Wednesday, 24 October 2012

48 Hours


Author: Leo

Author introduction: What I am by profession doesn't matter, for I am a writer, by choice and by interest. Here breathes my passion, my hopes, my dreams and my world. Here I am fondly called as Leo by many, a poet and storyteller. My thoughts, in verse and in story, call I Rhyme Without Reason as their home. 


Story:

Time… precious time; I have less of that. 48 hours. Why does it seem that these last 48 hours are going slower than the last 48 months I have spent here? Nothing has changed in this hour. Nothing… not the hazy light coming through the small barred window, or the guards who watch over us, looking into our little cells as they take their rounds in the corridor; nothing. Only time has slowed down. I look at the dust particles scattering through the rays of sunlight. They feel at home in this dark hell, just as I do now.
I get up from my bunk and walk to the wall. Memories… unwanted, unforgettable memories; they stare back at me from sheets and newspaper clippings I’ve stuck with scotch tape to the wall, my diary on the floor, blood drops that are now dry, and my reflection in the cracked mirror. I look at my hands, scarred from the time I broke it in frustration, in hatred of that man I found myself to be. Maybe that’s one thing that has changed. I’m no longer frustrated. I no longer look at the future, for I’m a hanged man, awaiting the final string of my life to be cut.
I stand at the bars of my cell, listening to the silence; in the silence, heavy footsteps echo, and I see the guard across the corridor. He’s always there, at that cell, talking with the Brawler. No. Taking orders from him. If only I still had that kind of power. Life in this dark hell might have gone by smoother. There goes that goddamned siren again as it announces noon. Lunch to be slopped on to a teensy circle of ceramic, had in fifteen minutes and forgotten in fifteen seconds; nope, nothing has changed. I see the Brawler come out, stretch himself, and yawn. I mutter something about not feeling hungry as the guard comes to unlock my cell door. Here he comes, the big brute of a man. Billy - The Brawler, a banker’s nephew. He’s been here since I have. I heard he got tired of the easy life, and shot his uncle and five others, made away with much moolah, but the cops chased him down. I’m sick of the sight of him. I pray he goes away soon, stops bothering me.
“Sweetheart, not hungry?” he sniggers, stopping at my cell, as I turn my back to him. I’m not your sweetheart, you sick bastard. Don’t call me that. “You can sit on my lap. I’ll ask the guards to give you that chance. You won’t get it afterwards. Come on, I heard it’s not the usual slop. Special lunch today in your honor,” he says, laughing. Go away. I don’t want lunch. I am not hungry. I am not gay like you. I shake my head vehemently to underline my thoughts to him. He shakes his head too. I feel his hands on my ass, as he pinches it hard. Involuntarily, I shudder. Go away, please go away. Thankfully, that guard Riley calls him, and he leaves. I see the wall, and a headline boldly returns to my heart again.
“Motel Murder: Tracy convicted, sentenced to death row”, it says. “Bruce Tracy, 32, main accused in the Marty Motel double murder was sentenced to death row today. Tracy, under the influence of cocaine, is believed to have tortured and killed a woman who is yet to be identified, only known as Jane Doe, 29, as per the fake ID she was using. The owner of the hotel is the second victim. The extreme brutality involved has shocked the city, and the verdict of capital punishment comes as no surprise. Liam Tafferty, attorney to Mr. Tracy has however indicated that they would appeal against the judgment. With strong evidence and also the presence of Mr. Tracy at the murder scene confirmed, the prosecution is confident that there will not be any upturning of the verdict.”
Four years on that wall… the letters have somewhat faded. I had had no hesitation to appeal. How could I have done that? No. Not to her. She was Jane Doe to the world, but to me, she was my Nita. My darling Nita… a prostitute, whom I had fallen in love with; she was going to be Mrs. Tracy when she was cruelly taken from me. She was going to give it all up. She had promised that that one time with Marty would be her last time. But I couldn’t prove it. Marty was dead. The appeals went from court to court, but after yesterday, the last ray of hope has also vanished. The highest court has upheld the verdict, and set the execution date.
*****
A visitor… I know who it will be. I have no family, no friends outside. As I enter the visitors’ area, I know it can only be him; the only one who believed I was innocent. Or maybe that was his job as the state appointed defendant. Liam looks at me, and I can see he is truly sad. I give him a wan smile. At least he tried.
“Sorry Bruce. I tried. God knows I tried my hardest. At each step, he came in the way. Rincon… I couldn’t overthrow his political hold,” he says into his receiver. I know it. I can’t fault Liam for it. Keeping me alive in this place would have been Rincon’s idea too. It was few more years of torture for me, and few more years of entertainment for him.
