Author: The Fool
Author Introduction: I am yet another blogger off the block. When I am not blogging, I toil at a management consultancy firm to earn my daily bread. Reading and travel are other things that compete for my time and money. My main interest in writing is of course fiction. But I also write poetry, reviews, satire, analysis, narrations of experiences at my blog Lucifer House Inc.
The Story:
1
I'm waiting in my cold cell, when the bell begins to chime.
Reflecting on my past life and it doesn't have much time.
'Cause at 5 o'clock they take me to the Gallows Pole,
The sands of time for me are running low.
When the priest comes to read me the last rites,
I take a look through the bars at the last sights,
Of a world that has gone very wrong for me.
Can it be that there's some sort of error?
Hard to stop the surmounting terror.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Somebody please tell me that I'm dreaming,
It's not easy to stop from screaming,
But words escape me when I try to speak.
Tears fall but why am I crying?
After all I'm not afraid of dying.
Don't I believe that there never is an end?
As the guards march me out to the courtyard,
Somebody cries from a cell "God be with you".
If there's a God then why has he let me go?
As I walk all my life drifts before me
And though the end is near I'm not sorry
Catch my soul 'cause it's willing to fly away
Mark my words please believe my soul lives on
Please don't worry now that I have gone
I've gone beyond to see the truth
When you know that your time is close at hand,
Maybe then you'll begin to understand
Life down here is just a strange illusion.
But then I wonder. Am I really at peace with myself? Or is even this calmness illusory? What is that strange terror that is lurking in the shadows of the calmness? Is there still some figment of a soul that is still trying to hang on valiantly, refusing to let go of this body when every connection has been mercilessly hacked away?
Yeah, yeah, yeah... Hallowed be Thy name
Yeah, yeah, yeah... Hallowed be Thy name
Yeah
2
My reverie ended as the morning bell rang. Guards were opening the cell doors and lining up the prisoners. Every day it had been the same schedule for the past six months. The shower and the breakfast, followed by work, then lunch, then work, an hour of recreation, dinner and off to bed. We were all lined up for the shower. As I entered the shower I ran into Billy. Billy surveyed me from head to foot with a smirk on his face.
Billy was one person who could still evoke some emotion in me. Every time I saw Billy, I was filled with repugnance and hatred. The day I entered prison, I was a complete wreck. Everything had been taken away from me. I had resigned myself to the fact that I had hit the nadir of my existence. I had nothing more to lose. Within a month of moving to the closed prison, Billy had proved me wrong.
Life is like a bottomless pit. As long as there is life, you can fall deeper and deeper. When I was diagnosed with AIDS, I thought I had hit the bottom. My days were numbered. But I still had 10 years of life and most importantly: love. My beautiful Sonja, the only person in this world who had truly loved me! But no! That was not to be. I was to see Sonja brutally murdered by that gang of rich perverts. To them a hooker was just a plaything, to be played with roughly, broken and thrown into the dustbin. When I saw her mutilated body, my heart wept tears of blood. I had lost my love. But I had found a purpose in life: revenge. But then the age of vendettas is long gone. We now live in a civilized world that has laws to protect the ones with enough money. Before the dust could settle on Sonja’s grave, I was scuttled off to prison on charges of Sonja’s murder. Skillful lawyers were hired, clues were planted, and witnesses were bought. In six months’ time, the verdict was out: guilty!
I had by then lost any hope of release or revenge. I only wanted to go through the motions and be done with it. So I had opted not even to go for an appeal. In spite of that I was to wait six months before the electric chair could finally end my suffering. Time enough for Billy to show me I still had something to lose: my masculinity!
I had by then lost any hope of release or revenge. I only wanted to go through the motions and be done with it. So I had opted not even to go for an appeal. In spite of that I was to wait six months before the electric chair could finally end my suffering. Time enough for Billy to show me I still had something to lose: my masculinity!
