is ill and cannot be executed on that count and if the guard blamed by Bruce, the guard is in shit. Further, all Bruce has to do is tell the warden the next day that it was the guard who assisted the previous night's escape and the guard is in shit again. Need I explain all this?

      Delete
  3. well as we say bells have been struck...the first entry has set up standards, and I hope we all keep up to the levels.
    For starters I loved the title because people visiting from outside the workshop will be in for a surprise coz the title doesnt give away anything, second I loved the dialogues, I mean I even allotted the voice to them in my head while reading..they are pretty much close to the dialogues ive heard in movies, the narration was so continuous that even the basic reader(like me ) wont have problem understanding where this is going.
    the only thing that left me wanting for more was a bit of details about the escape plans, of course with the word limit and everything its hard but it would have added to the elements of the story..also I wanted to picture the insides of penitentiary somewhere in the story.
    I base my judgement on an overall experience, and I liked reading it. Since we are supposed to give detailed feedback, hence I pointed what more "I" would have loved. The technicalities are not my strong forte so I wont go there.
    cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ratika! Escape plans actually do not fit in well with this story since Bruce is isolated from the people who are actually planning the escape.

      I know! I know! My biggest failing is in descriptions - both people and settings. Problem is I, myself, hate reading descriptions and, so, I find it difficult to take interest in writing them. You will find the same issue in all my tales. I cannot blame the word limits for that. :)

      Delete
  4. Guruve sharanam :)

    Really well-written Suresh sir :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mahesh! Hope you are not taking that 'Guruve..' business too seriously - else you will mess up your own capabilities for descriptive writing :)

      Delete
  5. Wow. Now that was a great narration, CS. I read it at one go, now that I had time, and it didn't feel forced, or uncomfortable. The pace was uniform throughout the story, and even the shifting of timeframe in the narration held the attention nicely. You didn't leave any part hanging either. I loved it. I esp. like the nickname you've given to Bruce.. "Scholar". Excellent.

    Critique, not very fond of it. I prefer to encourage more. I didn't find a lot of things wrong, except for a lot of exclamation marks in the opening paragraph, and some typo errors here and there. I find that to not affect the afore said gripping narration, so won't pick the bones. :)

    Brilliant. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leo! Those exclamations are MS-Word's contribution to my narration. Keeps red-lining the sentences unless I put them in :)

      As for the 'Scholar', had no choice, did I? Did not feel competent to write the English that a habitual US criminal would think in - and first person narrative would have enforced that - so had to make him a "Scholar" :)

      I found the typos too - after I put the piece up - and, in the spirit of equality did not edit them since I would not do that for anyone else (too much work!!) :)

      Delete
  6. It was gripping to the end, CS. I also used an educated hero to avoid use of prison language which I am not familiar with. You have plotted revenge in an interesting way and given more importance to the love aspect. Constructive feedback I can not think beyond what Ratika and Indolent have mentioned. The way I see it is - it is important to maintain consistency within the story than with real facts. Because the reader is unlikely to have been to prison and he is not expected to be doing research on what really happens in American jails as long as it seems roughly believable to the layman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TF! That has always been my point. That the internal structure of the story should have more importance than the research elements in exercises like this. When you write novels/short stories of your choice you would write about what you know well or research to fill gaps. My issue is also that you cannot have people doing atypical things like prison escapes (no matter what Hollywood makes you believe) and abetting prison escapes and carp about atypical behavior by the same people in other areas.

      Delete
  7. Note: Every point below is to be taken in the right spirit, none meant to offend the author.
    First off, as always your fiction is gripping and flows smoothly from scene to scene without any apparent disconnects. I call them scenes because some of them are really vivid, I can visualize it happening in front of me. The scene where Bruce fumbles with the keys while he hears the inhuman screams actually gave me goosebumps. I could sense the urgency you’ve introduced in that scene, like I wanted Bruce to open it and stop whatever was going on inside.

    That being said, I would have to say that the same is not true for all of them though. For sequences where's there's not much drama going on, some more description could have helped - everyone's (including you) already talked about this (character sketches, the insides of the penitentiary etc) - so I am not going to beat that topic to death.

    Some, again as you've already said, are typos. So thanks to this workshop, we as a group do seem to be getting better at reviewing and editing our own stuff. A couple I could notice were Atleast Vs At last, the Vince's Vs then Vince's - minor ones, but important to fix nonetheless had this been a manuscript.