“Goodbye, Liam. Thanks for everything,” I reply and walk out.
*****
I had read Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar in high school. In many ways, I was like Caesar, and Rincon like Brutus. He and I were best friends in the final year of college. He knew my addiction for power, power that I felt when I injected myself with cocaine. He had started it, tempting me to try it when I was mourning the loss of my father. I had never felt so exhilarated. Whatever little I earned playing good boy to the world, I would spend playing evil boy, hanging out with Rincon and his crowd. After college, I took my passion for music and turned it large, began a music company that brought in more dough than I had imagined, and that fueled my addiction further. It was on my thirtieth birthday that my life began to change. Rincon called up, and within twenty minutes, was at my doorstep with two hot looking chicks.
 I had chosen the younger one, but she wasn’t very young, maybe a year or two younger than me. She wriggled, and fumbled through her performance, and losing patience, I had tossed her on the bed and stripped her myself. After I was done enjoying her body, I’d noticed tears in her eyes. Maybe it was her first, I thought, but she told me I wasn’t. That it was her husband who had used her body for many years, and treated her as good as a whore. It was he who pimped her out often, and getting bored of her, sold her to another just a month back. As she walked out, I had felt different. I wanted to know more about her, and I was hell bent to. I paid her pimp to send her to me often, twice a week, and sometimes thrice a week. She was an Indian, and she liked it when I took it slow and passionate with her. She had got pregnant twice, but her husband had got her to abort it each time. I got to know her favorite food, her favorite music, and her innermost secrets. With each day, I was falling in love with her, and I knew she was too. She was my Nita.
 Looking back, I think the addiction to cocaine was my downfall. It was an unsterilized syringe that condemned me to HIV. When I told her, she cried, and I was ready to call it off, but she refused to. She was going to walk out on her pimp after the next day, and we would solemnize the marriage too. Everything was going fine till I refused Rincon the money to pay off some of his gambling debt. That was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Within the day, I got a call from him, and I heard Nita scream through the phone. My heart fell through the floor, and shaking, I dashed out and drove like a madman to Marty’s. She lay there, in her room, skin sliced everywhere, and eyes wide open in horror. Her fingers were stuffed in her mouth. I wept and held her in my hands, gave her a kiss goodbye. I heard the sirens outside, and at that moment, I knew I had been set up.
 I was already fatally ill, and Liam had been sure that my HIV status would make it impossible for any death row conviction. Rincon had other ideas. His power bent the judges and I was convicted. The first couple of years in imprisonment as the appeals went about, I was hell bent on exacting revenge on Rincon. I convinced some friends outside to fund attempted murders. Whenever new inmates came, I would get news. He had escaped from accidents, defused a bomb, and fought off a maniac who had attacked him with a dagger. He had taken over my wealth. It was my mistake to have made him a silent partner in my business. His power outside grew further, while on death row, and with each botched attempt at ending his miserable life, my morale dropped. “What has happened is God’s will, my child,” I heard the pastor say to my neighbor once. I had never believed in God, so I continued my attempts. But after a while, I began to accept it.
 It is fate that I am here, waiting to welcome Death, for a crime I didn’t do.
 It is fate that the only girl who ever loved me was taken away from me.
 And it is fate, that I cannot screw the son-of-a-bitch responsible for all of that.
 *****
Why is the door opening now? It’s nearly midnight, and I can’t see even the ceiling in this darkness. I hear footsteps, those heavy footsteps, and I know it’s Riley. What does he want? I don’t know. I feel him pull me up by the scruff of my shirt. “Don’t make a sound. You are in for a treat, Tracy,” I hear him say, as I am pushed out the door and towards the ground floor. I slip on the steps, but it’s not a long fall. He pulls me to my feet and guides me toward the showers, and pushes me inside. I hear the latch being put as I am subdued instantly and pushed onto my stomach. It’s all too familiar.
I look up and I see him there - The Brawler. He sits on a chair, looking down at me. He smiles, showing me all his yellowing teeth. He’s stripped, and I can see his dick, erect and large. I’m pulled up, and my jaws forced open as he bends down and thrusts it down my throat. God, make it end soon. I can’t stand much more. He goes behind me, and I feel my trousers and underwear being slid down to my knees. I begin to wriggle. “Relax, Broocy. You’ve been here before, remember?” he says, laughing as he sodomizes me.