Billy had already been there for some time when I was moved to closed security prison. He had been on death row for more than three years. He was a former boxer who had found more lucrative use than the boxing ring for his fighting skills. Even at the highest levels, revenues from boxing could never match those from bank robbing. And the risks were more or less the same. So he had assembled a gang and managed to successfully execute five bank robberies. But then the law of averages had caught up with him and his last attempt had been foiled. Billy had made a desperate attempt to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. He was a fighter to the last. But his attempts had only resulted in death of three guards that had landed him on death row. But he was still not the one to give up so easily and was determined to make use of all privileges the US legal system offered him. For three years his case had been moving from court to court, prolonging his fateful rendezvous with the electric chair.
While he was in prison, he chose to make the best of it. His leadership skills had come to fore and he had quickly established himself as a gang leader within the prison. Other than his leadership skills, it was rumored that his gains from the earlier robberies were quite a treasure trove and he had it all stashed somewhere. The rumors, other than helping him build a clout with the prisoners, had managed to endear him to some of the prison guards as well which ensured he was kept well supplied with tobacco, alcohol, movies and whatever else he needed. Possibly some of the guards hoped that the information they could not glean through force in their official capacity, they might be able to obtain through persuasion in personal capacity. The only thing he lacked probably was female company. But then even that was not really an issue for he preferred men.
And men were in much more plentiful supply in prison than in the outside world. For ever new prisoner was fair game. He had his eye on me from the day I entered closed security. When I spurned his advances, it had excited the fighter in him all the more. More than the mere sexual act, what excited him was the challenge. The fact that I towered a foot above him and weighed well over ten pounds more than him seemed to have turned him on. He had caught me unawares one day at the showers. He had jumped me along with three of his cronies and he had taken me from behind while they held me down.
I might have still made them fight hard for it. But my spirit was already dead. So I had not been much of a challenge. It was probably his disappointment at being cheated of a fair fight that made him more brutal then he normally would have been. After him, his cronies took me one after the other. I was bleeding badly when they were done and it took quite an effort to limp back to my cell afterwards. This had continued for the next two to three months almost every day. Those months were terrible. It was worse than anything I had ever been through before. It was as if I had lost my humanity and become a nonliving object. Not only was I cheated of death but my humanity was being sucked out of me and I was being subjected to fate worse than death. I was now experiencing what Sonja had experienced all her life and in death as well. In some ways it made me feel closer to her. I wondered how she had managed to maintain her sanity and be her sweet self in spite of being reviled all the time. I was just unable to take it. It had made me a zombie, a dead man without a soul, kept forcibly animated!
The past couple of months their interest in me had reduced considerably. The entire last month had gone peacefully for me without being molested even once. I often wondered at the reason for the same. It was quite an accident of fate that I found out what had been occupying their attention the last two months. But the knowledge of what was keeping them occupied strangely disconcerted me rather than bringing me relief at being spared the regular torture.
I made the discovery one day while I was passing by the prison library. We all had to perform various duties within the prison as part of our daily schedule. The most coveted duties were those at the library and at the kitchen. Unfortunate ones like me landed janitorial and laundry duties. The library duties were completely monopolized by Billy and his gang. This despite the fact that some of them were practically illiterate! But then Billy had a way with the prison officials. I of course stood no chance despite being the most educated of the lot. So I was content if I got general cleaning of the facilities or laundry. Latrine duties were the worst. Latrines can be pretty bad even in decent communities. One can imagine how latrines used by vermin such as those housed here would be.
While he was in prison, he chose to make the best of it. His leadership skills had come to fore and he had quickly established himself as a gang leader within the prison. Other than his leadership skills, it was rumored that his gains from the earlier robberies were quite a treasure trove and he had it all stashed somewhere. The rumors, other than helping him build a clout with the prisoners, had managed to endear him to some of the prison guards as well which ensured he was kept well supplied with tobacco, alcohol, movies and whatever else he needed. Possibly some of the guards hoped that the information they could not glean through force in their official capacity, they might be able to obtain through persuasion in personal capacity. The only thing he lacked probably was female company. But then even that was not really an issue for he preferred men.
And men were in much more plentiful supply in prison than in the outside world. For ever new prisoner was fair game. He had his eye on me from the day I entered closed security. When I spurned his advances, it had excited the fighter in him all the more. More than the mere sexual act, what excited him was the challenge. The fact that I towered a foot above him and weighed well over ten pounds more than him seemed to have turned him on. He had caught me unawares one day at the showers. He had jumped me along with three of his cronies and he had taken me from behind while they held me down.
