Tuesday, 30 October 2012

The Eternal Smile


Author : Diwakar Narayan

Author Introduction : A former teacher of English Grammar (though I have started forgetting the basics now) and a great admirer of English Language, I took on blogging to show my skills to the virtual world and nick-named myself as Infected Mind. However, having stepped in, I found that I deserved less than the place of a fish in the ocean. Since then, I have been trying to polish my skills to attain the position of a fish. I have no great job and high education to boast of. Philosophically, a God hater who wants to see how life could be, not believing in Him at all.

Story:

The only thing I could see was the vast and endless sky, stained with the white spots. No! From inside the narrow window, half of which wore black paint keeping me from gaining a wider view outside, the only thing I could see was a narrow sky. But it must have been vast; yes, it is vast. I have seen the sky since my childhood and it has always been endless. It was only me who could see it narrow, but only till the next day. After that, I longed to see the sky as it is for I am born to see it the way it actually is, not the way that I saw it then. No one was to prevent me from doing so, from gaining freedom once again!
I took out my magazine and looked at the front cover. It had a picture of a baby. That baby, if it existed, knew little how cruel the world is. But the world is not cruel for it is abstract. It is the people who are cruel. Really? In face, they are not cruel. You can only be cruel if you have a mind. They do not have any. They cannot seem to understand the nature of a human being. He is born to be free, not kept inside a prison. It hurts him, breaks him and weakens him. But to understand that, that little baby had to grow up!
I now opened the magazine to read it but noticed a very strange thing. The address of the publisher was written in reverse order. It read as: XYZ Building, ABC Road, Washington DC. These morons do not now the basics! When a baby is born, it is not born in X hospital but is born into the world, the world that exists. He is born into existence, and then comes the world, then the United States, then a state inside it, then a city and location and a hospital. Ah! Forty years ago, how I was born to existence and they put me under the restrictions of the United States, Virginia, Arlington and now they have dragged me to North Courthouse Road, 1435, Arlington State Penitentiary. When this did not satisfy them, they put in the SuperMax unit and now inside that hell-hole. Never mind, I was to prove them wrong once again.
"Bruce, what happened? What makes you walk restlessly inside this little world, my friend?"
Bruce turned to me. He must have been angry with me till then. But he should not have been, should he? After all, it was not my fault that the cops chanced to shift him in my ward because of some bastard who created havoc by flooding his cell and thus making the cops to move everyone from the other block to mine. Either the cops should have shifted him to any other ward or he should not have had such nice body. Men are supposed to be rough, not soft, don't they?
How could he give so much pain to his soft body? One hour of intense exercise must have had tired each muscle of him.Innocent guy! He did not realize that his body was made to be pampered with the petals of roses and not for intense work-out.
My intelligent mind sometimes gives me such ideas which work in any situation. Those fools! They did not even notice on their computer screens when I gave Bruce the divine pleasure, that also continuously for a period of thirty minutes. But how could have they? I had already blurred the camera with the foam of the bath soap. After all, it is not polite to see the intimate moments of two humans, is it?. That also, blurred scenes! I smiled at my own stupid joke.
"Mind your business, you bastard!"
Ah! He called me names! Yes, he must have still been angry at me. He must be made to calm down. The guards had told me that he had to stay with me for two days and I could not see him furious over my holy deed of this morning.
"Keep it cool, Bruce. You are such a sweetheart. An angry face does not suit you. Tell me, what bothers you so much that you cannot even take some rest?"
”Rest? I have been resting for a very long time and doing nothing. Let my body feel the severest pain so that I can be ready for the eternal sleep."
"Eternal sleep? What do you mean?"
"Yes, eternal sleep. I only have 48 hours of life. How I wish I could have a glimpse of Amy."
"Amy? Who is she?"
"My darling. My dream of days and my reality of nights. The happy moments of my life. My food when I was hungry, my water when I was thirsty. My life when I ran out of breath, my death when I was too lively. But you know what? I killed her."
"And, why did you do so, pray, if I may ask?"
"No! I did not kill her. This is what they say. I was arrested within hours of her murder and soon convicted of the crime. I was too shocked to speak for myself. Further, Everything was against me."
I remained silent to let him speak more.
"When I first got in here, I wanted to get out as soon as possible. But the closed walls are not kind enough, it seems. When she was lost, everything of mine was lost. Now, I think it is better to be a real corpse than a walking one with no human emotions."
He spoke no more now. I let him be.