    I particularly liked how you handled the retribution being meted out to both men, Vince and Billy even though Billy's one is a little open ended, but regardless of the way he would meet his end, Bruce knows one way or the other, he's got back at Billy.

    Quality of English as always is amazing. I like how when I read your posts, I end up looking up a couple of words every time and add them to my mental dictionary! :)

    I have to agree with II on a couple of points though. The conversations/build-up of the guard could have been more agressive. I don't know how it could be done, except that as a reader I would expect it to be more agressive. Personally, I felt that Billy’s character sketch is kinda weak. For a guy who rapes fellow inmates, has support on the inside and is obviously one of the more dangerous people inside those walls, the conversation in Bruce’s cell, he giving in way too easy.

    And yes, I agree with the comments on Facebook around the word limit. For the kind of plot and the detailed incidents (having to give a background and everything, describing daily activity yada yada) 4K would be a low number. That being said, as a short story, or a novel, what the writer pens is what the reader reads and closes out the book with. As a writer, I wouldn't want my book to leave too many questions unanswered or too much to the reader's imagination. Some yes, too much No.

    In response to a comment above, yes, the plot is quite close to Hollywood but that doesn't mean its unbelievable, maybe a little sketchy and had we had room for change, we could have tuned it more. But let's not forgot, some of the best Hollywood movies are based on books where authors do make impossible look possible. This might not be everyone's favourite, but Michael Crichton did make dinosaurs come alive and sometimes you wonder if that could ever really happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About descriptions, I am totally in agreement with all you guys - and, of course, I knew it from before I was told of it. I would have to be really foolish to think that I was good at descriptions after this long. Of course, there are those typos, too.

      Actually I thought that II was objecting to the fact that the conversation was too aggressive. Or do you mean you want the guard to be more aggressive? I am afraid that it is my character there and that guard, in my mind, was not meant to be a strong character. His weakness I thought I had made quite apparent in both interactions.

      As for Billy, the only conversation in which he could be seen as weak is the one with Bruce. I actually cannot see what your objections are. Billy is in a situation with Bruce where he had no power over him while Bruce has power over Billy (Bruce is to be executed the next day and even injury to him could scupper Billy's escape plans, after all). Further, making that promise meant nothing much since Bruce loses his power over Billy once Billy escapes. And Billy could not exit the cell without promising since Bruce would squeal if he did so. If you wanted me to capture all that was going on in Billy's mind, that was impossible given the first person narrative.

      My objection was not to the plot per se! Given that the plot was Hollywood-like, I did not take kindly to II opposing the fact that Billy killed Vince the very next day - if he called that unrealistic what can one say about any escape of Billy? If you prescribe a plot that is dramatic, it is not fair to accept your sort of drama and object to any other sort!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I meant the character of the guard. But that's probably just me. In my mind, law and order of US is pretty strong and characters are aggressive too. This one just felt like he buckled too easily, for the plot to move forward and to fetch Billy in for the conversation with Bruce, he had to be weak, that I get. But it just betrays the expectations of burliness from a guard supposed to be a guarding a death row convict. Again, its got to do with the expectations of a reader who thinks he knows the setting.

      For Billy, yes, again, he's at Bruce's mercy. But the conversation between Bruce and Billy didn't seem to give off that feeling. That's all. It looked like they simply chatted about it and then Billy agreed. As a reader, I would expect if Billy is as bad a character he's initially shown to be, maybe he takes umbrage, they have a heated talk or something, maybe even take a swing or two and then finally he agrees out of no other choice.

      No objections to your drama on killing Vince the very next day. Characters like Billy running for that 25 grand the very next day are not entirely unbelievable!

      Delete
    3. Mmm! As for the prison guard, the issue is you only get to see a snippet in the middle of his interaction with Billy and company. And, unless you think that the typical prison guard abets prison escapes I don't see why the prison guard is expected to be typical :)

      Billy would take umbrage?? Well, really, I thought that the situation was rather clear that he could do nothing much even if he did. Is Billy shrewd enough to plan an escape but does not understand that getting thrown in solitary for throwing a swing at Billy is no help to escaping that night?? Not to mention that if Billy is alive at the end and would squeal, his escape chances are scuppered. When all he has to do is make an empty promise? Which is lived up to only because he goes for the money. I think you and I are talking about two different Billys here :)

      Delete
    4. I did not quite get that part about leaving open questions - 'some, yes! too much, no' ? Are you saying that I have left too many open questions or are you not?