I might have still made them fight hard for it. But my spirit was already dead. So I had not been much of a challenge. It was probably his disappointment at being cheated of a fair fight that made him more brutal then he normally would have been. After him, his cronies took me one after the other. I was bleeding badly when they were done and it took quite an effort to limp back to my cell afterwards. This had continued for the next two to three months almost every day. Those months were terrible. It was worse than anything I had ever been through before. It was as if I had lost my humanity and become a nonliving object. Not only was I cheated of death but my humanity was being sucked out of me and I was being subjected to fate worse than death. I was now experiencing what Sonja had experienced all her life and in death as well. In some ways it made me feel closer to her. I wondered how she had managed to maintain her sanity and be her sweet self in spite of being reviled all the time. I was just unable to take it. It had made me a zombie, a dead man without a soul, kept forcibly animated!
The past couple of months their interest in me had reduced considerably. The entire last month had gone peacefully for me without being molested even once. I often wondered at the reason for the same. It was quite an accident of fate that I found out what had been occupying their attention the last two months. But the knowledge of what was keeping them occupied strangely disconcerted me rather than bringing me relief at being spared the regular torture.
I made the discovery one day while I was passing by the prison library. We all had to perform various duties within the prison as part of our daily schedule. The most coveted duties were those at the library and at the kitchen. Unfortunate ones like me landed janitorial and laundry duties. The library duties were completely monopolized by Billy and his gang. This despite the fact that some of them were practically illiterate! But then Billy had a way with the prison officials. I of course stood no chance despite being the most educated of the lot. So I was content if I got general cleaning of the facilities or laundry. Latrine duties were the worst. Latrines can be pretty bad even in decent communities. One can imagine how latrines used by vermin such as those housed here would be.
That day I had the duty to sweep and swab the entire prison facilities and I happened to be sweeping outside the library when I heard strange noises inside the library. It was as if someone was digging. I got curious and peeped in through the key hole. And the sight that greeted me - Billy and his men had pulled up the carpet on the floor and were digging vigorously. I wondered what they were up to. Then it stuck me. A prison break!
They were trying to tunnel their way out. Soon these monsters would be free men whereas I who had been brutally abused by them would die a disgraceful death in the next few days. My first thoughts were to alert the prison authorities. But then, on second thoughts, what purpose would that serve? Would that heal my scars? Would that make me whole again? Would that change anything for me? I just had another three days for my much awaited death. Nowadays they had started leaving me alone. If they escaped, so be it. After all wouldn't I also get my release in my own way very soon? However some portion of my spirit hidden in a remote corner of my existence seemed to have taken this opportunity to emerge from its hideout to protest strongly against the unfairness of it all. I was in dilemma what to do. A decision had to be taken. I could not remember when was the last time I had a decision to make in my life. Life always decided things for me.
They were trying to tunnel their way out. Soon these monsters would be free men whereas I who had been brutally abused by them would die a disgraceful death in the next few days. My first thoughts were to alert the prison authorities. But then, on second thoughts, what purpose would that serve? Would that heal my scars? Would that make me whole again? Would that change anything for me? I just had another three days for my much awaited death. Nowadays they had started leaving me alone. If they escaped, so be it. After all wouldn't I also get my release in my own way very soon? However some portion of my spirit hidden in a remote corner of my existence seemed to have taken this opportunity to emerge from its hideout to protest strongly against the unfairness of it all. I was in dilemma what to do. A decision had to be taken. I could not remember when was the last time I had a decision to make in my life. Life always decided things for me.
3
Today I had laundry duty. That was the best I could get. Thank God for these small mercies, considering one such entity existed. My harrowing experiences had made me seriously doubt the existence of such an entity. However that did not deter me from attending religious service at the prison. Religion was one of the very few things I had got from my parents. Religion was possibly one of the things life had considered too trivial to snatch away from me. Sometimes I felt like a martyr saint and it made me feel good. But only difference was they had taken on suffering willingly whereas my suffering was forced upon me.