**************
I tried to sleep, but to no avail. My excitement of getting out of that bloody hell had given me sleepless nights. The first thing I was to do after I came out was to rob the bank again. Yes, I was not the one to be challenged. The arms my gang carried ditched me. Had the gun fired on time when I pulled the triggers, I would not have been there. I intended to see the supplier also. How could he supply faulty armory to me? Did he not realize that it could have cost him his life? No problem, I would make him realize it the moment I was out. Such thoughts gathered in my mind.
Money is the most sacred thing ever known to mankind, is it not? It must not be kept in banks. It must be available to everyone in need. They do not get this. In a wedding ceremony, if food is left out in the end, it is distributed among the poor. Similarly, why cannot they distribute the money to us when they have no use of it? Phew! The whole system needs to change and I must take the responsibility of doing so. I thought so.
"What is that inside your bed?"
His scream woke me up. Had he noticed something?
"Nothing, go to bed and stop screaming. You will land up in more trouble." I retorted.
"Let me see it myself if you do not tell me what it is."
Saying so, he came near my bed and slipped inside my bed. He must have noticed my way to freedom! How could he? I made sure to hide it properly with old magazines. No, he could not see that, he could not cut the rope when I was walking on it? He had no rights to do so. I must convince him not to do so.
"Did you notice a rat, Bruce? These little monsters are everywhere." I said peeping beneath my bead with rest of my body on the bed.
"What is this big hole for? Are you escaping?"
The question stunned me, to the highest degree. Unbelievable! He had discovered my secret. Yes, it was not his fault that the guards put him in my cell. It was my fault to have allowed him. I could have told them that I feared being attached. Any other prisoner was dangerous to me for he would kill me. Such a fool I was! I came under extreme pressure to talk to him tactfully. Any mistake could have ruined my future!
"Bruce, come here. Sit next to me. Listen! This is very important for me to go out. I am not made to be poisoned. I have a different philosophy of life and I must enlighten the world with my thinking, my ways, and my belief."
He continued staring at me. This frightened me even more. If this was any other place in the world, I would have killed him. But here, I could not take any risk. His death in my cell would have been an obstacle in my way out. I could not do that. Simply not!
"Look! Here is a proposal for you. If you want, you can come with me. The tunnel is ready. I could have escaped by now, but the havoc that you created last night made all the guards alert. If you wish to join me, we can execute our plans tonight. Are you listening?"
He turned his head down and looked at the ground. Was that guy crazy? He should have been excited to have known that he had got a way out of this hell.
"Bruce, my friend, see! If you go out, you can kill those bastards who put you here. You can hunt the real murderers of your lady. You will do it, will you not?"
"No. My heart does not allow me to hunt her killers."
"What?" I was taken aback at this sudden turn of his thinking.
"Being behind bars and dying with poison is far more relaxing that knowing that the lady who you have admired your whole life has been a whore!"
It was time for me to remain silent. Not intentionally though; I could not think what to speak. His girlfriend had been a whore! If so, why did he want to kill the murderers when he came here. Yes, this was the question I was to ask him.
"But you wanted to kill those murderers when you came here, did you not?"
"Yes, I did. I have been thinking on it since I spoke to you last. Why did they kill her? Did they know that she was a hooker? It must have been the case that she had been in relationship with them too and cheating them like she did to me. Once they found it out, they took their revenge on her. I must have also done the same thing they did. I must have killed her myself. I regret not having done so."
"But how did you know she was a whore? With little correspondence here, you must have known it before you were arrested and jailed. You had a fair chance of bleeding her to death, did you not?"
"It was proved in the federal court. Till then, it was too late"
I had no more questions to ask him. He obviously did not seem interested in any escape attempts. Was he then going to tell the truth of my secret tunnel to the prison guards? Was he going to take revenge on me for I had raped him in the shower that morning? was he going to deny me my life? No, he had no right in doing so.
"So, you are not telling anyone that you saw anything here, are you?"
"No. But you must do something for me."
"What? Tell me what you want and it is done."
"I need some drugs so as to not feel the pain. My legs have started to refuse to walk anymore. They must be put unconscious so that my mind can make them walk more and more and be ready for the eternal sleep."
This was a huge demand. But I must arrange for it. Yes, rat-lining was the solution. That very practice had helped me plan the escape with my co-inmates and it came handy when Bruce demanded the drugs too. I quickly passed on the message to my co-inmate and in return he sent me the power of life wrapped in paper. Small quantity it was, but had the potential to give anyone the highest of pleasures.