How can I forget? Nothing changes within the four walls of this hellhole. With each thrust of his hips, I remember every time it has ever happened, as it happens now. Perhaps this is fate as well. If so, then it is of no use struggling against it. “So, you are enjoying it now, aren’t you, bitch?” he shouts, continuing to thrust in hard.
“Brawler, we’ve broken ground….”
I hear voices, but they are all a blur. Only Billy’s grunts echo inside my head. “Be quiet, you imbecile,” I hear Billy say as he continues to ravage me. In a moment, I am turned over, and his dick shoved again inside my mouth as he climaxes.
 “Anything about tonight, anything at all, if it gets out, tomorrow I shall squeeze your balls so dry you’ll die before that syringe injects you for the final time,” he says, and I nod. I’m not stupid. I fall unconscious as he gets up, dresses and leaves. I’m picked up off the floor, and dragged to my cell, and hear the soft thump as I’m dumped on the mattress. I lie, drifting in and out of consciousness. Less than 36 hours to endure.
 *****
I cannot sleep. Every time I close my eyes, I see myself on that bathroom floor, Billy straddling me as he threatens, as he takes away my dignity each time. I battle my thoughts, tossing and turning on the bunk.
“Take revenge. Use these last 36 hours wisely. Get him back for all the times he did that to you,”
But I cannot. It is fate. I am no one to challenge what is destined to happen. God has taken revenge for me though. Billy would now have HIV. I can take satisfaction from that. I’ll spend my last hours in peace.
“To hell with peace; where have you found peace in this torture chamber? The little you had, the bastard ruined that too.”
That’s right, absolutely right. But I could not avenge Nita’s murder. That was decided. This is too. I’ll not interfere. She waits for me in heaven. I’ll soon be by her side.
“Rincon roams free, you couldn’t avenge Nita. She’ll spit on your face if you don’t avenge what is happening to you, you coward.”
She’d know what happened to her was fate too. Yes, it is all fate. I can’t stop it. I’ll pray. Let the devilish thoughts be taken away in holy thoughts.
“But what have you got to lose? You’re a dead man walking either ways. You’ll either die in a gurney, unconscious and paralyzed after a lethal injection, with whatever peace you might find before then, while the gay guy who made your life all the more miserable would be walking out there free as a bird; or you’ll die outside, from a disease you cannot cure, and fighting a battle you cannot win against the devious sod who put you here in this position, and gave your girl a one-way ticket to Heaven. Why not die after taking revenge on the one you actually can?”
I have nothing against him, nothing. Who will believe me? The minute I try to do something, fate comes in my way. It’ll bring back the pain. Let me forget everything. But he’s molested me more times than I care to count. Why threaten me today?
“We’ve broken ground outside the compound.”
Where have I heard that? I recollect it vaguely. Maybe as I was being humiliated. Yes, I heard that. Billy seems upset to hear it. Maybe it wasn’t meant to be heard by me. Yes. That’s it. Maybe I can use this. I’ll be clutching at strings, but I have nothing to lose. Nothing at all; for a guy on death row, and his only chance at escape, he has everything to lose. I sit up with the first light of the day, and can see my smile in the cracked mirror. A last chance… and I think of how to grab it with both hands.
 *****
I ask Riley to bring Billy to my cell when he’s brought out for breakfast. He looks at me like I’ve gone mad, but doesn’t question. Billy is the one that has all the cards. I am but a fly to him, harmless in front of the big, brute Brawler.
Revenge is a dish served cold, but I greet Billy with a warm hug as he enters my cell. He’s surprised, but I see his expression turn to shocked pain when I grab his nuts and squeeze, but Riley watching us doesn’t notice.
“Play with me and your tunnel will collapse just as quickly as it was built,” I tell him, and I know I’m right. He grimaces, pushes me off and lands a punch square on my jaw. It hurts, but Riley holds him back.
“Just you wait. I’ll bring your life spinning before your eyes so fast, you’ll wish you were dead,”I hear him say, as he tries to get away from Riley. I can hear Riley ask him to calm down; one of the other guards might come up any time. I get up in his face, and sneer at his bulbous eyes, red with anger.
“I’m on death row, Billy. Just one more day before my earthly hell ends. Lay a hand on me, and you’re in hot water,” I tell him.
He pushes me off again, lands another punch. Riley comes in front of him, stops him. I hear him say that I’m right. That’s a first. The fly has become a lion.
“What is it that you want?” Billy spits out, as I feel my jaw. I smile, and get up.
“Actually, I have no use for you right now. I want him in my power,” I say and point to Riley.“He does what I tell him to do today, and you get out scot-free tonight. If he doesn’t, you’ve dug yourself a grave rather than a tunnel.”