Laundry mostly consisted of prison clothes. But now and then there was an odd prison guard’s uniform thrown in as well when a parsimonious guard wanted to save up on his laundry allowance. Today was one such day. Something told me the uniform might come in handy though I had no idea for what. I folded it and tucked it inside my shirt and put the rest for washing. Of course I would receive a hiding from the guard when the uniform was discovered missing the next day. But I was far beyond bothering about such trivialities.
Lunch was uneventful. There was the usual vegetable clear soup, the hard breads, a bowl of vegetables and some fruits. Meat was usually a weekend specialty. After lunch, it was back to work. After a couple of hours of work, we had our hour of free time. Some people chose to spend the time reading in the library. Others liked the television room. I preferred religious service.
Service usually consisted of the priest reading out a few lines from the bible and the confession. In my case usually it was more of bible reading. I liked listening to the word of the Lord. It was my only solace during the time of distress. I usually did not have much to confess however, much to the surprise of the priest. What sins would a dog or a cow have on its conscience? That was the kind of life I had been leading. I had never taken any initiative on my own, had always let life take its own course! This is where it had led me. Possibly doing drugs and visiting whorehouses were the two sins I had committed. But that was long behind me. I had never felt the need for another woman after I met Sonja. And she had made me go through de-addiction to kick off the drug habit. I already had my punishment for these two sins: AIDS.
Today the priest read out to me the parable of the master who before going on a long journey gave five talents each to his two servants for safekeeping. One of them just buried the five talents and forgot about them. The other servant invested the money in a business venture and carried out a successful business multiplying the wealth many times. The master came back after a year or so. The first servant proudly dug out the five talents he had been given and proudly displayed them to his master. The other servant on the other hand had multiplied the five talents and had hundred talents to give to his master. The master was very pleased with the second servant. He chided the first servant for letting his talents lie hidden and idle and hence go waste.
The priest then went on to explain the essence of the story. We humans are born with many gifts given to us by God. Some of us use them wisely and multiply them like the second servant while others like the first servant let them go waste. I felt as if today’s parable was a message to me directly from God. I wanted to confess today. I told the priest how I had frittered away all the gifts God had given me. I had been endowed with a strong physique, a nimble brain and a decent education. Still I had not used them wisely and allowed myself to come to such a situation as I found myself now. I blamed fate and God for my misfortunes. In reality it was my fault that I had not taken my life in hand and led it where I wanted it to go. I promised God that I would make a conscious effort to make best use of what little time remained for me.
The day was coming to a close. In prisons the day ended pretty early. Soon it was dinner time. Dinner was for half an hour from five to half past five. I unconsciously took a seat next to Billy. Billy gave a surprised look. I usually tried to keep as much distance from him as possible. He made some lewd remark to me. I just ignored him and focused on the bowl of soup. Then suddenly my hand swept around and upset both our plates. Soup, fruits and vegetables had spilled all over us and we were in a terrible mess. Billy hurled a curse at me and headed to the wash room to clean up. I followed after him.
As soon as I reached the washroom, I knew what I had to do. I gently rapped Billy on his shoulder. As he rose I viciously swung the plate I had carried with me and slammed it on to his face. It hit him square on his nose and a few drops of blood could be seen. Before he could recover I swung the plate at him a second time, this time finding his head. Though he was a professionally trained fighter, I had the advantage of surprise on my side. Before he could recover, I swung up my knee and connected with his belly. As he clutched his belly and doubled up in pain, I reached out and caught his crotch in a firm grip.
He squealed as I tightened the fingers around his balls. It felt good! Really good!
“Well Billy. I heard you are planning a jail break,” I said in a careless nonchalant tone. I have heard it said bullies are often cowards. I was now discovering the truth of this saying first hand. I had the whole plan and also a solemn promise from Billy that I could also escape with them. I was enjoying such power for the first time. And the high I was getting was more addictive than LSD. I did not feel like letting go of it so fast. So I decided to push a bit further while I still held him by his balls. I tightened my hold and twisted his balls.
Billy winced in pain and looked at me pleadingly. The pain must have been so extreme that his voice refused to come out.
