Monday, 29 October 2012

Yummy


Author: Jayashree Srivatsan

Author Introduction: I am Jayashree Srivatsan a.k.a jaishvats and I blog at http://jaishwrites.blogspot.com I am an Indian currently residing in Singapore with my husband and my little boy. I have always been passionate about creative writing. I started blogging in 2010. Though it was initially for fun, blogging has now become an integral and serious part of my life. I have made a lot of online friends through this medium and that definitely is a huge motivation factor.I aspire publishing my work of fiction in print someday.

Story:

The cacophony of voices spewing filth and abuse, blended with the clanking sounds of mugs and plates, permeate the entire expanse of the dining area. Loud thuds from overturning tables and falling men rise from a corner. Perhaps a brawl is brewing up again.
Sounds!  Extremely loud sounds!
They reach my ears and transform almost instantaneously into nothingness. Some nerves have become totally impermeable now.
A spoon of the tasteless gravy reaches my numb taste buds, and a drop spills on my lap. I watch the red oil spreading slowly, causing a stain on my orange robe.
Orange! Sheryl’s favourite colour! A cringe forms on my face as a memory of the warmth I used to feel in her arms enfolds me. Ironically she was in her favourite orange flowered frock when I had found her that night at the street corner. The stain reminds me of her bleeding stab wounds and the way she had clung to me, fighting as best as she could to delay the closing of her eyelids .Perhaps she knew they would never open again.
The uniform had been given to me on my first day here at the Arlington State Penitentiary. Now, I have thinned down to almost half its size and it is clinging on loosely to my frail body. I am sitting alone on the dark green wooden bench that feels cold. As usual there is no one by my side.  They are ruthless convicts. Yet, they are terrified of some things in life. Like AIDS.
I am sure it must not have come from Sheryl. She was a hooker but she always played it safe. The needles and syringes that used to transcend me to a utopian trance of ecstasy should have stealthily diffused the virus into my veins. I had given up drugs because she forced me to.  Strange girl, Sheryl! Some of her beliefs were quite contradictory to her profession. Guess she had been too late in making me give them up. Anyways, what difference does it make now?
Day after tomorrow I, Bruce Tracy would be administered one final injection – the lethal one. Injections – They seem to be competing with one another to take my life. One went for the longer route and the other is going to be instant and quick!
He should have been in my place! That bastard! That brute of a man who thrust his knife into her again and again!  I had caught a good glimpse of the ghastly expression on his face that night.  I had been hunting for him like a werewolf. Had I succeeded, I would have ripped open his gut with my bare hands. Luckily for him, the police got to me before that. All evidence pointed against me. How could I kill Sheryl? MY SHERYL! May be, like many of them say, all this has a reason! Perhaps she is waiting for me! Somewhere!
The brawl keeps getting louder and suddenly the sounds subside. One side must have won.
The penitentiary is perennially quivering with tension and strife. There are some who have landed here purely due to a quirk of fate. Then there are the hardened criminals - Burly men sometimes sporting sinister-looking tattoos with their eyes spitting a whole lot of venom. Some of them even carry razors and pen knifes. They know how and where to procure them. Bloodshed is an unofficial component of the daily routine at Arlington.
“Bruce! We need to talk!” I look up and see Willis staring down at me with a very weird expression.
He occupies the seat opposite mine and looks around to make sure that none of the patrolling guards are at a earshot distance.
“Billy has made a plan for bustin’ outta here, man! Mike and Adam have been diggin’ that tunnel for over a month now. I hear it starts somewhere near the soccer ground.  The plan is to fly the coop tonite, buddy! I owe you man, for all that you did for me. I think you should go talk to Billy. This is a perfect chance Bruce! A perfect chance to get away! Flee.”
Willis looks around again to make sure that he has not caught the attention of any of the men in dark blue and makes a casual inconspicuous exit.
I deposit the plate at the collection counter and start walking towards my cell. Death row prisoners did not have to join the other inmates for work. Apart from the basic activities like eating, showering and sleeping, the only job one had was counting the minutes left to breathe ones last.
Today the others are also returning. Incessant rains have resulted in work getting called off.
I sit on the hard bed and stare at the ground. The shackles had been removed after the judgement but they had left a permanent deep blue scar that encircled my feet like an anklets.
“This is a perfect chance Bruce! A perfect chance to get away! Flee.” Willis words keep echoing in my head.
My thoughts turn to Billy. Billy the brawler! At six feet four inches, he was probably the tallest person in the entire prison. He was half way through his sentence for armed robbery. This had been his fourth and longest prison sentence.
I remember the first time I had met him. It had been my second day and I was seated at the lunch table. Suddenly I became aware of somebody standing behind me. I could not see who it was and something prevented me from turning back to find out. Yet, a feeling of absolute terror jolted down my spine. I sat glued to my seat , perfectly still.   I heard a snigger and a hard cold hand pressed on my shoulder. A stench of body odour stormed my nostrils as I felt long unruly hair brushing against my cheeks. Billy licked my neck a little above my right shoulder and said ‘Yummy! Really yummy! You seem to be one yummy bloody bitch” and he walked away.
