Monday, 15 April 2013

A tale of unspoken love


Author: Animesh K. Mishra

Author intro: Animesh is a software professional, but that is the last thing in the world that he wants to do. He is passionate about writing; and music is his first love. He has been writing since his school days when he wrote dramas for school functions. He carries a Graduation in Indian Classical Music and has won many state and district level prizes in Instrumental Classical (Hawaiian Guitar). He blog s at Towers and Shadows and Story in pieces. Recordings of his Guitar can be heard at Stringplay.

Story:

“I was totally shattered, Rochak.” Sheela said while caressing Rochak’s hairs. They were lying in their bedroom and talking about events of last few days which have completely changed their lives. Sheela said again, this time in a low voice, “I felt cheated and devastated. I had become hysterical. I don’t know how many times I banged my head against the wall of the garden. I had cut almost every nerve of mine. With every cut, I cried out only one name, ‘Rochak’!” Rochak was silently listening to her, cursing himself for he was the one who was responsible for all this. Sheela, unaware of Rochak’s state of mind, continued, “You know Rochak, I was sure that I would die any moment now. Only thing I wanted at that moment was to see you once. I wanted you to know that I truly love you. I wanted you to arrange for my funeral and not the Police who would have come here only after a complaint from neighborhood about the stinking corpse.”

Rochak could not take it anymore and tears started rolling out from his eyes. He looked at Sheela as if asking for forgiveness and said, “Sheela, my love! Please forgive me. I did not know how evil my sisters are. I fell for their false tears and thought a delay of few hours would hardly make any difference” He was sobbing uncontrollably, “While I was busy watching that stupid Cricket IPL match between Kolkata Knight Rider and Mumbai Indians, I felt a sudden uneasiness. I don’t know what it was, but there was a strong indication that something is not good.” Sheela was listening to him intently when he narrated his tale, “Now I understood that it was only your love which travelled all the way from Mumbai to Pune to tell me about you. I could not sit for a moment after that. As if being pulled by an invisible tope, I immediately took out the car and came here. I cannot imagine what would have happened had I been late by five more minutes.”

There was a long silence in the room. Both of them caressed each other while immersed in their own thoughts. Suddenly Sheela started saying, “You know what Rochak, I fell in love with you the moment I saw you. To me you seemed to be one who would fill my empty life with love. All these years, I’ve been trying to win your heart. Though you never realized it, or even if you did, you did not express it, there was something which kept me telling that you would be mine someday. Every morning, I came to your room carrying the morning tea so that first thing I see in the morning is your lovely face. Before retiring to bed, I brought the glass of milk for you just to steal a chance to see you before sleeping. Every night, I expressed my love; and every night you did not say anything, just smiled.”

“I always liked you Sheela. But, I think it was your reputation which stopped me from pursuing any emotional attachment.” Rochak said weighing his words cautiously, “I, however, over the period understood that all this is perceived notion and there is something about you which people don’t know. They call this place ‘Beast’s Mansion’. They talk about your illicit businesses. They also talk about your high-profile linkages with politicians. There is so much of talk about you in this city that I could never think of associating myself with you. Had it not been the question of my father’s reputation, I’d have escaped from this place long ago,” Rochak paused for a moment and said again, “only to return back in a few days. Now I have known it, I’d not be able to live without you Sheela. Sheela, I love you.”

They kissed passionately and caressed each other with love. Today was so special for them that they wanted to steal each and every moment out of it. They were talking of everything which had happened between them. “Do you remember the date when I first came here?” Asked Rochak.
“Yes, very clearly! It was 12th of January 2008.” Sheela said.
“Exactly! When I first entered here, the only thing which was going on in my mind was the reputation of my father. For a moment, I even thought of revenge,” Rochak had gone back to the day when they had met for the first time, “but that was just a passing thought given your reputation in the society. What a fool I was to believe him then! Had I not seen the recording of that day, I would have never known that it was He who was the culprit, and not you.”
“These CCTV cameras are very useful sometimes and I’m glad that I got them installed here.” Sheela was quick to respond.
“When dad told me that you had falsely implicated him of Rape, I could not believe it. And when he said that you wanted Me in bargain, I had felt a chilling in my spine. I was sure that you’ll give me the most painful death. What I didn’t know was that I was going to meet one of the most amazing women of the world.”

“Mr. Srivastava came here as a broken man. He had lost everything. There was a time when he was known as the wealthiest and most influential person of Mumbai. But thanks to his addictions to Gambling, he lost everything he had.” Sheela was talking about Rochak’s father. “He needed a place to hide himself from his creditors who were now threatening to kill him. I gave him the shelter; money and assurance that no one would dare to touch him till the time he was with me. And, what did he do? He thought that I’m alone and weak, and molested me when all my servants were on their annual leave.”