“Now, Billy. Tell me where you have stashed your loot. And no funny business please,” I said as I relaxed my hold a bit to allow him to speak.
He must have seen the fire in my eyes and the menace in my tone and realized I would not hesitate even to kill him. So without much trouble I had the location of the loot as well. Now I had to let him go. It was already fifteen minutes and people would be finishing their lunch. If I held him any longer, the guards would be coming to investigate.
I let him go with a final warning, “If you squeal to the guards, you know I too can squeal. And don’t you dare go back on your promise to me.”
He covered his bleeding nose with a kerchief and proceeded to the dining area. He clearly wanted no trouble with just a matter of hours to go before his planned escape time.
4
After dinner I was back in my cell. Sometimes they say fortune favors the bold. And after a life of bad luck it seemed as if lady luck was finally smiling upon me. I had just made a decision, probably for the first in my life. I now got about executing it without an inkling of a plan. I was just keeping my faith in the Lord and improvising along the way. Things had worked handsomely so far.
I walked up to a crack in the wall where I had hidden one of my most precious possessions. It had been precious for sentimental reasons till yesterday. It was a gift from my last friend Samuel. We had shared a cell when I was an under trial. Samuel was a house breaker by profession and he was an expert at his trade. He had considered himself an artist and took pride in his art. He had managed to smuggle a lock pick into the prison and he used to teach me to pick locks during our free time. He had been so impressed at my progress that he had gifted me the lock pick at the time of his release. For me it was more a keepsake in the memory of my friend and I had managed to bring it with me to the high security area in a way I care not mention. Now this lock pick was going to be my savior.
I quietly worked on the cell lock and my success was announced by a clicking sound and prison door swung open. There were no guards around. I quickly changed into the guard uniform I had pilfered from the laundry and walked solemnly towards the library hoping no one would stop me. Luck continued to favor me and I reached the library without any incident. Once again the lock pick was put to work and I was inside the library. I rolled up the carpet and the gateway to my freedom awaited me.
In half an hour’s time, I was in the open air for the first time in six months. I was free at last. For the first time in my life, I felt really free – to take my destiny into my own hands. It was an exhilarating feeling.
I would now make best use of this opportunity God has given me. God has parted the prison walls to let me pass through like he parted the Red Sea for Moses. God has taken away the wealth from evil Billy and given it to me like he had taken away the Holy Kingdom from the evil Saul and given to David. Billy would never enjoy his ill begotten wealth. In a couple of hours, they would find out that I was gone during the end of the day prison head counting. The tunnel in the library would be discovered when they searched for me. Billy's escape attempt would be foiled at the last minute and his escape route would be sealed for good. It would be long before he came up with another. He would rot in jail while I would carry out the work of God in my remaining years and redeem myself before the final Day of Judgment. I would be the Holy Crusader. I shall exterminate all vermin; breakers of faith; destroyers of humanity from the face of this earth. The murderers of poor Sonja shall be the first to face the wrath of God.
I found that a very interesting twist - that Bruce denies Billy a chance at escape not by squealing but by using the tunnel before him.
ReplyDeleteI see that you have kept dialogues to the minimum again. I think you should use more in fiction.
Thanks, CS. Somehow this being first person narrative, I thought I should avoid dialogues. I was thinking from the way I would narrate my personal experiences. But I think you were asking me to use dialogue even while narrating my nostalgic experiences. I should keep that in mind. Here somehow I wanted to keep the entire narration to a single day and intensely focus on what goes on inside his mind. Now thinking of it, I think if I had used dialogue, I needed more words as well. Strangely 4000 words suddenly seems too restricting.
DeleteTF, I am not sure if I am qualified to comment in the workshop here -and I expect to be excused- but I would like to express my appreciation for the way you have dealt with the mental turmoil of the protagonist, and the way you have filled in about his life, moving back and forth in time. he has certain delusions about himself which is quite appropriate given his situation. You have meld that Iron Maiden number well into the story.
ReplyDeleteYou have got a great thing going here. Here is wishing the best to all of you!
Thanks Umashankar. If you are not qualified, I wonder who else would be qualified. I know you don't do contests and prompts. But I am hoping you will participate in one of the editions here.