A feeling of dread interspaced with shades of disgust engulfed my entire being. A premonition that this was only a prelude to a much more harrowing encounter crept up and spread like a wild creeper in my mind. The wait was not long. It happened two days later, in the showers.
I was standing facing the wall letting myself go in the cold splash of water against my face.
“Yummy” a disgruntled voice sneered from behind. I tried to turn and received a hard blow across my right jaw. Blood spat out from my mouth and got sprayed against the wet wall. My vision got blurred but I was clearly able to make out Billy’s naked figure standing over me with a menacing grin. A torrent of blows showered upon me mainly around my chest and abdomen. I perfectly knew what was coming but was in a vanquished state – physically and morally and in no position to defend myself. With a brutal and vicious force he raped me. I was almost knocked out unconscious yet I was perfectly aware of what was happening to me. The others in the shower were totally unperturbed by the sight or the groans coming from me as if it were a television running in a corner. Leaving me in a pool of blood he left saying “I was right! You are one helluva yummy bloody bitch”
Homosexual acts are an accepted routine within these walls akin to basic activities like eating and bathing. “Men” hook up with “Boys”. Apart from the sexual gratifications they sometimes develop intense strong relationships that last forever. Sometimes it is merely a display of superiority and power; an exploitation of the surrounding weaknesses.
But there are rules; Unwritten rules that everyone followed. No ‘Boy’ takes easily to his ‘Man’ messing up with another inmate. Taken ‘Boys’ are also never targeted. There were one or two exceptions like Billy who made his own rules. His modus operandi was simple – find a new target every now and then from amongst the new inmates; someone vulnerable and submissive. Then he would attack them once, be done with it and never approach them again. Not all new entrants triggered his liking. Only he knew what characteristics they possessed that attracted them to him. As days passed, I had become well verse with the otherwise general code of conduct. This knowledge had helped me protect a few newcomers like Willis and his tip off was a token of gratitude.
A distant rhythmic sound distracts my thoughts for a second. It must have started to rain. Water is dripping somewhere.
I look out of the window and take a glance at the barbed wire atop the high rise prison walls. A bald eagle is perched on it and is facing the world that stretched beyond. What constitutes the panorama subjected to its vision I wonder!
There have been some moments when I imagined about something out of the blue that would plummet me out of these corridors into the world outside. For a taste of freedom again!
A chance to live my life once more! A life where I decided what to wear, what to eat and above all what to do!  
A chance to be in some warm and bright place – far away from the darkness and rancid interiors that these grotesque walls encircled, where gun yielding men did not watch my every move!
But now- I don’t feel any such want or desire. In fact, I only have a feeling of impatience towards the impending execution; an intolerance for the remaining hours.
Even if I escaped, what sort of life would I be able to lead with the blood sucking virus plaguing inside of me?
By now, my belief in the unsurpassable distance between dreams and reality is quite firm.
Once successful at escaping, there was only one way for a fugitive to survive. More and more crimes!
I am here for a murder that I did not do and I have never actually been a part of any serious crimes. With my physical condition how would I survive?
The law does not take prison escapes lightly. The escaped convicts would be hounded and tracked down like animals.   
If I escaped and got caught again, the sentence would not change; there is nothing higher than capital punishment. In a death sentence, it’s the agonizing wait that is more torturous than the actual execution. Living with the knowledge of when you would die is the perfect definition of hell. I somehow sailed through that tormenting phase and am perfectly ready for salvation. I don’t want to change this chapter of my life. Let it end the way it was decided.
I actually don’t seem to have any reason to live either. My Sheryl is gone and there is no soul to cry for me. 
And escape at the mercy of Billy? Death is definitely a much more honourable choice.
Anger and rage fume up like wild fire inside of me. My knuckles turn white as I clench my fists.
That brute does not deserve a place outside.
I shudder at the thought of the wild rampage he would unleash if he was successful in getting out.
Men, young and old, teenagers and even kids would only appear as delicious flesh to that maniac.
I am aware of what happens after a foiled escape attempt. The ones involved are subjected to solitary confinement for weeks, and sometimes months. There would be absolutely no contact at all with the other inmates.
Breaking the heavy security at Arlington requires a whole lot of guts, exceptional intelligence and hard headed acumen. Guts, yes Billy would definitely have but the brains? I don’t think so. The chance of success for their plot is definitely very minimal.
He would be bundled off straight to solitary confinement chamber and the showers would be relieved of his barbaric acts.
Soon its lunch hour and my thoughts are still hovering over Billy and his plot to escape.
I hear a huge guffaw. Billy is seated at a table and laughing loudly. Every muscle on his massive body seems to be shaking separately. A timid looking guy probably in his early twenties is seated opposite to him in almost a crouching position.  Billy the brawler is busy bullying.
I close my eyes for a second.
I take a deep breath to confirm the decision to my own self. I then rise up from my seat and walk towards Edwin, one of the guards. One good thing to do before I die! A piece of revenge for a piece of peace!
 “Yummy” I say to myself.