***************
It was time for Bruce to depart. The security guards called him from outside.
"Give me a minute." He responded to the cops. He then turned to me and asked:
"Thank you for preparing me for the eternal sleep, Billy. Live your life to the fullest. You anyway have got very less time to live."
"Less time?"
"Yes, you would have gotten AIDS by now."
I could not take my eyes off his smile while he moved out of my cell.

14 comments:

  1. I wonder why proofreading before sending the story for submission did not help. Here I read it again and found many errors. Before anyone can shout..I put them all here :)

    in face - in fact
    now the basics - know the basics
    they put in the - they put me in the
    don't they - aren't they?
    made to be poisoned - made to be prisoned
    havoc that you created - havoc the other bastard created
    turned to me and asked - turned to me and said

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're relying on the dictionary and spell-check to fix all your errors, buddy, that's not gonna happen :) All those are valid words right? Face, Now etc - why would spell check alert you? :) There's proof-reading and there's proof-reading some more! I always tell this joke in such situations. This friend of mine messaged his American client, who he was on friendly terms with, saying: 'What are you doing so late at work? You should be on the beach with a bear!'. Guess what? Spell-check wouldn't have helped him there! I am guessing he meant beer :) Even a bare would have worked, but a bear? :)

      Delete
  2. What a refreshing change Diwakar! Just today I was wondering why nobody gave Billy a try! Awesome job! Liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rajrupa. Good way to start the comments journey. Hope everyone reads your comment and slow down the pace of punches to be hit on my face :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Diwakar

    Its not at all easy to write from Billy's perspective and kudos to you for having taken on that challenge...And I must admit thats indeed a pretty neat job! Esp in places where you have mentioned his slightly crazy thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on the crazy thinking part. The documentary I wanted online for American Prison system gave me a feeling that the inmates go crazy in Solitary Confinement. It's more like a mental torcher than physical :)

      Delete
  4. First of all, I salute you for taking up the story from a villain's point of view. And a good attempt at that! Its the first in this series so far!

    Now, stand-alone, if I had not been told the plot in advance, I actually liked how you weaved that philosophy in there, right from the skies to the baby having to grow up! (PS: You could have used a real address for the magazine!) Its a very grown-up piece, incorporated very neatly into the rest of the plot. Almost like reading philosophical fiction!

    Having said that, Billy’s character as per Sandy’s plot defines him as a man who ‘brutally raped’ Bruce, is serving time for armed robbery. For such a scumbag, he seems to be extremely philosophical, has his life, his plans cut out for him, has excellent thinking and planning ahead abilities, uses polished English in his dialogues. Also, the keyword being ‘brutal’, from what I have read/seen about rape - its almost always about power, control, revenge, or a release and less to do with emotions or how the rapist feels about the victim. In this story, we see Billy admiring Bruce’s body and fondly remembering his time with Bruce - yes, he’s gay but if that’s the case, he would have made romantic advances to Bruce rather than trying to rape him right? Also, because of the way Sandy has set up Billy to be, I would actually expect to see mean streaks not a nice Billy :)

    Its nice how you have absolutely not tried to show Bruce’s thinking or reaction to the rape or emotional turbulence at all at having been made to share a bunk with his rapist. Writing from the bad man’s point of view, knowing the plot and knowing that Bruce is the hero of the story, it must be extremely tempting to include his thoughts but I applaud you for keeping it so well confined to Billy’s point of view. Whatever Bruce thinks is all communicated clearly through dialogues!