DeleteSimply wow, kudos
ReplyDeleteThanks, PL.
DeleteWOW...... I am truly speechlessss
ReplyDeleteThanks Renu.
DeleteNote: I am no expert and the review below is strictly based on my experiences with reading crime fiction/thrillers. Please consider this review as an attempt to help, this is strictly constructive criticism, no offense intended.
ReplyDeleteThe interspersing of poetry with prose is brilliant, not very common but not unheard of. The fact that its narrative poetry and tells a story or talks about his innermost thoughts is even better. It keeps the pace of the story moving, at the same time, they're not so long that a reader expecting simply prose fiction would skip over. Well placed. Smaller paragraphs of the story also give a feel of the story being fast-paced, so that's good too!
I particularly liked the whole paragraph - of I've loved ... eternity. That line: 'Life has been systematically draining me of every emotion. ' is extremely poignant. The placement of the 'Billy rapes Bruce' discovery is also very effective. You've done a good build-up of how Bruce's life is in tatters and how its so bad that you would think nothing else left to go wrong, and yet, how one can be proven wrong. The whole piece about Billy raping Bruce makes me feel sick, the plot had it in one line - which was only a few words but your extension of that is impressive - because making one sick through such a scene means it achieved the desired effect.
Interweaving religion in there, is again a very smart move. Very Catholic, reminds me of Jodi Picoult's book Change of Heart. The conversation/interaction between B&B in the washroom was impressive too, had me squirming a little. Eewww.
Overall great piece of fiction TF, very fast moving, gripping, a good read. The only thing that jumps out at me is that the end is actually none of the three options that Sandy has pitched. In Sandy's plot, we have either he squeals on Billy, or convinces him to escape with Billy or does nothing. This one seems to a fourth. Its a smart option I would have to admit, but I will leave it to Sandy to talk about whether it follows the plot or not!
PS: I am curious, why did Bruce never use Samuel's lock pick until now? Even attempt anything?
Also: You might want to recheck tenses in statements having multiple thoughts in there combined with an AND. Like ‘I would rather the torture ends this minute and my miserable life would finally be snuffed out’. The first part is in the present and the second seems to be in the future. Would it fit better as ‘I would rather the torture ends this minute and my miserable life gets finally snuffed out’? I am not sure, I have read quite a few books where past and present get combined; but just a thought.
Thanks a lot, Deepa. I am glad the dark scenes worked. I usually don't do dark scenes. This time I purposely took them on as a challenge instead of twisting the plot to bypass them.
DeleteWell, as I said Bruce had no intention of escape till he had that moment of truth. And without a tunnel, even if he had picked the lock, what purpose would that have served.
For a writer who does grammar by instinct moving across time and writing and editing in gaps, these errors do creep in.
The poem is actually a song by the band 'Iron Maiden'. The title is the name of the song. I don't listen to songs and I am already using a song in a poem a third time. Seems I should listen to songs more.
I am not a big fan of English songs, no particular reason, just doesn't appeal to my desiness - I remember crooning the boy band, girl band songs while in high school but that had more to with what others around me did then! :) Now its back to classical based Indian songs, for myself, for a reason I can't put my finger on, love them!
DeleteIn this context, even better. For those who do know the song the lyrics fit perfectly to the situation at hand, and for those who don't, its a great piece to be in there!
Hi!
ReplyDeleteGood to see your entry. Alright, here are some thoughts I hammered out. This will have to be posted in two sections
Section 1
You know, I am really at a loss for words about the tenses in the opening paragraph. It does not feel right to me but I can’t put a finger on the exact part which makes me feel it is not right. I will attempt to rewrite it a bit, just to satisfy my own restlessness. I certainly don’t claim this is any better and I am not sure yet on the word usage “very well have done” in my attempt.
“At 5 o’ Clock, they would be taking me to the ‘Gallows Pole’ alright, but not today. While my sands of time were running low, the hourglass of my life held two days of time yet. However, come to think of it, I could very well have done without the two days. I would rather the torture ended right this minute and my miserable life snuffed out than suffer another minute of this maddening incarceration.”