“When dad left the house on that dark night, he had asked all of us what we wanted when he returns. Both my sisters gave him a big list of items ranging from lipsticks to fancy clothes. I just wanted him to come back safely and told him so. He promised to come back soon and safe. Little did I know then that his safety will come for a cost; cost of my life.”, Rochak was talking of the day when Mr. Srivastava had to leave his house on a dark night because of tip-off that his creditors were planning to shoot him next morning. He continued, “I was disgusted with an idea of being slave of a woman for the rest of my life. And I was not even sure, how long my life would be now. This is another story that that woman fell for me and became my slave for rest of the life.” Rochak looked at Sheela, smiled and took her in his arms. They were lost in each other and were not to be disturbed.

19 comments:

  1. Aah, the story has been pasted twice :). It was supposed to end when they were lost in each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Different take ESP the interchange of the genders compared to the original plot .

    Y did he have to become a slave ? Did I miss something ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jaish, thanks a lot for kind words.
      What you've pointed out is right. The story has not been able to convey this properly. When Mr. Srivastava molested Sheela and then realized what a danger he is in, given the hi-profile reach of Sheela, he had cut a deal with her, to send his son at her place to serve her.
      I tried to put it in the story (read lines pasted below), but think could not come out well.
      "When dad told me that you had falsely implicated him of Rape, I could not believe it. And when he said that you wanted Me in bargain, I had felt a chilling in my spine.

      Delete
  3. The interchange of the genders for the Beauty and the Beast is indeed ingenious.

    Even though you have explained why Rochak became Sheela's slave, it is not very clear. If Rochak's dad was at fault, why then did Sheela agree to keep Rochak at her house? For what purpose? Was he her slave or did he work for her? This needed some clarity.

    Well, it should have taken a little more than an IPL match for Rochak to realize his feelings for Sheela. :-)

    There must have to be some reason as to why Sheela's house was called "Beast's Mansion." There is nothing beastly about Sheela's character.

    Overall a very good attempt. Nice flow. Emotions could have been more explicit.

    Thanks for participating in this exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janu, thanks a lot for your detailed feedback. I also feel that I should have used some more words and few things should have been in more detail like those which are already pointed out by you. Just to add to that, I feel that even Mr. Srivastava's character demanded some elaboration just to ensure that the deal between him and Sheela is in line with his character.
      Coming to "Beast's Mansion", idea here was that Sheela was looked with fear in the society due to her hi-profile connections and some of the events of the past. But yes, I agree it needed more elaboration so that this name justifies itself :)
      Thanks once again

      Delete
    2. :) And about the IPL match part, I was just trying to put in a condition that he was enjoying at home and suddenly felt that something was not right. Like, sometimes we feel when our near ones are not doing good. I need to work on that part as well.

      Delete
  4. This was the most ingenious plot and made full use of everything from the original. Great job. You are always the idea man.

    But these over the top ideas need narrative skills way beyond normal to make them work. Attempting them without such expertise is like driving at 120 kmph when you have just learnt driving and don't have full control over the vehicle. That is one of the reasons I do not attempt such off beat ideas in these exercise. More conventional mundane stuff serve better in fine tuning the writing skills.

    So some of the areas that could have been improved:-
    1. The opening was not a conflict establisher. It was a resolution opening, which is not one of the standard openings for obvious reasons. Once you have the resolution, what will interest the reader to keep going?
    2. Plot had some character inconsistencies. A raped woman won't blackmail rapist to send his son to her. Seems too unnatural. Also beauty can't be exactly the same when she becomes a man - men's nature is different from woman. If he felt his father was being falsely accused, he would rather try and kill the woman rather than willingly go and be her slave. Both these could have been resolved with a slight change in plot - The hero should be aware that his father raped the woman. Out of self righteousness and guilt for his father's sins, he could want to atone and he goes and offers himself as her servant.
    3. In terms of style, you have used the word caress too many times. That is rather grating.
    4. Exercise required alternating point of view narratives. Yours is a fly on the wall style narrative (neutral distant observer), not taking either beauty or beast's point of view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah finally TF. This is the kind of review I was looking for. Thanks a lot buddy. I agree when you say that over the top ideas get an excellent narrative skill which I am still to master. But, I don't know why, but I can never come up with simple ideas. t can be taken as my weakness or a strong point, but this is how it is. I think, I will have to practice more and read more and master the art of narration. Will also try to avoid out of way ideas.
      1. Yes, I also realized it later. The bad thing here is that when I started writing first, it was a conflict establisher and then I changed it, I don't know why. But I do not agree with you when you say that resolution openings are to be avoided. If backed up with good narration and a superb plot, they can make an excellent read.
      2. Noted down. There should be a better reasoning behind him agreeing to serve as a servant.
      3. Noted.
      4. I'm confused here. Do you mind elaborating this point for me?