18 comments:

  1. Nearly perfect I think. You capture Bruce's helplessness, that resignedness to fate being dominant, keep the darkness to a minimum yet not losing sight of the plot, and end the narration with the choice that Bruce makes. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. And I find the title very intriguing and revealing very little. Keeps the surprise of the story well, maybe even too well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot Leo . People who step in with no idea of the plot will get a huge surprise I suppose ha ha :) yet to read the rest of the entries . Now that I am done can get started with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Brilliant opening line. Dead center of all the filth in the prison. The actions showing the numbness of auditory sense, taste etc - well done! Drop of oil - orange - Sheryl’s favourite color - the flow of events leading to her memory - fantastic! The way you’ve shown Bruce sitting to one side thinking even as the brawl is going at the other side, his musings spelled out with pointed reminders in between about the brawl is classy.

    There isn’t too much description of the activities in a prison but with the fast-paced narrative you had, the lack of it doesn’t bother me, except from the perspective of this exercise, I would have loved to see more. ‘The penitentiary is perennially quivering with tension and strife.’ - Summed it up for me!

    Bruce’s introductory scene with Billy is slick! Thumbs up! As expected, the darkness is kept to a minimum, and for this storyline it seems to be sufficient. for a reader reading a fast-paced story like this, it probably won’t be necessary - but for this exercise, I would have liked to read some backgrounds on both Bruce and Billy. Maybe even some on the relationship with Sheryl. It is definitely commendable however, how you’ve managed to complete the entire story with simply the two primary characters. Willis and the guard at the end are barely mentioned.

    English usage is excellent. Some minor editing faults: ‘one or two exceptions like Billy who made his own rules’ should have been ‘made their own rules’. Also, wouldn’t well verse be well versed?

    Its nice how you have mentioned what Bruce did for Willis, because after the initial tip-off I was wondering! Some of the paragraphs, phrases or statements that you have employed give a solid punch to the entire story. The paragraph of looking out the window and the bald eagle, its panorama - excellent! Similarly, the last line about ‘A piece of revenge for a piece of peace!’ and ending it at Yummy. Wow!

    His inner conflict towards the end at being offered the way out, has been well described. The way he talks about freedom and then finally concludes that it’s not worth risking the escape because what would he even do if he escapes? It doesn’t show his weakness but in effect shows his strength, logical thinking behind the decision - the contemplation of what would happen to his sentence if he’s caught etc. How he abhors death at the mercy of Billy choosing death over it - well in line with what a rape victim would think about his rapist. No open questions there. He answers all of those.

    A very different end than what most posts have, the resigned attitude, yet the decision of not letting Billy escape - very determined character that Bruce is shown to be.

    Barely in there with the word limit, but somehow it doesn’t seem like you needed to add more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all kudos to you Deepa for leaving such detailed review comments on each of the entries . I notice that you , Sandy (not the USA one :) ) and II have been doing it . Even when u are judging that's a tough task .

      Hurrah ! That's a whole lot of positive feedback and I am almost dancing like prabhudeva hi hi .

      About the description of the activities inside the prison , after I was done writing , I tried to add in a few lines . But they seemed to be a little out of place and deterring the flow and so I removed them . I could have worked on it a little more as you said .

      Initially I was not at all comfortable with the plot I mean when I read it the first time . Remember I even asked on fb if I could skip this one . But it was actually a lot of fun . I surprised myself there :)

      And yeah thanks for pointing out the editing faults . I did proofread but sometimes when u do that u keep picturising what u have written and sometimes oversee things . Does this happen to the others ?