He laughs. “I’ve been put here for shooting anyone in my way. If I had a soul, I’d sell it to the Devil if I had to, to get out tonight. Selling Riley to you is nothing. But how do I know you won’t squeal anyway?”
I tell him I’m not leaving the cell unless it’s with Riley. He can see me from his cell across the corridor. My final wish is to be left alone today. So no one else will come. He looks for loopholes, but can’t see any.
“Riley, you’re his bitch for today. Do what he says, or else it’ll be you tonight in the showers,” he says, and under his enraged gaze, Billy has no option but to agree.
“What do you want?” Riley asks once we’re alone. His tone is even, not dominating like he usually is. I smile, and tell him.
“No way, buddy. You know him. He’ll vanquish me to kingdom come before you reach there. Ask something else,” he pleads, nearly in tears. I don’t budge, and he sinks to the floor, shocked.
“So you’ll do it?” I ask him, and he nods, and just leaves. I smile. So far, I’ve clutched the right strings. It is fate – no, destiny – that my idea is bearing fruit.
*****
He has come. I knew he would. I look at Riley and he nods. I look at my reflection in the cracked mirror. I had only got it back recently; reward for my good behavior. I look tired, but I’m ready. As I enter the visitors’ area, I notice the security cameras are turned off. Expected that; I know he’d want to talk with me face to face, alone. He’s in the far booth, his feet put up on the bench, nonchalantly.
“Come to gloat, you bastard?” I ask, and Rincon laughs. Then he agrees.
“The expression on your face is the same one your bitch had when she saw me; though it did change when I slaughtered her mercilessly.”
That catches me off guard.
“She was doing Marty when I walked in on them. I tied her hands to the bed posts, stripped what clothes she had, and pleasured her one last time, hearing her squeal and moan as I kissed her, sucked her nipples, entered her hard. When I chopped her right fingers, her scream would’ve been heard a thousand miles away. But I took care of it, and stuffed her mouth with her fingers. I sliced her open, slowly, watching the soul go from her eyes,” he tells, putting the stress on just the right words, breaking me. I brace myself. I did not see that coming.
I muster courage, and raise my voice. “You’ll be surprised how many people want to screw you, Rincon. I found some in your own cronies. They’re just waiting for a chance to get back at you, and tonight, they have the chance to do it. You’re here, and I’ve arranged for your ill-earned wealth to go up in smoke. Big Mac has the bomb in the vault. I know you told him the combination.”
“No. You’re yanking my chain, Bruce,” he says, but I can feel the doubt in his voice. Big Mac was my manager when I was successful.
 “Mark my words, Rincon… millions of dollars, burnt to the ground,” I shout and laugh like Satan himself.
 Rincon gets to his feet, seething, and slams at the divide. Riley shoots him from behind me. I sit, waiting for him to find the revolver I had Riley place below the bench. He does, but Riley shoots him dead once he gets to his feet.
 I hear other guards rush in, and they escort me back to my cell. I see Billy awake, and nod to him. After a while, Riley comes. He and another guard take me to a new cell. Precautionary measures, just in case.
 I sit in my new cell, and laugh. It echoes through the silence.
 *****
I wake to the sound of heavy footsteps. I see Billy being dragged in, but he’s still putting up a fight. Seeing me, he forces himself free and jumps at me, but the door is solid and only a small window. He spits on my face.
“You son-of-a-bitch, this is your fault. I’ll get Riley for this. I’m still the Boss around here,” he screams at me.
I laugh heartily, and wipe my face. “Hey Billy, guess what? They say I’m HIV positive. Ain’t that a kicker?” I ask him. It’s fun to see his jaw hit the ground, all the energy drain from his face, and his spirit break instantly.
Riley watches the other guards drag a subdued Billy into another cell. “You are a hero, you sod. Saving me from a murder attempt, not giving a damn for your own life, etc etc. If he squeals also, no one would believe him. Go talk to Big Mac, he’ll give you the dough you need,” I tell him.
He nods, wishes me luck, and walks away.
*****
I am strapped to a gurney. Two IV’s are there, put into each of my arms, and I’m ready. I have been for a while now. As I drift out of this world with the first drops of pentobarbital, I remember the last entry I made in my diary. The warden would have made the check on my articles last night.
“This is the last time my pen touches the paper of this diary. I know it and accept it. It is fate that has brought me here. It is fate that I got molested again today, under the very noses of the guards who have tried to keep me safe. I bear no grudge toward the Brawler. It’s not his fault. He’s been a good friend, and was kind enough to offer me an escape tunnel by the early hours of tomorrow morning. I know he’s trying to cheer me up, but I am not leaving to my darling’s side with a frown. I’m happy, and I shall be in Heaven when I meet her again, literally. Goodbye.”
Not long now. I’ll be in the arms of my darling Nita again.