      As far as I can see, the only questions that are open are questions raised about the behavior of the prison guard - which is where I mentioned novel/novella etc. in one of my comments. I do not know whether you mean that there ought to be no open questions about the activities and past history of every single minor character in the story. My own experience as a reader is that I take the character and activities of walk-in characters as given by the author and do not analyze them from my own perspective of his person or profession.

      If you mean that there are too many open questions about the main story line, I would like you to tell me what those open questions are and, if possible, how I can address them in the narrative given the restriction of a 'first person narrative'.

      Delete
    5. Suresh, that comment has got nothing to do with this particular story. If you note, I have started that para saying in response to a comment on FB - so I was talking in general about stories and word limits - not specifically to this one. What I meant to say was, for any writer - whenever we pen a story - be it a short one or a novel - we will always have to logically end it. Its good to leave some little things to a reader's imagination but still tie up most loose ends.

      Delete
    6. Mmm! Okay! It is just that juxtaposition in my mind of my own comment about a novella and your comment that gave rise to a doubt.

      Delete
  8. I will have to post this comment in sections.

    Section 1

    "A word she could not even know but a disease that she could acquire and pass on."

    Maybe this sentence could have been written differently. Does the below sound a little punchier to you?

    “A word she couldn’t even spell but a disease...”
    “A word she couldn’t tell the meaning of, but a disease…”

    "Was it the conversation that I had overheard in the exercise yard yesterday?"

    Excellent word usage, narration and mood setting in the scene, plus I really like how you ended it with a question that makes the reader want to continue reading. This is a technique I knew how to use many years ago, but had forgotten when I began commercial work.

    The point where Bruce swings his feet down is where I would have begun adding physical description to the character to allow the readers to visualize what Bruce looks like. The disembodied voice-over also works in narratives, but in this case I would have felt a little less disoriented if I could begin to imagine Bruce as a prisoner.

    I am really glad with the attempt at “street language”. Also the nicknames and terms like “trusty” and “walking dead” create a very rough and tough sense of the surroundings. Maybe we could have a sentence here at the end, like the question in the section above, that would have given a clue to how Bruce felt about what he had over-heard? Relentlessly make the reader turn the pages of your book?

    "That hulking ugly brute of a boxer had filled my nights with fear and fury..."

    Could we have used “days with fear and nights with fury” instead for a little more punch? Also, what if the word “Avenge” in either the first or last line of the paragraph was replaced with something else? The repetition jars the narration a tad. Maybe just replace it with “Revenge” or even “get back” instead?

    "One word from me and his plans of escape would evaporate like a dewdrop in the desert sun."

    Excellent work for a Hollywood movie style script. I could almost take a camera and shoot these scenes for a movie. Do you think that some of the imagery should be dropped however? “a dewdrop in the desert sun” sounds a bit like my “water droplets jumping on the surface of a hot skillet”

    Good work with the rape scene. There is a nice little para after the act which describes his mental state that I like. While I would have liked more detail in the act, I understand that this scene will have everyone really wanting to get it over with. I don’t think you would really have attempted a gay rape scene but for this plot, and now you have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Section 2


    "It was ironic that the man who humiliated me was now going to be the reason why I could gain vengeance on that devil on earth – Vince Galliano!"

    Excellent! I was really hoping someone would pick up this thread. I was chuckling to myself on reading the murder scene, I was that pleased. The “sickly-sweet” smell of blood is something I use a lot and which resonates instantly with people who have been exposed to blood and gore. When writing slash and dash, it is really important to bring in such elements to connect with the audience. I also like the action in the scene here. Bruce is angry at Violet for passing on HIV, and yet he flies into a rage when Vince kills her. This only serves to strengthen the plot that he did love Violet deeply. Some people might argue that Bruce should have been happy that the whore who gave him HIV died, but in real life, emotions are much more complex than the logic of a plot, and such layers of unpredictable complexity are incredibly necessary when you set out to write a novel. And as we will see later, Bruce grapples with the notion of how he actually contracted HIV.


    "I found myself in the surprising position of desperately wanting Billy to escape."

    The dilemma painted above gives rise to good suspense.

    "Billy may not succeed, may not succeed today or may not succeed in time for me to get the news."

    How do we change the first line of the above paragraph for more punch? It seems like it isn’t really connected with the story. How about “As I was watching TV, I was on tenterhooks, wondering whether my plan would succeed.”? For all I knew, Billy would not keep his promise. Or even if he did, he wouldn’t be able to do it in time for me to find out. Even worse, I didn’t want to find out that he had failed!”