      I was waiting eagerly for the comments . Now awaiting the other two judges & of course from the others at indifictionworkshop


      Thanks again .

      Delete
  5. The mind-set/mood story, in my lexicon! Good job, Jaish! There is only one small improvement that I'd suggest. You mention the man who killed Sheryl and Bruce's hunt for that man. Maybe a line about senseless killing or some such thing would close out the open question of why she was killed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah . Initially I thought of ending the story with a line on a newspaper article about a serial killer targeting hookers getting caught and Bruce's sentence being called off . But then I thought that was too much drama . Moreover I liked endind it at 'yummy' in line with the title :) but as u said some other explanation within the plot could have been added .

      Delete
    2. Your ending was perfect! Had you chosen the newspaper headline route that would have marred the story!

      All of us read the story with the given plot in mind. So, when you mention that killing and Bruce's wrongful accusation, we know where it is coming from. Any story, however, has to hang together by itself. For a lay reader, when an author mentions a killer and a wrongful accusation it is needful to close it out. That is the only reason why I mentioned the point. Were you writing this story without any plot requirements, you would probably not even have Bruce wrongfully accused since it is not required for your plot :)

      Delete
  6. Nicely developed, Jayashree!

    I may be wrong but I think you have to force yourself to write dark tales like this one - its not in your DNA to think this way.

    The drama played out in Bruce's mind has been described well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Jayadev! Its definitely not in my DNA ha ha :) It was not easy but I actually enjoyed the exercise! :)

      Delete
  7. Hey, nice to see you here.

    Section 1

    Excellent opening lines. The stain part reminds me of those art movies where they freeze down every action into its individual parts. For e.g. they will show the hero go to the kitchen, survey the utensils, pick up a glass, hold it under the tap, fill it with water, bring it to his lips, then gulp it down slowly. It is a technique Russian writers use a lot, and since I have been heavily influenced by them, I can’t but help my bias come through. The death scene is moving too. Nice.

    Nice touch with the uniform bit to jam in a bit of physical description. Good back-story development in the next paragraph. I really can’t find anything to point out.

    Injections – They seem to be competing with one another to take my life.
    I like this line.

    Nice paragraph depicting the violent emotions swirling inside Bruce’s head. I tried, just as an academic exercise, to rewrite it, but failed, you are that good.

    The brawl keeps getting louder and suddenly the sounds subside. One side must have won.
    This line is a master-piece. I have read this sort of technique before in a commercial potboiler, but I am sorry I am unable to give you a reference. I will try to work this sort of “background noise” into my own repertoire.

    You follow up that master-piece of a line with yet another menacing paragraph about life in prison, what with burly men with tattoos and razors and knives woven into the description. These are the things that make a prison dangerous, and this paragraph is a very good example for people looking for pointers on scene sketching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Section 2

    I have had nothing but admiration for the narrative so far. However, the first significant bit of conversation employed reveals too much of the plot. Willis practically reveals every detail, even without any prodding from Bruce. That is a little unnatural for people who are in a place where words need to be carefully measured, don’t you think?

    I suffer from a similar problem. Purely as an example, if you read the post about Narendra Modi that I have done on my blog, because I am biased in my mind in favour of Modi, in all my conversations between two characters debating his politics, the guy speaking in favour has the bigger dialogues and the guy speaking against has weak arguments. I am not sure if the same applies to you, but this happens to me when I have done a good narrative and am impatient to move on with the plot, but am forced to use conversations to convey some of the plot.

    Apart from the basic activities like eating, showering and sleeping, the only job one had was counting the minutes left to breathe ones last.
    Nice, very nice.

    The shackles had been removed after the judgement but they had left a permanent deep blue scar that encircled my feet like an anklets.
    I am getting repetitive in my praise, but your narrative is filled with such brilliant lines. Amazing detailing.

    Billy licked my neck a little above my right shoulder and said ‘Yummy! Really yummy! You seem to be one yummy bloody bitch” and he walked away.
    This is a brilliant paragraph. I could almost feel Bruce’s disgust and fear. At this point of time the narrative has hammered me into Bruce’s shoes, which is where you, as an author, can afford to smile.

    A feeling of dread interspaced with shades of disgust engulfed my entire being. A premonition that this was only a prelude to a much more harrowing encounter crept up and spread like a wild creeper in my mind.
    Again this is a nice line. However, I am in two minds about this. Is this a “Kill your Darlings” line? Would a prisoner on death row be capable of such complex comparisons?