      Delete
    2. Animesh - Point 1. I still stick to my view that resolution will not work.

      Point 4 can get very long to explain. Read this article by Suresh. If you still have doubts ping me on Facebook.

      http://indifictionworkshop.blogspot.in/2012/10/narrating-story.html

      Delete
  5. What I liked in the story was the fresh take on the subject, the gender interchange. I did a double take when I realized it :-) Who would have thought of a female as a beast and beauty as a wide-chested muscled man watching IPL matches :-)

    But as TF pointed, the exercise needed the POV to alternate between the Beast and Beauty.

    Also there are some minor loopholes in the story-

    Sheela had cut herself (as per the first paragraph), but still when Rochak arrives they are busy romancing instead of rushing to the hospital.

    Also the part why Sheela accepted Rochak in her house when his dad had tried molesting her is not very clear. She knew that the entire episode was caught on the CCTV, then why didn’t she do anything about it.

    Overall a good attempt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Prasanna :)
      I too felt that some portions are left unexplained. Portions pointed by you and TF have helped me to understand "what exactly". I should have used some more words so that these things were better explained (the story is less than 1200 words) but given that I started writing when only 2-3 hours were left for the deadline, I could not have written more words than that :( .
      I am thinking to re-write the story and try to see how well am I able to incorporate these suggestions.

      Delete
  6. Hey!
    The only complaint I have with this entry is that it seems incomplete. I love the ingenuity you have employed in interchanging the genders of the main characters. I literally jumped in my seat when I realized Beast was a belle.
    However, there is a lot left to the imagination of the reader. Why did Sheela ask for a slave in return for an attempt on her modesty? What were Rochak's feelings towards Sheela when he came there? How did they change? Why did they fall in love?
    The opening provides the conflict perfectly, but the resolution is a bit weak. You could have extended the narrative with a little more elaboration on these aspects.
    Otherwise, you have a wonderful narration style and creativity. Looking forward to more entries from you in the future.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medha, thanks a lot for nice words :)
      I am planning to rewrite the story and see how better I am able to overcome my weaknesses :)

      But, now I am confused :(
      TF says that it was not a conflict establisher and you say it surely was! :(

      Delete
    2. Dude - All of us are learning. The article is there for all of us to read. So you should read the article yourself and then see each of our interpretations in perspective and make your own final call on what is right and what is wrong and how you will use the understanding of the opening.

      Delete
    3. Opened it up for discussion on FB.

      Delete
    4. On re-reading the opening, I realize that it does not fall under conflict type...
      My bad!

      Delete
  7. 1. Nicely done Animesh. The gender change was a pleasant surprise.
    2. Very much on the shorter end, would have liked to see it be a bigger tale - explore the psyche of the individuals, see Rochak's shock on knowing that his father is the guilty one, explore Sheela's psyche after the event happened etc. The basic purpose of IFW, in addition to improving our writing skills, is to prepare us for writing long pieces for publication. Even anthologies require an average of 3000 words.
    3. In this story, all of the back story is through them talking. I would have loved to see it happening. Like the blood oozing out of the cuts, Rochak plotting revenge initially etc.
    4. As far as conflict opening goes, I think it worked to a certain extent, not completely though. In this case, the conflict has already passed. If you would have opened it with the cuts and the blood oozing and Sheela pining for Rochak - it might have worked better. I think we're still confused about the opening part, so have started a discussion on FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Thanks Deepa. The idea of gender change is liked by all and I'm glad that I did it (though I was apprehensive initially).
      2. I wanted to write bigger story, but this was the lack of time due to which I had to cut it short. I did not want to request for extension of dates as I had done it earlier and then ditched :(. While a longer story would have made the story far better, it would have also showed more improvement areas. Next time, I am determined to start on time and write at least 3000 words.
      3. The conversation is my favorite style and it comes to me naturally. If you read any of my stories, you would find plenty of conversation there. I think I should also try another style which I would do in the next exercise.
      4. Aah, this is what I did when I wrote the first draft, Sheela lying in a blood of pool and banging her head against the wall :( I don't know why I discarded that.

      Delete
    2. It was pool of blood, not blood of pool :(

      Delete

We love polite people but it is not necessary to be so polite that you will not even point out where we go wrong :) Please feel free to voice your constructive criticism.