The problem with first person narratives is that moving back and forth in time often messes up your tenses. I once wrote a three part story about a real life incident. Only after I finished the series did I realize that I had written the first part entirely in the past tense, and the other two in the present tense. I suppose the trick is not to mix up tenses within one paragraph and try to separate narratives about the present and narratives about the past into different paragraphs. However, as your story develops, the tenses feel just right. Shaky start maybe?
I like the two paragraphs where the narrative examines Bruce’s own emotions. It is things like that that allow the reader to burrow into the mind of the narrator. It is best if such an examination involves allowing a peek into the dilemmas bothering the mind of the narrator for that draws the reader in into trying to solve the dilemma in his own head. You’ve done that successfully.
I also love the extensive background that you have developed for Bruce and Billy. Sketching out a character’s past is very important so that the reader relates to the things happening in the story. Also there is a very good prelude to the rape which delves further into Billy’s psyche. Relating the ordeal of being raped to Sonja’s life, that is a masterstroke.
The part where Bruce concludes that he was going to make a decision instead of life making a decision for him is what I call a “thunderclap” moment. It was a good way to introduce steel into the spine of a man who formerly considered himself a zombie, but I think you understated it a little. I would have liked it if you had ended such a pivotal point in the story with a question to entwine the reader (a technique CS has employed very well in his entry). There was a good punch waiting to be delivered there.
I think the initial part suffered because I tried hard to synchronize it to the song without seeming to contrived. Did not want to let the full song run and then start. Wanted to interweave and in that I might have ended up making weird sounding sentences.
DeleteGlad you liked the prelude to the rape. I wanted to build anticipation and bring it on a shock. But everyone who reads this already know what would happen.
I think you may be right about the thunderclap. But I did not want to fully reveal my hand so early. I wanted to slowly drop hints to build credibility but really bring it on a surprise to the reader when he attacks Billy.
Section 2
ReplyDeleteMoving on to the next part, I am delighted once again with the detailing you have done on prison life. Describing the laundry and the food and the service and such things were an important part of the exercise in my mind. However, not only have you described everything in sufficient detail, you have used the description to provide insights into Bruce’s thinking. The parable, I was expecting, and it really sealed the deal for me. Good fight scene too, except I wanted Billy’s nose to gush torrents of blood instead of a “few drops”. Excellent work though.
There was a little too much luck in the escape sequence, and I would have liked it to be a bit more action packed. However, I really like the twist in the tale where Bruce escapes first (!) thus sealing Billy’s fate. But like in the first paragraph, I feel there is a certain jarring note when the tense changes into “has”. I feel the “had” would have been more effective. I like how you have adopted a biblical tone, which fits in perfectly with a prisoner who has been exposed to biblical studies in an oppressive environment. It is also fitting that the prisoner upon escape feels exhilarated and gives himself the persona of a holy crusader out to exterminate evil scum on earth. It is a ripe ending for a sequel to the story.
To sum it up, you seem a little cramped by the first person narration, but your brilliance in plotting more than adequately makes up for it. You have delivered a beautiful detailing of daily life in prison, but I still want more “flesh” on the characters. There are a couple of punches you did not deliver, but you caught me squarely on the jaw in a lot of other places. Also, the tone of strident redemption at the end, tied up around a neat little twist in the plot, more than satisfies me as a reader. I also like the song. Kudos.
Descriptions are the tough ones to write without making them boring. Glad you feel I have done a good job. I did want blood to gush. But then I feared prison guards may notice. I have never written violence before. The moment I saw this topic I wanted to write violence. All the rest of my story was a build up for that one scene.
DeleteI could not have made him escape within 48 hours without luck. Did not have the heart to let him die in prison or grovel before Billy.
And I liked your comment about the sequel. Actually I felt like a sequel at the end. In fact I thought if I could make a super hero out of him. I think there is a super hero in some movie who is dying of cancer. And a fantasy novel I read has a hero dying of leprosy. So a super hero dying of AIDS might be a novelty.
Fleshing characters seems to be the major flaw in my writing. Suresh has been stressing the point to me about my writing in general since ages.