    Very smart way to close the loop on those security cameras. But I am curious, if Bruce was moved into Billy’s cell, why rape him in the showers then with plain view of cameras and a dozen other men atleast? Surely the cell itself would be a safer sanctuary?

    Again, a not-so-common different ending. Doing nothing. Employed well! Particularly, when you have Bruce asking Billy for help with painkillers. But again, that would indicate you made them friends, or atleast two people comfortable enough asking the other for help? Billy asking Bruce to not squeal on him, Bruce asking him for painkillers. You have linked them well, two prisoners caught in the situation and making the best of it and you have justified it correctly - but in the real world, think a victim would seek help from his rapist? I wonder. Also, I’m curious, but this is probably just me because I do not know how prisons operate. When they move in a cell mate, aren’t supervisions of that room done first? If so, there’s a risk of the tunnel being discovered! Not sure, if they happen though!

    Enjoyed the shocker that Billy gets sprung with at the end - about AIDS. Good move and smart punch delivered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deepa for the kind feedback, apart from a couple of punches :)

      I thought for some time before replying to the comment. Firstly thinking of words which help me defend myself and secondly bowing down to whatever you say! Then I came up with a mixed one..

      1. Yes, I could have used a real address in the plot.

      2. The word 'brutal' is always used from a second point of view. We say that an act was brutal only when we have not done it ourselves. In Billy's point of view, he did not even 'rape' Bruce, but the former gave the later some 'divine pleasure'. So, admitting that he raped Bruce 'brutally' was out of question if the story is told from Billy's point of view. Sandy used the word 'brutally' because he wanted to project Billy as the villain but a villan is always a hero in his own eyes. Right? Furthermore, making romantic advances with Bruce was a good option to go ahead with, but somehow I wanted to show that whatever he did was right in his own eyes (and his philosophy does suggest his extremist way of thinking) and making romantic advances with Bruce was somewhat a sensible way and Billy was not sensible enough to do that.

      3. The cells also have cameras. Whatever you do inside your cell is watched by the dozen men in question. The shower also has cameras but in the shower, he had the option to blur it, which could never have been done in the cell itself.

      4. About asking help - Do you think it was asking help at all? Two prisoners caught in a situation and making the best of it is the only way I look at it. In prisons, there is no 'help'. And if supervision of the rooms was done first, the tunnel should never have been in the plot itself! With Sandy defining the prison as a hell hole (an informal name for maximum security prisons), only Solitary Confinement comes to picture and digging a tunnel anywhere else is in no prisioner's capacity.

      With the above explanations, I still think that with your inputs the story can surely improve in the way I have written it. Thank you again for the feedback.

      Delete
    2. 2. Fair enough. The heinous nature of the crime would have been better understood from Bruce's point of view but since this was from Billy's POV it works. With all the philosophy in there, if you've painted Billy's character as a Hero, with him being nice and polite and everything, then a rape wouldn't be a rape in his eyes. Yes.

      3. My only thought was if Billy could dig a tunnel in a cell with cameras around, surely he could even commit the act in the cell itself, where he had all the more means and opportunity! I get that the shower was required to adhere to the plot but you see where I am coming from? :)

      4. Agreed. Sometimes you take the best of the worst because those are the only options available.

      Delete
    3. I am glad that you were trying to relate what I said, Deepa. About point no. 3, yes, there are loop-hopes which could have been covered better. But I am not sure how!