16 comments:

  1. I loved this story. Its simply perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. The murder of rincoln was a nice touch to the plot .Impeccable narration . Boy ! Murder of that girl was gruesome . In one place where billey asks Riley to do as Bruce tells him it should have been 'Riley has no option but to agree' rt ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. An excellent rendition in the first person. One thing that stands out is the way you re-iterate the same thing and then add some more words - for emphasis. For example: Time .. precious time, or memories .. unwanted forgettable memories. It just makes it seem all the more important.

    A lot of your narrative is exactly thoughts transcribed into words and that makes it more personal. Like the way you say : Lunch to be slopped on to a teensy circle of ceramic, had in fifteen minutes and forgotten in fifteen seconds; nope, nothing has changed - that one word ‘nope’ there, is an inner thought of Bruce, the rest of it would probably be the way the jail functions, but throwing that nope in there shows a reader what's going on his mind, his frustration. Similarly, when you say 'Here he comes, the big brute of a man', its almost like you're playing Bruce's thoughts for us on an overhead-projector. Makes me feel as if I am Bruce experiencing those thoughts. Bravo, very well done. Good use of dialogues too. The way Billy taunts him - makes you want to reach out and slap him - i.e. make Bruce want to reach out and slap him. I like how you've put reactions, thoughts etc in between the dialogues. Keeps the flow going! Very smooth.

    Jane Doe would be a little funny to have as a fake ID. I am guessing, even for a fake ID people would go with believable names not the ones that unidentified corpses get tagged with, but hey its fiction, so who knows. Liam Tafferty, now why does that sound so familiar?

    You've written a good relationship between the convict and his lawyer, a warm one. Bruce's sadness permeates throughout the post, even this section with the lawyer.

    I liked the whole background you've talked about with Rincon. Drawing reference from Shakespeare’s for the relation - again, good job! Shows us what events led to his incarceration, how his relationship with Nita evolved from ravaging, to curiosity to love - details without simply following the plot lines.