I would like to add a couple of points about the fleshing of characters, TF! In fact, spending time on doing that would eliminate some inconsistencies in this tale that are readily remedied by modifying some descriptions. For eg. you have Billy labelled 'a fighter' in the bank robbery scene when he kills the guards. You have a throw-away sentence about prison guards not being able to get the location of the loot in their official capacity. In the major action scene, you call him a bully and hence a coward. The other two descriptions are not really central to the story and can be readily eliminated or modified. (he killed the three guys in a panic, for eg.) Keeping them in makes Billy's character inconsistent or leads to that impression. If you flesh the characters out in your mind, then such inconsistencies will not creep in.
DeleteAs for that luck, I did tell you in the conversation we had that you could have brought in the lock-pick much before Bruce gets to know of the tunnel - merely as a reminiscence. You could have had a short conversation with the guard who checks up whether you have laundry duty the next day and says that he will give his clothing for the laundry. If later you bring in the tunnel and have Bruce put all ingredients together for the escape it seems much less like luck (It will still be luck, all right, but it will seem more credible to the reader).
Thanks Suresh. I was aware of the inconsistency about Billy. But I am still not sure if through narrative it was possible to make it sound feasible that Billy had let out the location of his loot but told it to Bruce. You are right about saying I should have said he killed in panic rather than calling him a fighter. The other one I wanted to leave it vague how prison guards were not able to get the location as I was not sure how to explain it.
DeleteThe luck part - there is a challenge in you approach. Bringing it on early makes the who series of events predictable. I know you don't value surprises as they are valuable only for a single read. But as a writer it is fun surprising the reader. The surprise would have been lost if I had spoken about these too early. Lock pick and guard's uniform are dead give aways at a stage when the reader has not clue which direction the story is going to head.
I wanted to portray the guard's uniform and lock pick as a kind of subtle hand of God favoring him as Leo rightly pointed out.
DeleteI think Sandy and Deepa say the critiques quite detailed. I like the interwoven poetry and narration. It made me wonder if Bruce was a poet too :) The point that Bruce doesn't use the lock pick until that final moment brings out that earlier notion of everything being fate quite well, and even the idea to keep the escape route in the library was to me, a masterful touch. I wouldn't have thought of a library.
ReplyDeleteThanks Leo. As I had mentioned to Deepa, that is not a poem. It is an Iron Maiden song. Good you were able to see the angle of how fate suddenly changes direction. I wanted to bring that angle.
DeleteI got the idea of library from some TV series - prison break I think.
Iron Maiden!!! Love this song and love the band even more!!
ReplyDeleteThis was a wonderful mixture of philosophical and dark fiction. The fatalistic approach of the protagonist is portrayed beautifully and the manner in which you describe the way of life in prison is excellent.
The rape scene was done very "tastefully" and like Deepa said, made people squirm which is good because that is exactly what is intended. So great going there.
I loved the fact that religion and God played a major role in this story, especially the fact that Bruce feels so fatalistic towards the end that, one "sign" from God was enough to push him over. That was a stroke of masterpiece from your end, TF. It makes for a wonderful read.
A couple of typos here and there... "But the today is not the day." (the extra 'the'), "He had caught me unawares one day at the showers." (He caught me uawares...)
I agree with both Sandy and Deepa about the tenses part, although I could not for the life of me figure out what went wrong. It was just that something was amiss.
I like the name Sonja.
I liked the way you spun the story in a way that was completely out of the box. Everything - the basic storyline of Bruce escaping before Billy, the immense detailing, and the ending in such a way that all the loose ends are ties although there is room for a sequel. Kind of how "The Dark Knight Rises" ended.
There's nothing more to be said than what hasn't already been pointed out.
P.S I'm sorry I'm late but still better late than never, I guess.
Thanks a lot, Indolent. Good you took time even after the end of contest to read and comment on my post.
DeleteGuess it became jerky because I was writing on the train. I wrote it in pieces on the train and later during breaks on my trip to Kanpur.
I like how you mention dark knight. I was thinking of some kind of a super hero sequel only. Glad you notice the different kind of name. It was a variation of Sonya from Crime and Punishment - to make it sound East European. I remember seeing East European call girls in prison break.