      Delete
  5. Hey there, this has been one entry I have enjoyed reading over and over again. Some interesting philosophy intermixed into a prison story here. Alright, let us move on to my thoughts.

    Section 1

    Ahh, finally, we have a Billy! Really brave to take on a first person narration through the eyes of a secondary character to depict the story of the primary character. I only introduced this option as an additional challenge to those who thought that their first person POV narration skills were sufficient. Good to see someone take it up. Alright, let us move on to my thoughts.

    My initial feeling from the opening two paragraphs was of being disoriented. Again, Russan writers often use this to good effect. I was trying to understand why I felt a little out of place, and tried to rewrite the first paragraph without deviating too much from what you have written. Let us take a look at what I have done with it.

    The only thing that I could see was the vast and endless sky, clouded with white spots. But no, looking out the window, the bottom half of which had been painted black, the only thing I could see was a narrow strip of sky. But that narrow strip must be vast; yes, it is vast. I have seen the sky since my childhood and it has always been endless. This narrow strip that I see is meant only for the likes of me, but not for long! A day more, and then I will be able to fulfill my longing to see the sky as it is, an endless field of azure, not the way that I see it now, imprisoned into an ugly black strip within the confines of my window. I was born to be free, and now no one will be able to prevent me from gaining freedom once again!

    Maybe I felt a little lost because of some of the sentences that seem repetitive in the original version. I do not claim that this is better, merely something which lulls me into the narrative a little smoother. These things are always a subjective choice, a matter of opinion. If you can find a pointer in the above re-written paragraph to improve yourself, that is good. If you can pick out flaws, even better.

    But the world is not cruel for it is abstract. It is the people who are cruel. Really? In face, they are not cruel. You can only be cruel if you have a mind. They do not have any. They cannot seem to understand the nature of a human being.

    The world is not cruel. The people are. Then in the next sentence you have written that the people are not cruel, because they do not have a mind. Ideally you should have made a point in the paragraph which negated the negation of the assumption that people are cruel, since the world is abstract. At the end of this paragraph I didn’t know if the world was cruel or if the people were, I only knew that the baby was screwed!

    Quite a strange philosophy to have proved the address to be something in reverse order! Curious, how did you come up with it? Moving on, If you go by the paragraph it is not clear who the “they” are who put the narrator in Arlington. It seems to point back at the publisher when it should be pointing at the powers-that-be or quite simply, the authorities who run the system. The idea expressed requires a little refining.

    “and thus making the cops to move everyone”

    The “to” is unnecessary.

    Men are supposed to be rough, not soft, don't they?

    “Aren’t they” would be the right expression I suppose.

    One hour of intense exercise must have had tired each muscle of him.

    “must have tired every muscle in his body” would be a simpler way of putting it.

    Innocent guy! He did not realize that his body was made to be pampered with the petals of roses and not for intense work-out.

    Nice, good pointers to Billy’s homosexual tendencies.

    My intelligent mind sometimes gives me such ideas which work in any situation. Those fools!

    Nice. At this point it is established that Billy thinks his intelligence is superior to others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Section 2

    The exchange of conversation at this point is a torrent of the plot unfolding. However, if Bruce is angry with Billy, why would he vent his frustration to him? Normally that would be done to someone Bruce has confidence in, no?

    Good back-story to Billy. He is already plotting the things that he will do when he gets out, though you haven’t yet revealed his plans. Good way to build suspense. Also Billy’s thoughts on money are a masterstroke. Reveals something of a twisted criminal mind. Nice touch.

    Billy has an escape tunnel from somewhere beneath his cot I gather. How did Bruce discover about it? I would have liked a sentence or two which explained how Bruce’s attention was drawn to that fact.

    …I would have killed him. But here, I could not take any risk. His death in my cell would have been an obstacle in my way out. I could not do that. Simply not!...