    You've incorporated the shower scene much later into the story within the 48 hour period - so the plot doesn't open with it already having happened or showing it in flashback as would usually be. That's a creative change, shifts the timeline of the story. Happening in the present gives it a more depressing feel, gives it more emotion rather than having it as a thing of the past. Not that such wounds would ever get healed, am guessing, but having it in the present plus the dark disturbing way you’ve mentioned it (fitting for this plot) adds fuel to the fire for wanting to exact revenge from Billy ASAP, makes his anger and raw hatred for Billy more real.

    The conversations between the angel and the demon on his shoulders is absolutely brilliant. Loved the usage of certain phrases - 'Revenge is a dish served cold', 'The fly has become a lion.', etc. The detailing around those phrases has also been done pretty well supporting the usage of the phrase.

    The twist, getting the guard to call Rincon, mentioning the escape attempt in the diary - those moves are mind-blowing. More the Rincon one than the diary. Setting up Rincon so that evidence would later show as if he initiated the shooting is a master piece and thus, no loose ends for the reader!

    I did not get the part Billy is being dragged in and Billy shouting at Bruce that he would get Riley for it. Were you trying to say that Billy got fingered for Rincon’s shooting? If so, how?

    One word for the entire post: Excellent!

    From a criticism piece, well what can I say? Will have to go at it with a fine-tooth comb or a sieve, even then the ones I come up with will be editing stuff. Like where you say I look at my hands, scarred from the time I broke it in frustration - it or them, since you’re talking about hands in plural? A lot of your sentences use semi-colons, I’ll be honest - will need to read up on their usage - where and when should they be used. I cannot comment on that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amendment: Except, I don’t know how Rincon would have brought a gun inside. Or would they show it as him stealing a guard’s? Hmm, which would mean another guard had to have been on it too! I wonder :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jaish:

    Glad you liked the touch of Rincon's murder to the plot & my narration.

    Yeah. it should be Riley. I dunno how I missed that. I'll update in my blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jaish,

    Thanks for finding the murder touch to be good, and unexpected :) It was something I thought would be good. And glad you agree.

    Yes, that's right. It should be "Riley". I'm not sure how I missed that error. Can I request CS to correct that please? Its just a word, and I'm agreeing in the comments here that it was my error :)


    @Renu,
    Thanks dear :)

    @Deepa,
    Thank you, for all that praise you have showered on my rendition in first person :) I'm glad it had that effect. To be honest, I was wondering if it had that or not. Glad it did.

    Jane Doe isn't the fake ID as such, I meant to say there was no positive ID. when a dead body is found, and it hasn't been IDed, the doctors and investigators call the body as "Jane Doe" or "John Doe" :) I wouldn't know if there was a Liam Tafferty though, coz that name was made up in a moment. Liam from a footballer I was reading about earlier that day and Tafferty coz I had felt like having taffy that day ;)

    Regards the part with Billy, I meant to show that Billy was caught trying to escape that morning. Since he hadn't seen Bruce turn him in, Billy assumed it was Riley who did. (I later show that it was actually Bruce, through his diary that the warden read.) As for the hands part, "scarred from the time I broke it in frustration"... he's looking at the cracked mirror, which he once had broke in frustration, so "it". Repeating "the mirror" wouldn't have sounded nice. Regarding Rincon bringing a gun inside, " I sit, waiting for him to find the revolver I had Riley place below the bench." that would show that Riley, under Bruce's orders, has already put the revolver in place, as part of the set up, to show Rincon tried to kill Bruce, initiated the shooting :D

    Regards the semi colons, I feel my usage would be agreeable. I use it mostly to indicate a slight pause in my narration that a comma just wouldn't have given :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I don't know how I missed the 'last' night and read it as that night - so I thought the timeline was off in the sense that Billy got caught first and then the warden would read the diary - that's why I got confused and hence my question.

      Delete
  7. Nice dreamy opening in line with what I was expecting from your story. I always like it when people draw attention to minute things like dust particles floating around in rays of sunlight. However the first line has a little jarring note where you write “I have less of that.” Maybe we could do a rephrase along the lines of, “Time… precious time; I don’t have much of it left… Just… 48 Hours” or something like that. Also, a nice description of the jail cell itself! Good.