    I like the flashback during execution day. It would have been easier to move along linearly.

    "I realized that I had been in love with Violet all along and she had loved me more than I deserved."

    I like the whole “in death everything becomes clear” angle and Bruce’s musings as he wondered whether he hadn’t been the one to give HIV to Violet instead of having received it from her or maybe even Billy.

    I had a feeling of satisfaction at having read a very well stitched together story. I really wish I had been able to read a little more in the death scene. The death-by-injection could have been more poignant though there was a brilliant attempt with the flashback and Bruce’s realization about the entire funda of love. Also, we really need more character description. I want to know more about what Bruce looks like, what kinda voice Billy has, what size boobs Violet has etc.

    Overall, I am extremely pleased with the effort, considering I hold you to very high standards. You have seized every little possible plot twist and emotional dilemma in the characters I had in mind when I gave out the plot and that is a compliment to the extremely sharp mind you possess and the clarity of your thought process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandy! At last! To be very frank, I was losing interest in the critiques! It may have sounded as though I was upset at the very idea of my being criticized but for me the problem has been that none of the criticism hitherto had even clarified whether they felt that the problem was in the plotting of the story or in the narrative - till I dug it out with repeated questions. The other issue has been that they have been unable to delineate their criticism between a lack of internal consistency of the story or a lack of consistency with the setting. The other issue that I tried to get from FB was whether the flaws they pointed out seriously marred the readability of the story - as we are all aware that we have found some flawed stories eminently readable in the past. Again, I get what seemed to be a defense of the critique rather than an answer to my question.In one case, I felt that certain parts of the story were not even read properly till I pointed out the issues.

    I expect criticism from writers to actually help me improve or identify flaws to be redressed. If criticism is merely a reader's POV - well, I end up asking myself whether they are a representative sample of readers. So, now, I am happy to have got some criticism that helps me.

    I am by and large in agreement except in 2 aspects - 'filled my nights with fear and fury' was written specifically - cos, in the day Bruce is, in my conception, in a fugue - it is his nightmares that give vent to his suppressed feelings. As for that 'dewdrop' thingy - it is all a matter of taste. I actually liked your 'hot skillet' phrase and did not know why you were unhappy with it later. :)

    If you had read the original 5k version you would have had none of the points that you raised about the end of the story. I had to cut out a lot of that conversation with Billy, the waiting-on-tenterhooks part as well as the death scene to keep to word limits. I, too, realize the limitations there but the only solution I could find involved a lot more words than I had at my disposal.

    Descriptions, as I have repeatedly mentioned, are not my forte. So I accept wholeheartedly the fact that the writing is deficient in that area.

    Lastly, I must thank you for picking on that emotional complexity of Bruce's feelings for Violet. Using a first person narrative to describe the complexity of his feelings for her was a very difficult ask and, in addition to the challenge of writing a gritty story, I added this to myself. Needless to say, I was absolutely disappointed about the fact that no-one, hitherto, mentioned that part at all. So, you have no idea how wonderful it is to hear that from you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suresh: I usually steer away from uncomfortable conversations but I find this a little insulting. I didn't ask to be a reviewer or a judge here, the rules that were set up mandated it and so, knowing fully well that I am not an expert at writing, knowing that I do not have the insight or experience as Sandy or you or TF do, I have simply put into words my thoughts about the post. Doing it to the best of my abilities. You are most welcome to agree/disagree with it just as I have a right to my opinion. Anything more I say will definitely be clubbed into the 'trying to defend the critique', so I will not. As far as a reader's POV goes, do remember that when you do publish fiction you're going to have all sorts of readers too (You must have seen the reviews on Amazon, I do read them sometimes when I look for a good e-book) and not all your readers are going to be writers. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite true, Deepa about getting all sorts of readers! I also apologize if it felt insulting to you. The intent was not to insult but to say why I was continuing the conversation for so long. Let me tell you what I expected. You are welcome to consider it or reject it.

      1. About the Prison Guard's behavior, it could be that the guard could never behave that way - in which case the plot fails since, unless he is weak, he would merely ask Billy to postpone the escape or just squeal himself. It could be that American Prison guards would never behave that way. In which case the plot may work but not in that setting. It could be that the Prison Guard could behave that way but to make it believable the narrative has to explain better. So, the critique needed to delineate whether it is a plot issue, a setting issue or a narrative issue. In the first instance it did not; in the second instance only the first option was negated.