    Nice touch in that Billy is not thinking about whether it is morally right or wrong to kill Bruce, but rather in terms of whether it will be an obstacle to his escape or not. Quite a psychopath, your Billy! Deluded too, in that he thinks he needs to teach the world about his beliefs. Good work.

    Wow, you’ve made Bruce condemn the lady, whoever she is, for the fact that she is a hooker. Quite a turn of events that.

    “With little correspondence here, you must have known it before you were arrested and jailed.”

    What is the flaw with this line? The problem is that you’ve tried to weave a fact that you should have been communicated to readers through the narrative, into a conversation between the two characters. That jars the dialogue.

    Was he going to take revenge on me for I had raped him in the shower that morning?

    For something which is such an important part of the plot, Bruce’s rape, you have devoted just a few references. A rape scene through Billy’s POV would have been a great read, especially after all the brilliant lines you have used in the opening sequence which point to Billy’s homosexual tendencies. We could have completed the image of Billy as a psychopathic lunatic with the rape scene, don’t you think?

    Nice ending, though it was a bit abrupt. Bruce manages to wiggle out one last favour from Billy to ease his own last hours, and then condemns Billy with knowledge that will torment him for the rest of what remained of his life before he died of AIDS, even if he escaped from prison. Mental stress can be more destructive than physical strain, and Bruce has chosen an unconventional way to torment the person who made his life in prison, hell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Section 3

    To sum it up, your strong point seems to be the psychological profiling of your characters. That is one of the basic requirements to come up with a kick ass first person POV narration. I also really like the insights into Billy’s mind that you have scattered all along the plot. More than a menacing brute, as painted by most other entries, here he comes across as an almost insane psychopath. However, the narrative about the prison setting of the plot is lacking in detail. Also, I was keen to see how you would approach the rape scene from Billy’s POV, but that has been relegated to almost a footnote in the overall scheme of things in your entry. Again, we need more physical description of characters. I seem to have made this point in almost every entry, and I think I will write a brief post during the Diwali holidays on how I approach a basic physical description of characters which might be helpful to the participants of the workshop. Your entry has some elements that make it stand out from the rest, not the least being the curious philosophy of Billy the brawler, and for this original and brave attempt, kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. The first two paragraphs may have seemed out of place since you knew the plot and you must be trying to relate them to the prison setting. The only effect I tried to bring in the first two paragraphs was that Billy was a psycho. When I read your narration, the only difference I could find was a little more playing of words than mine. So, I would pick it up!

      2. The paragraph of cruelty could have been written better. Agreed here!

      3. Yes, the 'they' seems to be pointing to the publishers. It could have been written better. Agreed!

      4. How can I do this? Yes, the 'to' was not necessary at all!

      5. Aren’t they - I did realize this after it was put here on the workshop. In my first comment, I have already mentioned this mistake of mine.

      6. must have tired every muscle in his body - Agreed!

      7. About Bruce venting his frustration to Billy - If you notice - Bruce did not lay all his cards to Billy at once. He did it one by one. There is saying...a naked man can reveal all secrets to a naked lady. I thought this would be true in the sense of naked man-naked man as well! Anyway, I agree that a bit of more conversation or pampering from Billy could have helped here.

      8. About the discovery of the tunnel - I purposely left it out. Not sure why!

      9. What is the flaw with this line? The problem is that you’ve tried to weave a fact that you should have been communicated to readers through the narrative, into a conversation between the two characters. That jars the dialogue. - I did not understand your point here, Sandy. Could you please rephrase, maybe?

      10. Yes, a rape scene from Billy's POV would have been a great read. Actually, I did not try it at all. I should have! I assumed that it will not come up well. But yes, I must have tried!

      11. I will wait for the post in which you would throw some lights on how to approach the physical descriptions of characters.

      Finally, I thank you for all the kind words and the pain that you took to review this post and provide feedback. Trying to re-write a paragraph and compare it with mine was unexpected!

      Delete

We love polite people but it is not necessary to be so polite that you will not even point out where we go wrong :) Please feel free to voice your constructive criticism.