    The paragraph where you introduce Billy has such a syrupy sickening stickiness to it in the overpowering silence and the minute detailing that I had to grin in delight. In particular the line “Lunch to be slopped on to a teensy circle of ceramic”. That line where the guard is “talking with the Brawler” could have been written as “talking with the brawler. No, not talking, taking… taking orders from him.” Maybe?

    Good angle with the news story. It is an effective way to convey the facts of the case. It takes a certain amount of evolution for a writer to employ such technique. However, I would have liked you to approach the line “My darling Nita… a prostitute, whom I had fallen in love with” with a little more softness. It disturbs me out of the setting that you have so far painted. I dislike this line that much more when I read the brilliant part where you have done the back-story build up to Bruce, Rincon and Nita.

    Right at this point when I begin to get grouchy you come in with the Liam scene and deliver a nice little uppercut which brings me back into the state I usually am in when reading your work, admiration. You would make a fine movie director.

    I would have liked some more detailing which could explain Rincon’s extremely violent reaction to Bruce’s refusal to help him pay off his debts. I like that you have seized upon the point I had placed in the plot which said Bruce was convinced of his impotency to extract revenge, and delivered a fine paragraph which traces his psychology as his efforts to kill Rincon fail.

    Moving on, excellent rape scene. You tackled it head on and it was one of the points of discomfort for the participants I had in mind. Good way to introduce the prison break plan. I also like the extreme dilemma playing out in the prisoner’s head as he consoles himself that it is his fate that he cannot act on his hunger for revenge. The ending to this section also has my vote.

    “Revenge is a dish served cold, but I greet Billy with a warm hug as he enters my cell. “
    Nice.

    I also like how Bruce has used Billy’s power to execute his plan and then used the plan to screw up Billy.

    Rincon comes across as a really, truly evil guy. That is very good character sketching. I would have liked Rincon to have first found the revolver and then be shot by the guard. However, it is still an interesting twist, Bruce using other people to execute his plan. Also he seems to have killed two birds with one stone using Riley, who himself would have a strong motivation to get the measure of Billy, and the entry in his diary. Smart guy, Bruce. Lots of layers here.

    To sum it up, you have done a brilliant job with the narration and the conversations. There is also quite a fair bit of detail about prison life. The rape scene has been executed with no squeamishness. You have also used up the allotted no. of words. The characters have been fleshed out thoroughly, and have lots of layers. I wasn’t impacted as much by the death scene as I was by the opening scene. One important thing about this story is that the reader can empathize with Bruce and is left with a positive feeling that he goes to his death after having extracted his revenge. Pretty much flawless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leo! I have already said in chat that this story was, for me, a winner. I make one small suggestion here, however. Could you have somewhere before the end mentioned that Rincon was expected to come and gloat over Bruce? Before he conceives of his plan and, maybe, around where he is reminiscing about Rincon? It would remove that bit of feel of luck about Rincon coming in on that day.

    The other small thing is where you mention 'state appointed defendant'. Bruce is rich - enough to fund assassination attempts - so why would he be stuck with a state appointed defense lawyer? It would be easy enough for you to make Liam his lawyer.

    Small blemishes in an otherwise superlative tale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Sandy,

    I'm delighted at the praise, and that you have brought up my strong points, and given a verdict that it is nearly flawless :) Thank you. I'll now get to your queries, and share my thoughts on that.

    =>The jarring note of opening line: I do like the way you have suggested, but I feel "just.. 48 hours" might show there is a deep sadness to his thought, whereas the directness to that opening line might indicate the "fatalistic" part. As if he's not worried that there's 48 hours, just a passing thought, but still a touch of sadness.

    =>Line with the Brawler: similar to above. He's not worried or jittery in his thought. Just observing. Only when Billy is approaching him does that involuntary feeling of worry or fear cross his thoughts.

    =>Nita part: Yes, this I agree with you. In retrospect, I felt something like "My darling Nita… my love, my only love. The world saw her only her body, but I had felt her heartbeats. She was going to give it all up... for us. She was going to be Mrs. Tracy when she was cruelly taken from me." might have held that softness better. The part of the prostitute was there later.