    I tried to turn and received a hard blow across my right jaw. Blood spat out from my mouth and got sprayed against the wet wall. My vision got blurred but I was clearly able to make out Billy’s naked figure standing over me with a menacing grin.

    A torrent of blows showered upon me mainly around my chest and abdomen. I perfectly knew what was coming but was in a vanquished state

    The “got” in both the places, the “mainly” and the “perfectly” is unnecessary and only serves to slow down the action, which by itself is very good. When writing violence, try to go over every sentence and eliminate any word that you can do without. Short, snappy, fast! Hit the reader with sentences that are easy to comprehend so that they can follow the action as it happens.
    Good rape scene, though it lacks the sort of violent detail that would disturb your readers. However, a very good and true to life description of homosexual activity and psychology in prison settings. The only hitch is that it sounds a little academic and bland. However you do get extra marks for the effort put into that part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy

      Thanks for this detailed a review and your words of appreciation have put me on cloud nine. You are definitely very generous there.... :)
      Thanks for that point about the usage of unnecessary words. That was a good lesson learnt. As for 'Kill your darlings' , I have no idea what that is...I did google but am still not in the dark about the connection.
      You have rightly pointed out , sometimes I do get ' impatient to move on with the plot' . But here I picturized it as Willis quickly giving him a tip off in a hushed tone before buzzing off. Thats y I framed it like that. But as you said, it could have been much better I suppose.
      As for violent rape scenes, thats way out of my comfort zone and guess I did not dare to venture too far :)

      Delete
    2. typo there .... 'still IN the dark about the connection'

      Delete
  9. Section 3


    A bald eagle is perched on it and is facing the world that stretched beyond.
    Nice line. Bruce is clearly a very educated guy if you go by his thoughts. There should have been more detailing about this aspect in his back-story for the narration to feel right to the reader, who will go into the story with a stereotypical image in his mind of a convict on death row, who is suffering from Aids and is a former drug addict.
    There is some nice bit of psychological profiling which follows. Purely from a technical point of view, why so many one or two line paragraphs? One line paragraphs are very effective to convey pivotal points in a story, for e.g. to announce the sudden death in an accident of a central character of the plot. In this case, I got a little side-tracked and felt like the narrative slowed down, and the general tendency when this happens is for the reader to skip the section entirely.

    Soon its lunch hour and my thoughts are still hovering over Billy and his plot to escape.
    Did we lose the time frame here?

    So Bruce decides to expose Billy’s plan. Nice to see an entry which takes this option. I feel that the ending could have had a little more punch, but there is nothing to complain about really.


    To sum it up, you can sit back and bask in the glow of being acknowledged by me as a master narrator :P. Some writers are plotters, and some are narrators, and you are clearly the latter. Narrators see detail which most people miss, and your entry is replete with rich detailing and fleshing. So far I have not seen any entry which employs the classical physical description for characters, but there is still enough for me to be able to visualize the characters in my mind. However, my hunt for that textbook character description still continues. The strength of your raw and brutal narration, in this entry, is blunted somewhat by a little mildness in the conversation and by the fact that the ending was flawless technically, but lacked the punch that some of the other entries have had, mostly because they employed the twist in the ending technique to perfection. I would have had no hesitation in declaring your entry my favourite if you had socked me in the jaw with a little surprise in the ending, but that takes nothing away from the fact that, when it comes to a first person narration, this is one of the better entries. 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the detailed review Sandy.

      No , lunch hour was not a loss of the time frame. I thought the first meal was breakfast :)

      As for different paragraphs, my idea was to club similar thoughts in each para, like what happens to those trying to escape, how dangerous Billy would have been if he escaped etc but I ended up adding unnecessary new paragraphs there....Oversight during proofread!

      Delete
  10. Something from me..

    1. A cringe forms on my face - the dictionary says that the word 'cringe' can only be used as a verb and not a noun.

    2. The uniform had been given to me on my first day here at the Arlington State Penitentiary - when you use the adverb of time, it is better to use a simple past tense instead of past participle. Here also, there is no comparison of time, i.e. one event happening before the other, simple past tense would have made more sense.

    3. She was a hooker but she always played it safe - the second usage of 'she' could have been eliminated.

    4. left to breathe ones last - one's last.

    5. Soon its lunch hour - soon it's lunch hour

    ReplyDelete

We love polite people but it is not necessary to be so polite that you will not even point out where we go wrong :) Please feel free to voice your constructive criticism.