      2. When I asked the question on FB, the reaction was not towards the readability of the story. It seemed to me, possibly incorrectly, that you assumed that I was asking whether you were finding flaws only by sifting through the story later.

      I appreciate the fact that you people have taken the onus of judging and that it is a difficult task. Nor am I an expert nor do I profess any greater insight than any of you do. My only expectation was that you would see first how the story as it is can be made workable - if it is not as it is written - and then, if you find that it is not, point out flaws in plot. Else, you point out narrative faults. A reader carries away an impression of the story and he will react to the total experience. A writer, when critiquing, is expected to see what is going wrong. That is what I meant when I said that the critiques were not helping me - not that I was necessarily denying the validity of the criticism but that it was not helping me in redressing the flaws - till I dig out exactly what was wrong.

      When I did dig it out, you were able to tell me what was wrong - which goes to show that the insight is not lacking. It is only that it was not getting expressed upfront.

      I must repeat my apology. I could have phrased my own points better in my reply to Sandy and, maybe, even when I asked the question on FB. Please accept that there was no insult intended.

      Delete
    2. Fair enough Suresh. My sincere apologies too, if that came out rude. The intent was only to communicate my concern.

      I think we’ll end up going to-and-fro a lot, and you’re right the expected behaviour of the guard is not in sync with what the plot needs him to do - so we’ll probably have our own versions of what makes sense for the guard and what doesn’t.

      Nope - the reaction was during the initial read itself as per my comment on the post.

      The statement that you have mentioned ‘My only expectation was that you would see first how the story as it is can be made workable - if it is not as it is written - and then, if you find that it is not, point out flaws in plot. Else, you point out narrative faults.’ gives me a better understanding of expectations. Thank you for the clarity. Your expectations are completely fair and I hope to do a better job on not just adding review comments, but explaining the logic behind my comments and providing clarity upfront on why I see it as a concern.

      Delete
  12. Hi Suresh

    The narration was really exceptional in many places such as Violet's murder, Bruce;s final hours etc...And the flow is very good...Only thing I thought was, if you had decided to make Billy the murderer, you could have avoided the line about him never having done one before....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A murderer or the murderer of Violet, Jaish? The latter was one possibility, of course. As for the former, I had Billy in my mind as an 'armed robber' alone - which means a capacity for the violence required of a killer but not yet actualized. But, yes, that line was unnecessary and could have been omitted.

      Delete
  13. Something from me :)

    1. I was free of for many weeks now, had come back to haunt my sleep again - I think that the word 'now' should come after the comma.

    2. A hooker who I loved; a hooker who had professed love for me and a hooker who had betrayed me! - Usage of past participle. I think the sentence 'a hooker who I loved' should have been written as 'a hooker who I had loved' to maintain consistancy with the other two actions of professing and betraying.

    3. he don’t want no truck - 'don't' should be 'doesn't'. Or, is it okay to use so in informal English?

    4. I must have I had about six months with Violet - I did not understand the first five words. Not sure what you meant or if it was a typo.

    5. There were witnesses enough to my threat to kill Violet - Excellent! A very uncommon usage of 'enough'. I would never have dared to write so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diwa - in the order of the comments:

      1. That 'many weeks now' was in the sense of 'many weeks up to now' - so the comma comes in at the right place.

      2. 'a hooker I loved' was purposeful usage. Bruce still feels love for her - though he thinks she had betrayed him. Some of his thoughts are intended as Freudian slips - where he unconsciously betrays to the reader that he still loves her though he refuses to admit it to himself.

      3. That was a dialogue, Diwa! It is supposed to be written the way that person speaks. If I wrote all dialogues the way I would write English, it would not sound appropriate now, would it?

      4. The second 'I' is a typo - it should read "I must have had about six months with Violet..'

      5. I suppose you would have used '..sufficient witnesses..' :) Actually I find that a usage of colloquialisms in times of emotion - in this case outrage - communicates the emotion better (like the chap who is speaking is too worked up to select his words) rather than proper English. Since this is first person narrative, Bruce is 'speaking' :)

      Delete
    2. Makes sense, Suresh. Interesting to see you return all of them. That improves my English, doesn't it?

      Delete

We love polite people but it is not necessary to be so polite that you will not even point out where we go wrong :) Please feel free to voice your constructive criticism.