    =>Rincon's violent reaction: Maybe so, but I gave as little priority as I could to Rincon. I wanted to keep focus on Bruce's thoughts, and Billy. The main secondary characters were to me, Nita and Riley. Nita, was an obvious secondary main, since Bruce is in jail because of her murder, and Riley, because Billy's character of the dominating prisoner needed a guard who was meek. Rincon was the third level character who played an important part only in the climax.

    =>Death scene: I tried to put across some sadness, but since he's having no unfinished business on Earth, and is looking toward Heaven and his darling, it becomes a happy ending, which I don't think is a bad way to finish. Even dark stories can have a happy ending ;)

    Thanks again, for the critique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @CS,

    Yeah, you did tell me you liked the narration a lot, and that you felt it was a winner. Thank you :) Now to your points, and my thoughts on that.

    =>I do open the part where he's meeting Rincon with the line, "He has come. I knew he would. I look at Riley and he nods." and that is followed by the part where Bruce confronts Rincon, asking him if had come to gloat. I felt that line was sufficient to say that Bruce was expecting Rincon's arrival. The character of Rincon that I've painted would allow for that, and also, I felt the reader can imagine maybe that Bruce made Riley call Rincon. (Deepa has taken that route) :)

    =>True. It was another thing I felt in retrospect, but then again, once Bruce was arrested, his silent partner (I do mention this in the story) Rincon might well have frozen Bruce's assets leaving him to convince some friends to "fund" attempted murders. But I do agree that this part could have been made clearer, or made Liam just his attorney.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leo! I take that point. What I was saying is that to some readers it may appear like a chancy thing - since if Rincon prefers to comes only to watch the execution and gloat (and he has the political contacts, right?), the entire plan fails. In my opinion, if you have Bruce already know that Rincon is coming, the plan seems more certain. In your tale, it may still not destroy the surprise element - and if you put it sufficiently near the beginning of the tale, the surprise element may not even be compromised. As for Liam, it is simpler to make him Bruce's attorney. Why go to all the trouble of concocting explanations for something that does not matter at all to the story? :)

      Delete
  11. Something from me..

    1. looking into our little cells as they take their rounds - the verb 'look into' is used with an allegation, circumstance, complaint, matter or some possibility. 'looking into the little cells' is something I would not approve.

    2. in hatred of that man - 'that' should be replaced with 'the' to make clear sense.

    3.as I turn my back to him - as I turn my back on him

    4. I had had no hesitation to appeal - use of past participle looked out of place since you were going all the present tenses way.

    5. I can’t fault Liam for it - I would not approve the use of 'fault' as a verb.

    6. It was my mistake to have made him a silent partner in my business. His power outside grew further, while on death row, and with each botched attempt at ending his miserable life, my morale dropped - the comma between further and while should be replaced with a semi-colon since the part before and after it talk about two different people.

    7. I can’t stand much more - should it not be 'any more'?

    8. as he climaxes - again, the use of 'climax' as a very is frowned upon.

    9. pleasured her one last time - same here ...as above.

    Overall, I felt that you have overused the word 'that'. At a few places, it could have been replaced with 'the', sometimes with 'this' and sometimes not needed at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. Fair enough. I'll consider alternatives for the sentence. Maybe "monitoring our little cells" or something on those lines.

    2. Okay.

    3. Okay.

    4. Bruce had had no hesitation to appeal. He's telling an action which was in the past. So past perfect tense. He's fatalistic in the present, so I felt putting it in present tense would not fit there too.

    5. Perhaps, but I feel it is fine. I did check the dictionary, and there is verb usage too.

    6. Noted.

    7. Felt it could work either ways.

    8. Climaxes is a proper usage. It is 3rd person singular present, and it indicates the most intense part of something. In this case, to intercourse, to indicate Billy is having an orgasm.

    9. Pleasured is also proper usage. I have verified it as well.

    Thanks Diwa.

    ReplyDelete

We love polite people but it is not necessary to be so polite that you will not even point out where we go wrong :) Please feel free to voice your constructive criticism.